Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
sophiaJade

Arrow Sorean Magazine

Ok, I just posted a blog about this (I'm new to Gothic.net) but I could really use some help with my magazine...

I started it as a free-pdf-for-now magazine, and I hope to go to print in a year or so, at which point I'll charge for issues to offset the cost of printing, etc... You might've heard about my magazine already, if you get the Eidolon Career Solutions newsletter...

Anyway, our first issue launched in December, and Issue #2 is due out Feb 13, 2010... Because of this, I'm at the "assigning articles to journalists" phase and I realized that I have NO content to assign (I have 2 article topics, but that's it so far) SO I was wondering if anyone had any ideas...

Also, we need "advice column questions" to answer (our advice column people are twiddling their thumbs) and subscriber-art submissions...

Due to the need for all that legal-babble, I'll summarize it... Sending us something gives us permission to use it, but we don't have to if we don't feel like it, blah blah blah, and nobody gets paid because we don't make any money on the magazine yet... (Most of the people participating are doing it for their resume/portfolio/exposure and the rest are doing it out of boredom)

SO, our website is http://sorean.dauntlessgoddess.com and we have a couple of contact forms on it... I try to check them often, but we spent 5 hours the other day just responding to emails... So it might take me a bit of time to get back to you...

Also, just because we don't use your work doesn't mean we didn't like it... And I am fearing even MENTIONING our fiction-bites section due to the overwhelming popullarity it's had so far already...

Ok, so I think I've covered everything... If you have any ideas for article topics, now is the time to pitch them.
sophiaJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Man In Room 5

No offense but I seriously wouldn't have launched a zine or even a webzine without at least 3 or 4 months of content planned out ahead of time. Most zines have a lag time of that long just to get your work published once it's accepted because they're booked that far in advance. A well planned zine would have the 1st 3 or 4 issues nearly done when issue one hits the stands to ensure a strong entry into the reading public. A strong lead like that would make more people want to write for you when the time comes......but seeing you're only at issue 2 and already out of ideas isn't very encouraging.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
sophiaJade

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
No offense but I seriously wouldn't have launched a zine or even a webzine without at least 3 or 4 months of content planned out ahead of time. Most zines have a lag time of that long just to get your work published once it's accepted because they're booked that far in advance. A well planned zine would have the 1st 3 or 4 issues nearly done when issue one hits the stands to ensure a strong entry into the reading public. A strong lead like that would make more people want to write for you when the time comes......but seeing you're only at issue 2 and already out of ideas isn't very encouraging.
I'm the fall-guy, apparently... I made a list of ideas, but my "co-founders" decided that most of my ideas all sucked (at the last minute) so yeah, I'm out looking for inspiration... And the ask-us advice column and subscriber art parts kind of REQUIRE reader-interaction...
sophiaJade is offline   Reply With Quote