Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 11-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #201
ionic_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
I'm not irritated. All of the information available to me indicates that people are made happy by their community. You on the other hand seek only to do what is best for you, failing to see that what is best for you is in fact to put your community ahead of you, bettering the world around you and in turn bettering your own life. Being happy really isn't subjective, I think you may be confusing it with joy, which is a whole different kind of thing and is pretty subjective.
Um, no. I'm not made happy by my community, primarily because my community is made up of people who, just as in any other community, are lazy, selfish, and rude.

I base my happiness on myself, because, were I to place my happiness on how the community or others are doing or feeling, I would almost certainly be very unhappy. Furthermore, the positive effects of one person upon a community are usually fairly small, so I wouldn't even really have control over my happiness.

I'm not saying that I never try to help those around me. But when I do, I do it for my God and because it is right, not because I care whether my community is in great shape. It's an eminently rational perspective - if I cannot effectively change others (which no one can, only you can choose to change) - why should I base my emotional state on that?

I love getting up in the morning. (Well, mostly. I also love sleeping, and my loves collide.) I love working, even though I don't particularly like what I do, or some of my coworkers (though Jo is great to work with). I love coming home, I love studying so I can hopefully change my career, I love arguing here to improve my writing and logical skills.

From my perspective, I believe that humans are generally little monsters, but that's not going to change the fact that I like being alive and enjoy what I do, even if it's not all that is potentially out there. Yes, I stretch for more and sometimes things are difficult, but I'm hardly going to change my outlook based on the fact that others are miserable.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #202
Godslayer Jillian

You know what, the argument of a violent revolution is bullshit anyway.
There's so much violence and suffering and oppression in the world which isn't an accident that happens in the system, but the necessary conditions to perpetuate this system.
Yet I don't see you complaining about that much violence and shit going on.

"Oh, I don't want Superman to stop this bus from keeping falling. I don't want to deal with the headjerk."

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:12 AM   #203
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
And Pin was clearly saying that violence would occur from it.
Which motherfucker would be stupid enough to take up arms against an entire goddamn community?
"Hey man, pull your socks up or we're not going to work for you any more. You can go join another community that doesn't care."
"Oh yeah? Watch me pull some Rambo shit on you dumb motherfuckers!"
Nuh.
Uh.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #204
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Which motherfucker would be stupid enough to take up arms against an entire goddamn community?
You, apparently. Good luck with that.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #205
PortraitOfSanity

Clearly Pinstripes is more in tune with JCC's personal beliefs than JCC himself. Amazing.

That or he's simply ignoring the argument at hand to fling shit and cheap shots at people who disagree with him, I can't decide. Help needed!
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #206
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
You, apparently. Good luck with that.
Yeah, I never once said that Anarchism requires the majority, let alone reiterating it several times.

You're a fucking idiot and everyone sees through your shit.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #207
ionic_angel

Pith, you're never going to get GJ or JCC to agree that Anarchism is bad because it's too hard to get there, because:

A) They see the eventual result as being worth almost any cost

B) They believe it can be accomplished without violence.

The fact is that Anarchism would be worth the revolution if their pseudo-religious belief in the goodness and intelligence of man was actually correct. It would be worth it even if only for future generations.

The problem is that humanity is filled with very smart and unethical people who will instantly take advantage of any lack of controlling authority. Because there is simply no reason not to. Unless we suddenly develop extremely efficient matter-energy and energy-matter converters, we are going to always have to live with limited resources.

And, even if I can live with an equal distribution, I see no reason why I should. Why shouldn't I just take yours and have twice as much?

Everyone likes to respond to that with a "well, that's EVIL", which was basically Jillian's response. To which I say, "so what? It makes me more comfortable than working for my own profit."

The problem is not the means of creating the change, the problem is that the end-state relies on an utterly unrealistic and idealistic view of the world.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #208
Godslayer Jillian

That's the one argument that has merit against Anarchism. I will still disagree: people are not inherently egotistic. Egoism would drive an anarchist society for the benefit of all, there's no problem with egoism. But egotism just makes no sense.
But in any case, if humankind were inherently egotist, and everyone had the same amount of knowledge to know when they're being fucked over, there would be so many people wresting power from those who try to have more than they deserve. It's illusory that you think that you can excel and have people under you if you admit that they're as 'bad' as you.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:15 AM   #209
ionic_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
That's the one argument that has merit against Anarchism. I will still disagree: people are not inherently egotistic. Egoism would drive an anarchist society for the benefit of all, there's no problem with egoism. But egotism just makes no sense.
But in any case, if humankind were inherently egotist, and everyone had the same amount of knowledge to know when they're being fucked over, there would be so many people wresting power from those who try to have more than they deserve. It's illusory that you think that you can excel and have people under you if you admit that they're as 'bad' as you.
No, because you fail to take into account the effects of fear.

Our fear of authority is biological. As social animals, we establish hierarchies instinctively, and we instinctively fear disobeying those higher up. People do not rebel even when they are being exploited because they fear the pain, humiliation, and death that authority figures can inflict on them. While numerically it might be true that the odds are low that you will personally bite it in an Anarch revolution, no one wants to risk it. It's a big reason people won't sky-dive.

Furthermore, while the only thing that can normally violate this fear is selfishness, it is typically a completely disruptive selfishness, which seeks to establish its possessor as the new, hierarchical head of a self-created system. In other words, in any unstable system - which Anarchy must needs be to provide freedom of choice (and here I use "unstable" to denote a lack of forceful control over human actions) - humans will instinctively seek to ascend over their brethren.

This is the fundamental failing of any system that seeks to provide a truly free or truly collectivist society: that the human animal is endowed with a self-centered need to not only take all it can get - an unenlightened selfishness so easily detectable that it need not be argued - but also the urge to dominate all others until the specific human meets an animal that cannot be dominated. This can be observed in almost any social situation - cliques, groups, and organizations are always dominated by a leader or pair of leaders - and even the pair is usually dominated by one or another of the two.

A leader leads - and I know this sounds Nietzsche-like - because his followers are afraid of the consequences of taking him down, and fear their lack of ability to confront the control structures that have elevated him. At the same time, they hope that the leader will use his power to provide for them, usually through the method of taking resources from someone else.

It might be argued that the fear of the community will thus enable the creation of an Anarchic "state". However, this is false - a truly Anarch state does not have an enforcing-sense, but only an agreeing-sense, otherwise it is not Anarchy, but Tribalism. In addition, even the tribal state is usually dominated by a rapidly rotating (in terms of who retains the office) alpha-male/female who has destroyed or subverted all effective opposition. The Anarchic society would not even have these protections.

Once an individual rebels against the Anarchic, he has effectively destroyed it. If his fellows destroy him, they have eliminated Anarchy, for they have effectively made themselves an oppressive democracy of the majority, and we know the fatal flaws of true democracy. Should they not destroy him, he will certainly recruit like-minded individuals to his side, and dominate by force his fellows for his personal benefit.

Another problem with your argument is that you are assuming Anarchy is better than the current system, from that arguing from that that egotism would thus entail rebellion because the current situation is deficient in comparison to Anarchy, and thus using that to prove that Anarchy is good and will work because otherwise people would be rebelling against the current system.

I could as well argue that people do not rebel against the current system because they realize that it is as good as it will ever get, since Anarchy is false.

Both arguments are invalid because they rely on an assumption of the idea in order to prove the idea.

Ultimately, even in our society we do get a large number of people rebelling against the ideals of our society. We call them criminals. In an Anarchic society, this number would be amplified by the lack of a coordinated response to such persons. And even though one might argue that some crimes are caused by conditions that you believe Anarchy will correct, it is glaringly clear that many, many criminals are much better off than others who do not commit crimes.

The fear of punishment - pain - is what keeps most people from doing evil. You may not believe this, but imagine the temptation that would be placed on you if, every day, a bag of cash ($45,000) is placed in an alley near you, and not picked up until midnight. Never supervised, no cameras, no policemen...and the cash can't be traced.

What would keep you from taking the cash? What odds would you give that the bag would be there at midnight if everyone in town knew about it? What about half the town? What about twenty people?

Most people wouldn't even give good odds on it being there if twenty people knew about it, under such circumstances. It is fear that drives people not to exploit others, fear that protects us from our neighbor's inner predator.

Anarchy removes that fear.