Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
StarredLeaf

Exotic Pets

Anyone have any exotic pets? I was thinking about getting a hedgehog in about another year, they're too cute. I've always been a cat person myself though but hopefully my cat can have a companion.
StarredLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Saya

I hope we don't mean black market animals but animals that vets label as exotic? I used to have rats (yeah, pretty exotic XD), I have a mouse currently, and may soon adopt a bunny from the rescue shelter (depends on how my next pay check goes, I want to get as big of a cage as possible).

I would also very very much love to one day adopt a chinchilla, but whenever one goes to the shelter someone calls in right away to adopt them. Birds I also love (used to have a budgie) but most of them are loud, and I live in an apartment building.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Duane

Man... every time I see a thread like this, I want a Siberian Tiger.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Saya

Why the fuck would you want a tiger?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
StarredLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
Man... every time I see a thread like this, I want a Siberian Tiger.
Weirdly enough I wanted to be a tiger trainer when I was younger. lol i really don't know why
Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Duane

Well... I remember wanting one since I saw Meteor Man as a kid. Another thing, Tigers are so awesome! Wouldn't be possible for me to have one as a pet, though.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
StarredLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I would also very very much love to one day adopt a chinchilla, but whenever one goes to the shelter someone calls in right away to adopt them.
Oh lawd chinchillas are adorable! I wouldn't be surprised that people are snatching them up so quickly, I wish that was the case for hedgehogs but noo I have get them from a breeder.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
Well... I remember wanting one since I saw Meteor Man as a kid. Another thing, Tigers are so awesome! Wouldn't be possible for me to have one as a pet, though.
Definately not. Some asshole here bought a tiger cub and was mystified when it grew up and tore the house apart. Salmonier Nature Park (its not a zoo, not quite a sanctuary, more like a wildlife care and rehab out in the middle of the woods) took it for the winter and then I think it went to the Toronto Zoo afterwards.

Starred, have you tried petfinder? I'm sure there's no hedgehog population crisis, but its always better to adopt rather than buy from breeders ^_^

Yeah, chinchillas are cute, a lot of people here, erm, happen to find them in the vicinity of a fur farm and take them home >.>
Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Duane

Fine... I'll go with a bobcat.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
Saya

Get out of my head, Charles! Me and Lethean have been talking about lynx and bobcats over msn for about five minutes now.

Still a bad idea. How about Alex? Isn't Alex the most adorable kitten in the world? Really, I'm debating whether to beg Kim to let me take in a kitty and a rabbit XD

http://www.spcastjohns.org/index.php...nid=92&page=92
Old 05-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
Duane

Seriously, I have a Sun Conure named Toby.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Mir

I want to get and raise some furry types for a def rawk style coat.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #13
Duane

I want a wolverine.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:00 AM   #14
honeythorn

It's unfair you get to keep hedgehogs as pets in the US. Not allowed here though you can adopt them from shelters if you have a secure garden and provide a habitat for them . You can't keep them in the house like pets hough, or you aren't supposed to.

I used to have a pale cream chinchilla years ago, she was beautiful, used to run up and down the stairs and boing off the walls !

I have a Cockatiel and a budgie, At some point if I ever manage to move out I'd love some finches and diamond doves ( mini grey doves about the size of a big canary )

I have now adopted one of my brother's guinea pigs as he hasn't the time to care for all 3 with his leg the way it is. This one had to be kept down in the basement , my brother still can't do stairs very well yet, and with the baby to care for his girlfriend was getting tired of running up and down the stairs. So I've taken him on, they come here every week so my brother still see's him.
He's fat, ginger and scruffy, and apparantly called hooch ( my brother has shit taste in animal names ) very cute. He squeaks in the morning for his breakfast ^_^

I have a mini rex rabbit too. If you can't get a chinchilla then rex bunnies are the next best thing if it's the feel of the fur you like. They were originally used as a fur animal, as a cheaper alternative to mink . This probably still goes on in some places. It wouldn't surprise me.

And then... there's the fish. All 29 of them. I don't think I need to go into too much detail as I bore people enough with them anyway. But they are all tropical fish, I haven't the space for goldfish much as I like them.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #15
Rock_On

The most exotic (if you could call it that) pet I've had was a paradise fish. You can teach them to jump out of the water and take food from your fingers, jump through hoops etc
Rock_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #16
honeythorn

Some guy taught a goldfish to play football. Put little goalie nets in a tank and dropped food in front of the ball to make the fish nudge it into the goal. He'll do it without the food offer now. Proves they have more than a few seconds memory.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #17
korinna5555

I had an African pygmy hedgehog, and he was my FAVORITE small-animal-type pet.
There's a breeder near Baltimore, MD.. thet's where my hedgie came from. Maybe if you come back down to DC, we could meet up and I'll take you to meet her?
I want to get another hedgie here pretty soon.. I miss my Danny D:
Old 05-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
SiouxsiePernova

I do not own any pets, but I did want to keep arachnids once upon a time.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #19
Unimatrix 00

I had a snake but he died of old age =[.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #20
StarredLeaf

How long can snakes live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
I had an African pygmy hedgehog, and he was my FAVORITE small-animal-type pet.
There's a breeder near Baltimore, MD.. thet's where my hedgie came from. Maybe if you come back down to DC, we could meet up and I'll take you to meet her?
I want to get another hedgie here pretty soon.. I miss my Danny D:
Aww how was it taking care of a hedgehog? And I know there's a breeder in Joppa, MD but I don't think that's who you're talking about.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #21
Duane

I don't know if they were tropical, Honey Thorn would, though. I had a pet Oscar fish, I named it Abu.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #22
Mr E Nigma

I want a penguin or a skunk.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #23
Duane

Oh... a force of vicious attack skunks would be better.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #24
Solumina

My cousin fostered a skunk for a bit, he was the sweetest thing.

I really want a Savannah but they aren't exactly easy to find at a shelter and I don't think I could get one from a breeder knowing how many animals are waiting to be adopted from a shelter.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
My cousin fostered a skunk for a bit, he was the sweetest thing.

I really want a Savannah but they aren't exactly easy to find at a shelter and I don't think I could get one from a breeder knowing how many animals are waiting to be adopted from a shelter.
I know what you mean. I'm very partial to many types of animals but its just not fair to get a breeder to make its cat have more babies when there's millions that need homes. The other day on the bus too there were these two girls talking about buying Persians, they got a breeder to have a litter but then didn't buy any of them because they didn't like the colour of the kittens. I'm really not a vocal person in real life, honestly, so I didn't say anything, but that just made me rotted for the rest of the day.

The bunny I wanted at the shelter is already claimed, curses! They have mostly dwarf rabbits, they're adorable but I want a bigger rabbit where we have a cat, she's far less likely to think of the rabbit as prey if its bigger than her.