Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-17-2004, 02:23 AM   #26
Icegoblin

Just saw SKINDEEP starring John Ritter.
The muscule woman was scary but in a gooooood way :twisted: (I cant remember where else Ive seen her though).
John Ritter was the one of the masters of the physical comedy.
Many great bit parts by "then" unknowns circa 1989.
Glow-in-the-dark condom fight makes it very difficult to view STARWARS the same way ever again. :shock:
Icegoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:06 PM   #27
Perfectly_Flawed

^^
Hahaha. Speaking of condoms ... that reminds me of the ol' condom gum joke. From such movies as An American Werewolf in Paris.

The last movies I've seen are Big Fish and Bridget Jones' Diary. I liked Big Fish, though both my friend (the person I saw it with) and I thought it was missing something. Couldn't quite put our finger on it ... visually, it was incredible. And it was quite an amazing journey. The cast was stellar; I particularly liked Helena Bonham Carter. I could relate to her character best ... with the whole unrequited love thing.

Those poor, lonely women with their cats.

A piece of dialogue which I found quite inspirational was "The more challenging a task is, the more rewarding it will be when you've completed it". (Or something along the lines of that). Edward Bloom's ambition and drive was quite admirable.

Bridget Jones' Diary ... I just love that film. Bridget is a truly likeable main character (VERY important for that movie). She makes you cheer for her, our heroine, as she stands in her knickers and flimsy cardigan, kissing the prince she's waited so long to find.

I haven't read into the sequel ... wonder what it's about.
Perfectly_Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:27 PM   #28
Daz

tonight, instead of studying for my looming exam i took off to the largest mall in the world to watch "City of God". besides the fact that at the beginning the movie was half off the screen making reading the subtitles kinda hard (none of us understand portugese) and the sound was really bad for the first little while, and then the movie kept cutting out, it was really good. based on a true story about a kid growing up in the slums of the city of god in the 70's. how the gang wars started and finished. it moved along at a good pace, good enough that even though we had to sit for at least 20 minutes waiting for them to fix the sound and picture it was quite easy to get back into the story. all in all it was a great movie and i'd go see it again, although not at that theater.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #29
Darkness_Of_The_Night

The last movie I watched was DAREDEVIL

D_O_T_N
Darkness_Of_The_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:21 AM   #30
ohthefuckwell

i watched one today....el espinazo del diablo (the devil's backbone)

actually, i started it last night, but since i had to actually LOOK at the screen to read the subtitles & my son was in denial about his bedtime, i had to keep stopping. if my spanish wasn't so rusty, it would have been ok.

now....i was slightly disappointed because it wasn't quite as good as i'd hoped. i want to be clear: it wasn't a bad movie, just not as good. it was directed by guillermo del toro, the same guy who directed mimic (which i liked), blade 2 (which i STILL want to see, but haven't yet....thank you, fucker), and he's also directing hellboy (which i am now looking forward to). he also wrote the movie.

anyway, it's about a boys home in post-war spain in 1939. well, it's about more than that, really. the boys are sons of fallen or fighting republican soldiers and is run by a woman whose husband died fighting for the same cause. there's a murder (actually, several murders), gold, sex, deceit (LOTS of deceit), and the ghost of a young boy who tells the newest resident repeatedly, "many of you will die."

the description called it "chilling". eh....it was slightly cooler than room temperature. to me, the scariest part was when dr. casares drank the "limbo water". *shudder*

BUT one of the best moments for me was towards the very end when dr. casares recited the newest poem he'd learned to his dying carmen. that's how i want to go....to have the one person in the world who TRULY loves me, right by me, holding me, reciting heartfelt poetry to ease my transition & to say goodbye. however, i don't want to be like carmen by way of not realizing how much this person loved me until it was almost too late and only realizing it because my lover less than half my age pointed it out to me.

Stay by my side as my light grows dim,
as my blood slows down and my nerves shatter with stabbing pain,
as my heart grows weak and the wheels of my being turn slowly.
Stay by my side as my fragile body is racked by pain,
which verges on truth, and manic time
continues scattering dust and furious life burtsts out in flames.
Stay by my side as I fade,
so you can point to the end of my struggle
and the twilight of eternal days at the low, dark edge of life.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #31
Moon_Creature

I just watched the black and white "Scarface" in my media english class. I think it was an ok movie except the audio was total crap and I couldn't hear anything so I had know idea what was going on. I just know that people were shooting each other alot.
Moon_Creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:58 PM   #32
MorganScorpion

"Oneigin" - with Ralph Fiennes - it was actually a pretty boring film, but it had some beautiful visuals, costumes and scenery; oh, and Ralph Fiennes was in it. What a gorgeous man!

"Underworld" was the film I saw before that. I really enjoyed it, especially Bill Nighy as Viktor. I also liked the fact that it had a couple of plot twists that I didnt see coming. I usually spot them a mile off .
MorganScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #33
free_of_soul

silence of the lambs

its old and its...ok......
free_of_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 05:24 PM   #34
Morpheus_Noctifer

I just finished watching Blazing Saddles. I'm a fan of both Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder, so when I relax it's either that one, Young Frankenstein, or Space Balls, which I know doesn't have Wilder, but it's still funny. And like most movies I watch on DVD, I keep the Director's Commentary on.
Morpheus_Noctifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #35
ohthefuckwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus_Noctifer
I just finished watching Blazing Saddles. I'm a fan of both Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder, so when I relax it's either that one, Young Frankenstein, or Space Balls, which I know doesn't have Wilder, but it's still funny. And like most movies I watch on DVD, I keep the Director's Commentary on.
you should add history of the world part I in there somewhere.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #36
Morpheus_Noctifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthefuckwell
Quote:
That's one I've only seen twice, primarily because I haven't gotten around to purcasing the DVD. I'm also waiting for Robin Hood: Men in Tights to arrive on DVD. What can I say, laziness in purchasing movies is one of my vices. :lol:
Old 02-29-2004, 06:48 PM   #37
ohthefuckwell

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's one I've only seen twice, primarily because I haven't gotten around to purcasing the DVD. I'm also waiting for Robin Hood: Men in Tights to arrive on DVD. What can I say, laziness in purchasing movies is one of my vices. :lol:

i love that one, too.

"and why should the people listen to you??"

"because, unlike some other robin hoods, i can speak with an english accent."
Old 02-29-2004, 07:02 PM   #38
Morpheus_Noctifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i love that one, too.

And don't forget Atchoo's line to Rottingham: "If I was that close to a horse's nuts I'd be more worried about getting pissed on."

And one of my favorite bad puns (another vice of mine): Rottingham - "Would you care for a date?" Maid Marian - "Yes" Rottingham - "How about next Thursday." lol.

Good use of bad puns is priceless in a movie.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #39
ohthefuckwell

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i love that one, too.

And don't forget Atchoo's line to Rottingham: "If I was that close to a horse's nuts I'd be more worried about getting pissed on."

And one of my favorite bad puns (another vice of mine): Rottingham - "Would you care for a date?" Maid Marian - "Yes" Rottingham - "How about next Thursday." lol.

Good use of bad puns is priceless in a movie.
oh, yes....corny puns. gotta love 'em.

and....the double entendres.....for this reason, i love mel brooks. 8)

"don giovani, if i may say so, your lizard looks limp."
"yeah, well, when you get to be my age.....oh! my lizard! oh, yeah!"
Old 02-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #40
hellschild

Chindlers List
hellschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:25 AM   #41
OnMyOwn

i saw sleepy hollow like 3 weeks ago.I want to see Big Fish :cry:
OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:50 AM   #42
SombrChik21F

hi

The last movie i saw was "The Missing" I found it very fascinating and its been the best movie to come out in a few years, but that's just my opinion....
SombrChik21F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:02 AM   #43
MrMaelstrom

"Secretery" Fucking lovely flick and a must for any fan of BDSM.

Here's the Yahoo comment:

"Lee Holloway (Maggie Gyllenhaal) has a few strikes against her when she applies for a secretarial position at the law office of E. Edward Grey (James Spader). First, she was released only recently from a mental institution; second, after one day back with her dysfunctional suburban family she has succumbed to her secret obsession - self-mutilation. Somehow, she gets the job anyway. Then again, Mr. Grey is far from a normal boss. They embark on a relationship together, crossing lines of conduct that would give most human resource directors shivers. "
Old 03-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #44
MorganScorpion

Gosforth Park.

It came to me as a complete surprise. The video rental shop was out of everything I wanted to see; apart from a few films I had seen already. I took this one out in order to fill a few hours - being a period movie I thought it wouldn't matter if it wasn't much good, as I would at least enjoy looking at the buildings, costumes and decor.

I was completely engrossed in it after the first five minutes. It was so complex and yet so simple in its plot; in fact there were about 100 stories interlaced into one; I felt intrigued by every single character, including the ones that were only onscreen for five minutes in total. Although there are a few stars involved, no-one dominated the movie; in fact, everyone was a star - even the dog. Especially the dog.

I loved it so much I rewound it and watched it again; and if it hadn't been due back at the shop, I'd have watched it a thitd time. Odd for me, as I usually only watch horror and sci-fi.
MorganScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #45
MrMaelstrom

Good for you Morgan, you learnt something, and that's all you can ask for in life (actually, I think there's a shitload more youSHOULD ask for, but anyways...)
Old 03-05-2004, 04:05 PM   #46
Suzuhara

The last movie I saw was the "Queen of the damned" I realy like this movie.
Suzuhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 04:37 AM   #47
TacitKat

Brotherhood of the wolf, Event horizon, and Faust

It was a very boring day...but at least the movies were good. (if odd)
TacitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 11:33 PM   #48
WickedLee

I JUST got finished watching Return of the Living Dead
and before that I saw Anger Management. Tomorrow
I'm gonna go see Secret Window starring Johnny Depp and
his hot self....

Which brings to mind Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (Which I saw before Anger Management). Cool, weird, trippy movie. It's funny seeing Depp as a balding nerd addicted to LSD instead a Don Juan DeMarco.

As of this moment, I am watching Kissed. The TV Guide description makes it sound like its about a chic who's a Necropheliac (or just has tendencies) and some guy finds it fascinating. Sounds pretty damn interesting to me.
WickedLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 10:37 AM   #49
black_fairy

One week ago I saw Kill Bill, from Quentin Tarantino. I really liked it, I want to see the second part (in June or July, I think)
Old 03-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #50
Ravena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofatragedy
Just watched "Lost Boys". Oh, how I love to drool over a 80's Kiefer Sutherland...even if he has a mullet. :lol:
yea, that was a great movie man...

Davena says:

wow, that sounds like an advice column in the newspaper....

anyways, the last movie i saw was......i can't really remember. must not have been good. oh! it was Dirty Dancing Havana Nights. i saw it on Ravena, i mean with Ravena..... :twisted: so yea, kick ass movie. hot latin boys dancing pretty dirty with hot , scantily clad latin chicks. oh yea. my kind of movie.

oh, and i LOVED the third LOTR. KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peter Jackson has outdone himself again. much love to the best director ever
I've had you my way.
Orgy~The Spectrum
Ravena is offline   Reply With Quote