Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #51
Saya

Come to think of it, a good vampire movie is pretty damn rare, no matter what the ethnicity of the vampire. And usually now the vampire is just some poor misunderstood monster who is quite sexy with orgasmic bites.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #52
StrangeLove

Quote:
And usually now the vampire is just some poor misunderstood monster who is quite sexy with orgasmic bites.
Or angsty teenagers who ~sparkle.~

Christ almighty, the whole Twilight thing makes me want to approve book burning.
StrangeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #53
Man In Room 5

@ Saya: I was thinking about that whole zombie racial issue again last night at work and remembered the movie Shock Waves. Ever see that one? I would like to say it's an obscure movie but I'm sure lots of people here are familiar with it since this is Gnet after all. It's about reanimated Nazi soldiers, so the zombies are all blonde haired and blue eyed. It's a pretty good movie considering that it only had 1 real actor and a budget of about $8.00. But they had to totally ignore the whole voodoo thing and explain the zombies with the Nazi occultism thing instead. It opened with a fake documentary style story about how the Nazis attempted to reanimate dead soldiers. I wonder if there was any truth in that or if this was the movie that started the entire theory. I remember the game Wolfenstein3D also had Nazi zombies and at the time I assumed they had stolen the idea from Shock Waves.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #54
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
You can go ahead and say I'm being racist but black people just don't make good vampires. I don't know why, can't put my finger on it. It simply does not work.
The answer is simple; you have an extremely narrow, Eurocentric view of the myth of vampires. I imagine that, like most Americans, your first exposure to this myth was with a Bram Stoker- or Bela Lugosi-derived vampire and since that time, this has been the only view you have held regarding how this kind of mythological creature is represented.

Never mind that the idea of vampires has appeared in numerous cultures around the world for thousands of years. Never mind that there are modern representations of vampires that put your examples to shame. White Wolf Games, for example, incorporated African American vampires into their vampire mythology quite well, if you care to have a look.

Continue your willful ignorance if you must, but please, don't bore the rest of us with it. Just because you choose not to see, doesn't mean that Black vampires in popular culture that are worthy of respect do not exist.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #55
Noumi

Omg!
The first one is just horrible...

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #56
Tralis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The answer is simple; you have an extremely narrow, Eurocentric view of the myth of vampires. I imagine that, like most Americans, your first exposure to this myth was with a Bram Stoker- or Bela Lugosi-derived vampire and since that time, this has been the only view you have held regarding how this kind of mythological creature is represented.

Never mind that the idea of vampires has appeared in numerous cultures around the world for thousands of years. Never mind that there are modern representations of vampires that put your examples to shame. White Wolf Games, for example, incorporated African American vampires into their vampire mythology quite well, if you care to have a look.

Continue your willful ignorance if you must, but please, don't bore the rest of us with it. Just because you choose not to see, doesn't mean that Black vampires in popular culture that are worthy of respect do not exist.

- Heretic
Why African-American? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to just be African, especially if we are talking about myths? Perhaps the book was set in American and had slave myths, I don't know the work you refer to, but it seems strange to have African-American vampires outside of just vampires that can be of any race.

Also, Akasha and Enkil are Egyptian as I recall. So then, the two first vampires are from Africa anyway, at least if we are to take Rice's mythology.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #57
sigmarkarl

It has been established in vampire myth that people prone to the genetic defect causing sickle-cell anaemia (or drepanocytosis) are unable to become vampires. As stated in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle-cell_disease is most often found in people of african origin. Black vampires are very rare at best.
sigmarkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #58
Despanan

"Hey guy, good news! Your crippling genetic disorder makes you less likely to contract a made-up disease, that results in you becoming an imaginary monster!"

"..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #59
sigmarkarl

black

Evidntly the sickle-cell anaemia also protects you from malaria
sigmarkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #60
Despanan

Clearly, black people need their own entry in The Monster Manual. They're 15% resistant to vampirism, immune to sick-as-hell anemia, and can step through any shadow to travel the roads of the Nightrealms.

They could even be a Player Character, so long as you can come up with a valid roleplaying reason for them to be over their prediliction towards ****** white women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #61
DRM

Wow, they can do all that!?
And to think, all these twelve years I've just seen my stepdad as a normal everyday person....geez was I wrong.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #62
MollyMac

No way dude. Black people have, like, powers, and stuff. Kinda like nuns. WTF?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #63
Equivalence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
so long as you can come up with a valid roleplaying reason for them to be over their prediliction towards ****** white women.
+10 Mana boost per cubic inch of booty size.
Equivalence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #64
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmarkarl View Post
It has been established in vampire myth that people prone to the genetic defect causing sickle-cell anaemia (or drepanocytosis) are unable to become vampires. As stated in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle-cell_disease is most often found in people of african origin. Black vampires are very rare at best.
Thread necromancer! *makes a hissing noise*
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #65
carakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
Thread necromancer! *makes a hissing noise*
ROFL
I think what made it so funny was that one of my cats coincidentally hissed right when I read about your hiss
Old 12-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #66
Anarasha

Haha, awesome :P
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #67
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivalence View Post
+10 Mana boost per cubic inch of booty size.
We also get a +5 damage bonus with pistols.

I thank the raisin we don't be makin' good vampires is that vampire don't get no sun and they skin is ashy.
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #68
Equivalence

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakitaJackson View Post
We also get a +5 damage bonus with pistols.
Yeah, but your acc is piss poor, making pistols a dump stat at best. Who cares about high DSP when you spend most of the time watching yourself in the pistol smoke? Now, one-handed brawling with broken 40s? That's something to fear.
Equivalence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #69
Susyq4u

Larant from the Twilight Saga was a decent black vampire.
Susyq4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #70
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susyq4u View Post
Larant from the Twilight Saga was a decent black vampire.
I hate you.

I'd rather there be no vampires than that loser being our undead representative.
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #71
Catch

I enjoyed watching Weasely Snipes as Blade. He's different, but I'm actually growing tired of the continual portrayal of vampires based off of Bella. That was in black-and-white and might as well have been two centuries ago. Played out.

I want more diversity. Maybe vampire Frat or B-Boys going all blood thirsty in something. Forget the black jackets and throw on a bomber jacket.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #72
Catch

I got it! Tokio Drift Vampires!!! Then everyone can get together and do some methodical hip-hop number after racing cars really fast.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #73
Daywalker

it not that black ppl make bad vamps its just blade. What about the black vamp in twilight he was bad ass.
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #74
DRM

Someone already mentioned him.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #75
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
it not that black ppl make bad vamps its just blade. What about the black vamp in twilight he was bad ass.
Another thread necromancer!!! *makes more violent hissing noises*