Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:20 AM   #26
WolfMoon

Hmmmmm, I love how the story about the benefit focuses on only one victim and then takes a nosedive straight into being about fucking music!

Fucking publicity-hungry basrtards!

Sorry Loy, I guess I didn't make it in time to see the story you had originally posted. Guess it's not important enough to be news after a week or so. Doesn't make people any less dead by the gods!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #27
Empty_Purple_Stars

I hope Loy doesn't mind, but I would like to share one of the few well-written stories about this unthinkable moment by Seattle's own, The Stranger.

Burial at Sea
A Victim of the Capitol Hill Murders Is Laid to Rest

BY THOMAS FRANCIS

Jason Travers used to comb the shore of Lowman Beach Park in West Seattle for sea glass. Now his ashes are to be scattered here. Travers was among those who died in the Capitol Hill shootings March 25. His family has invited me to the ceremony.

It's hard to get to know a person after he's dead, but it's worth a try.

The deceased are entitled to unqualified praise. From Mother Theresa to Genghis Khan, they're all remembered as "gentle" and "kind" and "loving." For survivors, maybe it's easier to handle the round edges of generalities. Specifics are sharp.

But each of the people here holds clues to the real person that Jason was. His father, James Travers, tells me how his son's first rock concert was the Clash, playing London Calling. Jason was four years old and slept through it, while his father spent much of the show caring for the stranger next to him who'd cheered so hard he hurt himself. James has a beard, as Jason had recently worn. James is affable, a storyteller. And he's inquisitive, as people at the ceremony also say of Jason. Since he arrived from New York last week, James has met friends of his son who tell him how much like Jason he is.

"That's a wonderful compliment," James says.

Jason's mother, Judy, looks exhausted, barely strong enough to lift the cigarette to her lips. She moves slowly, resting her head on the shoulder of her ex-husband or whichever one of Jason's friends is closest. "He called me last Friday from the beach out here," says Judy, looking toward the coast. "He was in such good spirits."

There are about 40 friends at the ceremony. Most don't want to speak to a reporter—they've been deluged by e-mails and phone calls from media (admittedly some of these came from The Stranger). So I hang back; besides, I can think of no good questions to ask.

We all walk methodically out to the shore. It's bright and cloudless but there's a chilly sea breeze. One friend, B. C. Murdock, claims to be an ordained minister (of the "Universal Life Ministries," he tells me later) and he carries out two wooden poles, connected by a string from which Tibetan prayer flags are dangling. Yelling above the surf, Murdock directs the others to pile rocks around the stakes. "Put thoughts into the rocks as you put them there," he says. "We want it to withstand the tide."

It's an informal ceremony. Jason's family and friends huddle against the wind. One woman is wearing all black except for a pink cowboy hat and pink boots. The last person to wear them, she says, was Jason, who danced around a living room in this ensemble a few days before his death.

Someone else remembers how when Jason had jury duty he tugged nervously at his beard, placing each plucked hair neatly into a bag he carried with him. All funerals should have anecdotes like this.

A young man with an unruly beard of his own says, "One thing that stands out to me is that he never ever had anything bad to say about anyone."

"I met him when I was 14 and he was 22," says another young woman. "He never treated me as a kid but as an equal and as someone whose views were worth hearing."

No one mentions punctuality—this was an imperfect aspect of Jason's character—but they remember how he used the Socratic method to challenge other peoples' notion of time. He took a "subjective" view on that matter, they say.

So Jason would not have been bothered by the attendees' tardiness in scattering his ashes—it was supposed to happen during his favorite minute of the day, 4:20 p.m., but it's already nearing 5:00.

Jason enjoyed marijuana. The last bowl he smoked was with Kyle Huff, at 2112 East Republican Street. Of all the ironies in this story, none is harder to accept than Huff's choosing this group of people to murder. He was a stranger to them; yet they invited him to their home, shared their sofa and beer keg and pot stash. "Jason," says his mother, "helped everyone from a stray cat to a stray human."

To meet his friends, one can imagine how they might have absorbed into their circle a wayward soul like Huff. They all seem to have the same absence of guile. "We're a bunch of outcasts," explains Jen Kercher, a friend who along with her partner, Amy Cline, is hosting today's gathering.

Like his friends, Jason rebelled against the alienating sense that he existed outside some objective definition of coolness. They'd all ganged up against that feeling, routed it. They might have helped Huff do the same.

It's clear, though, that Huff had already disengaged so completely that he couldn't have recognized potential friends. He had stockpiled guns and "enough caps for all you fools," as he put it that terrible morning.

Had an audience encountered irony like this in a film it would be rejected as disgusting, excessive—and for those reasons too obviously fictional. The unsettling thing about March 25 is that we can't reject it. It happened.

But there's no sense of rage this afternoon at the beach. Jason's father even asks everyone to keep the Huffs in their thoughts "because that family must feel pain, too." He opens a plastic container the size of a salt shaker and there's a plume of ash, followed by a short, sad round of applause.

The ashes that aren't scattered on Lowman Beach will be distributed among other locations Jason adored: His friends in California get their share, some will land at Snoqualmie Falls, some in Albany, NY, where he went to high school, in Costa Rica where he spent a memorable vacation with friends, and at Bruce Lee's grave on Capitol Hill, a short walk from the blue house where Jason was murdered. Kung fu movies were another passion of Jason's—the only one, as best I can tell, that contained any hint of violence.

Source
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #28
Loy

EPS-don't mind at all. As I said to you, The Stranger was the ONLY news source who gave this story the intelligence, objectivity, brevity, depth, and scope this story deserved.....really, out of EVERYBODY, The Stranger was the only paper worth reading. I'd say "Thank you, Dan Savage", but most everybody else has.....

The fact that, as the Stranger ombudsman calls them, "a bunch of stoned chimpanzees banging away the most offensively vile verbiage week after week" could rise head and shoulders above everybody else in the media.....well, I guess you should all think about not only media, but your relation to it.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #29
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I'm so sorry Loy. This is horrible. I could never imagine this happening near where I live. It's scary and stupid. For someone to just go off killing people like that. It's gross and horrendous. I'm sorry this happened so close to you.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:10 AM   #30
Puppet Master

I know this is a bit late, but I am sorry to here about this. Do they know anything about motive yet? e.g. anything at his house that would point hate?

This reminds me of the Sarah Payne murder. Her body was found in my village, and it sent shockwaves down the community. As no one really thinks about death that much I have relised till it happens near them.

Some people think its all fine and dandy if the death is happening a million miles away from them, as if it is not near them it does not concern them. But its when it happens in your village the reality hits home, and then people start caring.

I am so sorry to here about the loss of those effected by this. Human nature can be sickening somtimes, and mentality can be a frail thing, and put me in mind of some family members, whose actions in life I would rather not say.
Puppet Master is offline   Reply With Quote