Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
CptSternn

U.S. to end war on medical marijuana in legal states

http://tinyurl.com/yg74meo

Quote:
WASHINGTON/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – In a sharp policy shift, the Obama administration told federal attorneys not to prosecute patients who use marijuana for medical reasons or dispensaries in states where it has been legalized.

A Justice Department official said the formal guidelines were issued Monday to reflect President Barack Obama's views. The Bush administration had said it could enforce the federal law against marijuana and that it trumped state laws.

The decision was praised by activists in California, the first state to legalize medical marijuana in 1996. But concern remains among some medical and law enforcement authorities about hundreds of clinics said to be selling pot under the protection of state law and without regard to health.

A spokesman for California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger issued a brief statement in which Schwarzenegger appeared to support the policy change:

"The governor believes it is appropriate for the federal government to focus their resources on criminal activity and securing the border," the statement said.

As a candidate during his presidential bid last year, Obama said he intended to halt raids of medical marijuana facilities operating legally under state laws.

After he took office in January, a Drug Enforcement Administration raid on a dispensary in Lake Tahoe, California, raised questions about whether he would follow that pledge.

A White House spokesman repeated Obama's view that "federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws."

Stephen Gutwillig, California head of the Drug Policy Alliance, called the move a good first step.

"There is a fundamental need of patients to access marijuana as medicine right now," he said. "While it's great to see the Obama administration radically de-escalate the Bush and Clinton administrations' war on medical marijuana patients, more needs to be done to protect sick people and their caregivers."

CALIFORNIA LEADS THE WAY

About a dozen states have followed California in adopting medical marijuana laws and a similar number have pending legislation or ballot measures planned on the issue.

Gutwillig called on the Obama administration to support a proposed by Massachusetts Democrat Barney Frank that would give states the right to adopt their own medical marijuana laws.

But the head of a California drug rehabilitation clinic criticized Monday's move as irresponsible.

"The Justice Department is required to enforce all federal laws that are on the books," said Jerrod Menz, president of A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center, said in a written statement.

"Imagine if the administration took a similar stance on immigration policy. Can you imagine the outrage?"

Attorney General Eric Holder said the Justice Department would continue to prosecute people who claim to comply with state or local law but were concealing illegal operations.

"It will not be a priority to use federal resources to prosecute patients with serious illnesses or their caregivers who are complying with state laws on medical marijuana," he said. "But we will not tolerate drug traffickers who hide behind claims of compliance with state law to mask activities that are clearly illegal."

In California, critics argue that lax regulation of the law has led to the mushrooming of dispensaries operating for profit, rather than for the public good.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley this month announced a crackdown on dispensaries that sell for profit and to people who do not qualify under law.

Cooley said in a statement that he welcomed the new policy as "clarifying the federal government's role in handling illegal medical marijuana dispensaries" and said it was consistent with the position taken by his office.

"The attorney general's announcement recognizes that those dispensaries operating in violation of state law are subject to prosecution by the state and federal governments," he said.

"A collaboration of numerous agencies, including federal, state and local police, county and city prosecutors, will combat the proliferation of illegal medical marijuana dispensaries in Los Angeles."

A Justice Department official said federal prosecutors will not hesitate to prosecute medical marijuana cases that involve unlawful use of firearms, violence, illegal sales to minors, money laundering or other violations of U.S. law.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
CptSternn

Could this be the beginning of the end for the 'war on drugs'? I guess we will have to wait and see...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Despanan

Not a moment too soon. Good to see the guy is actually following through on his campaign promises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Not a moment too soon. Good to see the guy is actually following through on his campaign promises.
When did Obama make promises about marajuana?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
When did Obama make promises about marajuana?
Dude, it says it right in this article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the friggin' article sternn linked
As a candidate during his presidential bid last year, Obama said he intended to halt raids of medical marijuana facilities operating legally under state laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Deadmanwalking_05

Well it's about fucking time.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
ape descendant

The U.S. needs to end alot of wars. Bleh.
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
KissMeDeadly

Finally. Maybe now they'll start talking seriously about legalizing it. I mean, I understand why crack and meth and actual drugs are illegal, but marijuana is just harmless.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote