Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #351
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Duckman knows where it's at. Plus who doesn't love the fact that Sakura's brother and his friend (the one she liked) were Gay lovers. Don't believe me? Read the Manga <3
Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #352
the-nihilist

Who wants a body massage?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #353
Crying_Crimson_Tears

FLCL rocked as well.

My fiancee owns the whole series. We are working on owning the Bleach boxsets that are out, and I watch it every Sunday morning on Adult Swim.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #354
Keni

oh wow
im surprised nobody said this first. . .
but my favourite is Deathnote
Keni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #355
Keni

oh wow

there are eleven pages of this ? ? ? ? ?

well then .
yes , someone probably did say Deathnote before me.
Keni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #356
Mr E Nigma

Desert Punk, Trigun, Fruits Basket, Chobits, Last Exile; Mobile Suit Gundam
Old 01-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #357
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Tenjho Tenge and The Getbackers are two I forgot to mention.

They are both really good animes.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #358
Saya

Serial Experiments Lain is hands down my favourite, but I also loved Paranoia Agent, Mononoke, Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, Elfen Lied, Lucky Star and Mushishi. I keep meaning to finish Azumanga Daioh, so I dunno if thats a favourite yet but its shaping up to be. The theme song randomly gets stuck in my head a lot >.>
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #359
PortraitOfSanity

My girlfriend's really into anime and manga. Some of the books I find pretty cool, and the shows I can kinda watch or at least admire the art. But the only show I can really get into is Ghost in the Shell.

If anyone has recommendations for another cool one, that isn't too... um... "omgloljapaneze",example: Chobits, I'll take it. Most of my girlfriend's stuff is way over the top cheese, so getting ones I like from her is hard. I prefer cyberpunk though.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #360
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Serial Experiments Lain is hands down my favourite, Elfen Lied
My friend is big into those two. I haven't watched them yet. How good are they, and what are they about?

Anyone seen When They Cry? It's fucking creepy.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #361
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears View Post
My friend is big into those two. I haven't watched them yet. How good are they, and what are they about?

Anyone seen When They Cry? It's fucking creepy.
Serial Experiments Lain is amazingly good. You won't like it if you want something that has a lot of action, but I just loved how I still don't really know exactly what went on, I'm still thinking it over and reinterpreting it. Without ruining anything major, the plot is that this girl kills herself by jumping off a building, and after her death her classmates start to receive emails from her. One girl, Lain, is the only one to reply. The dead classmate says she now lives on in The Wired (its like the internet only you can immerse your mind in it, an alternate reality) and she has found God in the Wired. The series itself basically just deals with the nature of reality and also it has a lot of religious themes. What a lot of people love about it and what a lot of people don't like about it is that it raises all these questions but never directly answers them, a lot is left up to interpretation. It forces you to think if you want to understand it.

Elfen Lied I don't think is nearly as good as Lain, and when I try to rewatch it I get a little overwhelmed at how over the top depressing it is, but its still good. It has a lot of gore and a lot of gratuitous nudity, but I like the themes of innocence and it deals a lot with genocide and discrimination. Basically its about this girl Lucy who is considered the queen of a new race of humans called Diclonius, who have invisible hands called vectors that enable them to kill humans in horrible ways. Lucy escapes a research facility but is shot and falls in the ocean, and when she wakes up she has amnesia, and can't even talk. She's adopted by these two cousins who name her Nyu since thats the only noise she can make. The corporation that owns the research facility hunt her down and try to get her back, and thats basically the series in a nutshell.

Yeah I put it in as Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, but yeah When They Cry was awesome. I still haven't watched the second season though, the first one got me so worked up I don't think I can take it just yet.

POS, I'd recommend Serial Experiments Lain, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and even though it is "omgjapaneze" Paranoia Agent is more of a criticism of otaku culture. My favourite episode is about this animation studio that is making a cutesy anime all the while they hate each other's guts and drive each other insane, don't wanna ruin it but its pretty awesome to see the contrast between the cartoon they are making and themselves.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #362
Crying_Crimson_Tears

When They Cry was too depressing and creepy for me.

But I will try to watch the ones you mentioned, they don't sound half bad.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #363
Naked Lunch

-Animaniacs
-Tiny Toon Adventures
-Mr. Bean (2002 series)
-Trap Door
-Wallace and Grommet

I got my hands on the whole collection of "Mr.Bean" recently.

Does anybody here remember “Bump in the Night"?
Naked Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #364
Wintermute

Ghost in the Shell isn't just my favorite anime. It's my favorite thing on this planet. I would gladly trade or give up orgasms if it meant keeping GitS instead. Were alien life to have a reason judge us, I would only hope they judge us based on that anime, and nothing else. And, I'm not saying that their verdict would be idealistic based on GitS either. I don't care if, after watching it, they decided to exterminate us. The point is that I feel like that anime is the greatest expressive achievement of humanity, and encapsulates everything worth knowing about our collective natures. More so even than mathematics.

On a side note, I really don't get people who 'don't like anime'. In my mind, there are two forms - live-action, and not live-action. I could care less about the origin of either. Hollywood, Japan, wherever. It's all the same now. Japan didn't even invent anime, they just mass produce it. Some of it is really incredible, some of it really sucks. People that just lump all of it together and say, "I hate anime" are pretty dull and ignorant individuals. You might as well just admit that you hate art as well, and anything creative, and most of all yourself for being a complete asshole.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #365
.War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Ghost in the Shell isn't just my favorite anime. It's my favorite thing on this planet. I would gladly trade or give up orgasms if it meant keeping GitS instead.
Yessssss, I full heartedly agree with that statement.

Oh yeah, favourite animes.

Ghost in The Shell, Elfen Lied, Gantz, Ergo Proxy, Speed Grapher, Paranoia Agent, Death Note, Black Lagoon and Hellsing.

Thoses are the ones that come to mind.
.War. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #366
Ω newborn gothika Ω

If what you are lookin for is a mind-boggling nerve-wracking anime..
DEATHNOTE is the one for you..
its my ultimate favorite anime..
DEATHNOTE is a about a murdering notebook wherein you put in ones name and that person will die..
interesting eh???
find out more..
youll never believe how far rules of death, DEATHNOTE and the DEATHGOD will bend or go..
what most appealing of the notebook is..
YOU CAN CONTROL WHAT WILL BE THE CAUSE AND HOW, WHEN, WHERE YOUR TARGET WILL DIE...
Ω newborn gothika Ω is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #367
Ω newborn gothika Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keni View Post
oh wow
im surprised nobody said this first. . .
but my favourite is Deathnote

I am so happy to find someone else who appreciates the darker side of anime here in this forum..
DEATHNOTE is not just any other manga with an ordinary plot and uninteresting scences..
This is my favorite..
It will wrake your minds out..
Intelligent people will love this..
I was taken aback when I read the first page with people ranting about SAKURA, TSUBASA, INU YASHA so on and so forth..
Though I have nuthin against those..
I also appreciate those manga..
=)

Ω newborn gothika Ω is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #368
PixelAvenger

Monster, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Fullmetal Alchemist. I haven't really been paying attention to more recent stuff. Too busy with other things
PixelAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #369
Tam Li Hua

Newborn: This thread is about 5 years old, I believe, and in anime, Deathnote's fairly new to the scene; it's only came around a couple of years ago.

On that note, it's okay, but not my favorite; no way that DN can outdo Serial Experiment Lain for me.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #370
FlowerGirl

um. i dont watch anime. but i've always been interested in this frenzy...
can someone kindly give me some suggestions?

(shows with english subtitles please)
FlowerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #371
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirl View Post
um. i dont watch anime. but i've always been interested in this frenzy...
can someone kindly give me some suggestions?

(shows with english subtitles please)
What kind of genre would you be interested in? Comedy? Horror? Sci Fi?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #372
FlowerGirl

Quote:
What kind of genre would you be interested in? Comedy? Horror? Sci Fi?
Horror please. But generally anything that is addictive will do.
Thank you
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #373
Saya

Ayakashi: Classical Japanese Horror is an okay show, but I'd recommend it if only for the last three episodes. The series was an anthology of Japanese horror stories (two of them are kabuki plays) but the third was just based on folklore, and got its own spin off which is also really good, Mononoke. Art work is gorgeous too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ZCBgsi1S0 This is a fan sub (fans of the show wrote the subtitles), I think, and I'm not sure if this show is licensed, I'm pretty sure its not...anyway, unlicensed shows to my knowledge are fine to watch online, so this technically isn't stealing >.>

When They Cry is pretty scary but like quite a few anime shows it doesn't really let you know whats going on until the end of the first season.

Hellsing isn't bad, its a vampire anime. The OVA was a lot better and more gorey than the anime series, in my opinion, but I still enjoyed both.

Paranoia Agent isn't horror per se but it gets genuinely creepy at times.

Death Note isn't terrible, but I found it got really repetitive and I couldn't bother finishing it. Hell Girl had the same problem, cool idea, but it dragged on way too long. But you never know, you might just like it.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #374
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Ayakashi: Classical Japanese Horror is an okay show, but I'd recommend it if only for the last three episodes. The series was an anthology of Japanese horror stories (two of them are kabuki plays) but the third was just based on folklore, and got its own spin off which is also really good, Mononoke. Art work is gorgeous too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ZCBgsi1S0 This is a fan sub (fans of the show wrote the subtitles), I think, and I'm not sure if this show is licensed, I'm pretty sure its not...anyway, unlicensed shows to my knowledge are fine to watch online, so this technically isn't stealing >.>

When They Cry is pretty scary but like quite a few anime shows it doesn't really let you know whats going on until the end of the first season.

Hellsing isn't bad, its a vampire anime. The OVA was a lot better and more gorey than the anime series, in my opinion, but I still enjoyed both.

Death Note isn't terrible, but I found it got really repetitive and I couldn't bother finishing it. Hell Girl had the same problem, cool idea, but it dragged on way too long. But you never know, you might just like it.
THANK YOU SAYA ^.^
I've searched all the shows you recommended.
I'm watching the first episode of Hellsing now.
Later I'm going to start Death Note~~!

I've never met a single Asian in my entire life.
Now I've decided that I really, really like Asians.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #375
Mariner

Quote:

Deathnote is crap as soon as L dies, I just stopped reading when he died.
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote