Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
chelseagirl

"goth" couple now allowed to ride bus in UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...#StartComments

Goth who walks fiancee on a leash is banned by bus driver who told him: 'No dogs allowed'
Last updated at 15:24pm on 22nd January 2008

Comments (50)

A goth, who likes to take his fiancee out for a stroll on a leash, claims that a bus driver told them "no dogs allowed" and banned them from boarding.

Dani Graves, 25, and his girlfriend dress all in black and like to take unusual walks, but the pair have been branded "freaks" and pushed off buses. He and Tasha Maltby, 19, were told they could not travel on the bus service and believe they have been targeted by the same driver three times. Gothic Dani claims the driver said: "We don't let freaks and dogs like you on."

Dani Graves and girlfriend Tasha Maltby claim they were branded 'freaks' by an off-duty driver and pushed off a bus in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. He said the incident, which was alleged to have happened in early December, took place when he and Tasha went to Dewsbury bus station in West Yorkshire.

An off-duty bus driver, who was also on the service, was still in uniform and allegedly pushed Dani off the bus and refused service to the couple.

He said: "He shoved me off the bus. He called us freaks and he called Tasha a dog. He said, 'we don't let freaks and dogs like you on'. "He basically grabbed my T-shirt and slammed me backwards. I got a bit angry and called him a fascist pig."

Dani, from Dewsbury, reported him to the manager at the bus depot, who said his complaint would be dealt with but added that despite his complaints, the same driver shook his head at the couple as they approached his bus a few weeks later. He said that after showing their bus passes and sitting down, the driver refused to let any other passengers on until they got off. They refused to get off the bus but were eventually forced off after being threatened with police action.

A third incident occurred last week, when Dani was waiting for a bus, this time alone. He said he held out his arm to flag it down, but the same driver smiled and drove past.

Dani relies on the bus service as he does not drive and suffers from a circulation problem that means he cannot walk long distances in cold weather.

He said he always got on with other bus drivers and although he took his fiancee round on a lead, they always took it off before getting on a bus as it could be dangerous. Dani said he believed this driver's treatment of them was purely down to the way they dress. He said: "He doesn't like the fact we wear black clothing. We expect the odd comment, but we don't expect it off a bus driver. "I have been a goth most of my life and it's the first time I've come across anything like this. It's crazy."

Paul Adcock, operations director for Arriva Yorkshire, said: "We take any allegations of discrimination very seriously and we will be investigating all of Mr Graves' claims. "Mr Graves has already contacted us directly and, as soon as our investigation has concluded, we will inform him of the outcome."
Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
weepingblood

Oh my goodness that is so bad!!!!! I have been shoved in halls and stuff for being a gothic, one time I fell right over and dropped all my books. It upset me so much I had to go to the bathroom and cut. When will people learn that being a gothic does'nt make you a freak or any of those horrible things they call us, a lot less people would commit suicide and have mental health problems if people were more accepting!!!!!
weepingblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepingblood
Oh my goodness that is so bad!!!!! I have been shoved in halls and stuff for being a gothic, one time I fell right over and dropped all my books. It upset me so much I had to go to the bathroom and cut. When will people learn that being a gothic does'nt make you a freak or any of those horrible things they call us, a lot less people would commit suicide and have mental health problems if people were more accepting!!!!!
You HAD to cut yourself, because you dropped some books?

I sympathise with some pathological cutters, but sometimes it's ridiculous.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
chelseagirl

Darn it! I mean't for the topic line to say "goth couple NOT allowed to ride bus in UK". Damn my typo!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
emeraldlonewoulf

either you are a troll, and not a very good one at that, or you are in serious need of a straightening out about this whole subculture.

clue : neither you, nor anyone else, is "a gothic"!!

and don't you dare blame your cutting on anyone else but you.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
dickpickle

Perhsp it is how weepingblood addresses the pain. ANd lives up to her name. yes lives up to her name! I would have confronted them and helped you gather your books were I handy. I am big and scary. Wish you wouoldn't cut though.
dickpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
Delkaetre

Anyway, to address the article in question
Yes, UK bus drivers have a 33% rate of bastardiciousness. You learn to live with it after a while, especially if you use buses in London.
Yes, the bus driver was entirely out of order for refusing them service based on their attire and/or subculture and/or sexual preference.
However! I'd not take this word for word, the it's the Daily Mail, and thus of about the same journalistic calibre as other popular tabloid cat-litter-tray-liners such as The Sun.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
badteccy

As stupid as the leash thing is....
That bus driver is even stupider.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
chelseagirl

lol, I agree the leash thing is silly, imo (at least for doing it in public...hmmm...maybe save it for the bedroom?), but still, it's not like they are hurting anyone or being disruptive.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Tha Duckman

Oh no, people act strange and others don't understand them! SHOCK!!! Now I understand the funny looks I get when I'm dressed in my lobster suit.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
CptSternn

A people wonder why we hate the brits.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
KontanKarite

That's rather lame...

I don't understand why people have to let their prejudice thoughts influence their actions. So what if they're goths? Hate all you want, but damn, people should keep their actions to themselves.

How the guy still has a job after the first incident is beyond me.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
Haex

My sister lives in Dewsbury. I've been to the station mentioned once or twice, but we usually take the train or walk anywhere we need. Even if it is completely accurate, the article doesn't surprise me too much from what I've seen of the downtown area. Reminds me of Innsmouth. Except replace fishy people with decrepit elderly and Islamic fundamentalists.
Haex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Tam Li Hua

Question

About the OP: Since others here don't seem to think it's from a reliable source, I have to wonder. But, on the supposition that it is true...damn, that guy seriously needs to be fired or something.

Quote:
You aren't more Goth if you cut, or if people pick on you. When I was a teen, I wasn't Goth, but I -did- drop my books a lot and get picked on a fair bit. [I wasn't actually anything except quiet and unfashionable, to be honest.]

High school is high school, and even if you weren't Goth, chances are someone would find something to pick on you about. *shrug*
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
weepingblood

I did'nt say I was "more goth" because I cut.. in fact I cut because I am goth..
Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
weepingblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
You HAD to cut yourself, because you dropped some books?

I sympathise with some pathological cutters, but sometimes it's ridiculous.
No Mr snappy, I did'nt cut because I dropped my books, it was because people MADE me drop my books by pushing me and were so mean I had what I call an episode. This is when it all gets too much for me and cutting helps me deal with it. I did'nt drop my books then cut, that would be lame. But people had been picking on me all day and it was just the last straw.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
badteccy

Cutting yourself because people picked on you is JUST as lame.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
weepingblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickpickle
Perhsp it is how weepingblood addresses the pain. ANd lives up to her name. yes lives up to her name! I would have confronted them and helped you gather your books were I handy. I am big and scary. Wish you wouoldn't cut though.
Thanks you for trying to be understanding dickpickle (hee hee cute name). You are right about it being how I address the pain. I am trying to stop cutting but it's hard when the world is so horrible and everyone wants to bring you down all the time, I know this happens to everyone but in my experience it happens more to gothics because we are different and people always pick on those who are different.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
Lapin

I smell a troll. (Shakes head) Things were just getting too quiet around here I guess.

As for the article, if it's true, the bus driver was an ass. When he's at work, he has to keep his prejudices to himself.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #20
weepingblood

I'm not a troll, I'm just a sensitive person who is sick of being attacked. *shakes head* Maybe this is'nt the place for me.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #21
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Thanks you for trying to be understanding dickpickle (hee hee cute name). You are right about it being how I address the pain. I am trying to stop cutting but it's hard when the world is so horrible and everyone wants to bring you down all the time, I know this happens to everyone but in my experience it happens more to gothics because we are different and people always pick on those who are different.
You -are- aware that cutting has nothing to do with Goth subculture, correct? If you find it necessary to cut, then I recommend a therapist ASAP. It is NOT a healthy way to express emotion.

Yes, the world sucks. But people find other ways to deal with it other than cutting: Writing, drawing, creating art, or even trying to change the world for the better.

Yes, people pick on each other because they are different, but that's also no reason to do such a thing to yourself. Honestly, I hope you're lying about the cutting thing. I really really do.

And please...stop calling us 'gothics'. It's Goths. Just...Goths. "Gothic" is an adjective, not a noun.

Ok, I'm stopping there before I get in a real tizzy. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM or email me.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #22
weepingblood

Thank you, that is nice of you but I think you are misunderstanding me.. I was half joking about the cutting because I am gothic thing, I just thought it was kind of funny because it sounded sort of poetic.. but I guess it was a bad joke. I know that cutting is'nt healthy and I am trying to stop, I do write poetry but sometimes it is'nt enough. But I am trying, I don't want to be scarred for life. Well physicly at least, I guess it's too late to stop it emotionally. But hey ho, I suppose it's the same for everyone else.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
chelseagirl

Quote:
I did'nt say I was "more goth" because I cut.. in fact I cut because I am goth..
So...being a "goth" makes you cut? That's news to me. I thought a mental disorder makes people cut...not the gothic subculture. I've never self-harmed myself, and out of all of the people in the goth scene that I've known in the past 17 years, I've only known 1 person who did. It's a stereotype that all goths cut. If you truly have a self-harm disorder, I do hope that you get the help you need to overcome it...however, it really is annoying that so many people think that being "goth" means self-harming yourself.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #24
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Thank you, that is nice of you but I think you are misunderstanding me.. I was half joking about the cutting because I am gothic thing, I just thought it was kind of funny because it sounded sort of poetic.. but I guess it was a bad joke. I know that cutting is'nt healthy and I am trying to stop, I do write poetry but sometimes it is'nt enough. But I am trying, I don't want to be scarred for life. Well physicly at least, I guess it's too late to stop it emotionally. But hey ho, I suppose it's the same for everyone else.
No, it's not.

Admittedly, I've never attempted cutting, so I don't fully understand what you're going through, but I have been through my share of hell on earth. I have also been to therapy to sort through the hell and find better ways of coping.

I guess if you're a teen it's a bit harder to find a psychologist, but I think if you talked to your school counselor or someone, they may be able to help you stop.

But...that's only if you truly want to. If you don't really -want- to stop, then counseling and therapy aren't going to do any good.

The choice is yours, my lovely young dark Padawan..
Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #25
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
So...being a "goth" makes you cut? That's news to me. I thought a mental disorder makes people cut...not the gothic subculture. I've never self-harmed myself, and out of all of the people in the goth scene that I've known in the past 17 years, I've only known 1 person who did. It's a stereotype that all goths cut. If you truly have a self-harm disorder, I do hope that you get the help you need to overcome it...however, it really is annoying that so many people think that being "goth" means self-harming yourself.
Heh heh. Perhaps this is Fate/Karma's revenge on us for all those emo threads. ^^;;;