Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Minyaliel

New goth music

Right. I've heard there are lots of new goth acts around, but I can't seem to find them. Except for the new stars of my own local scene, that is (this link leads to their demo). I want to get to know more new goth bands. Please share. I'm looking for anything that is not EBM, as that does not really tickle my fancy (my local club night plays like 85% EBM and Industrial, I'm getting enough of that stuff already :P ). I rather prefer the more punkier acts, or post punk/ new wave/ tradgoth kind of stuff. So, please, spam me with links?
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Elystan

You were lied to. New goth music is an oxymoron. Sorry.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Zetmech

You should check out Farblos, a German newer Goth-act. Sounds really old-school, dark and mystical. My favorite track: Winterherz. (You can download his demo on the website btw) I believe he started this project just a couple of years back. Another act, although Post-punk, from Sweden called Agent Side Grinder, though the band has a couple years on their back, they are really great as well. Favorite track: Die to Live. And Elys, I think I just proved your opinion wrong.
Zetmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Class-Punk

Thumbs up

Check out my playlist Dark Indie I which is full of dark 80's sounds.

And if anyone here is reading and is drunk, I recommend loading *this* in fullscreen HD and watching it repeatedly.

Thank you for reading.
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmech View Post
And Elys, I think I just proved your opinion wrong.
Sounds to me like you proved me right, but whatevs.

Edit: this first one isn't actually that offensive, well done.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
marrissey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elystan View Post
You were lied to. New goth music is an oxymoron. Sorry.
Yes yes yes. Though if you like what you like, that's just fine. I just, I have to totally agree with this. Sorry, I'm a music asshole.
marrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Jon Wane

"New Goth Music", to me, is pretty much non-existent.
"Goth [music] culture" in today's world might as well be Steampunk, it's just that lame.

Today's "Gothic Music" seems to be nothing more than an exercise in embarrassing self-parody/rehashing of ancient ideas.

I think the "EBM explosion" and the association it had with the Gothic subculture really killed any kind of legitimacy it once had as a "fun" and relatively innocuous and happily empty, socially and culturally-irrelevant subculture.

It's just like when Punks became fashionable and began being parodied in the media and excessively watered down for mass marketing. The same thing happened with Goth around the late 80's/mid-90's. The irreverence of it lost any meaning once it just became another goofy, aimless youth culture to exploit in sitcoms trying to appeal to a diverse audience.

It turned into a joke that couldn't be taken seriously, even as just a simply fun, campy aesthetic. Granted, "Goth" was always hated by some subcultures, seems like (English Crust/Grindcore/HC fans seemed to mention "Goths" in a negative light a lot in the 80's, for instance).

In short, I haven't heard a single modern Goth act I could recommend. Everything's stagnant, and either way too self-aware or way too serious and utterly unaware of its own corniness.
Jon Wane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Jon Wane

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrissey View Post
Sorry, I'm a music asshole.
Well, based on your name/avatar, that is kind of a given.
FWIW, The Smiths/Morrissey are my favorite thing, like, ever.
Jon Wane is offline   Reply With Quote