Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #101
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC

Wasn't it you that told me to stop talking in hypotheses? Now you're dredging up a bunch of postulations to attempt to justify your tirade, maybe this is a similar situation, but there's no reason to believe that it is.
Did you notice that I never told him to stop whining or tell him he's being a baby?
Did you notice that all I said was that it's not a reason to hate your parents?

Just checking.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #102
KontanKarite

Man... you guys are assholes...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #103
Godslayer Jillian

Let's go back to the sentence that started the argument I'm in:
"Evolution's concept of survival of the fittest is essentially selfish."
That proves that it wasn't just about semantics.
The whole "inherently selfish" thing is something assumed by the phrase 'survival of the fittest'
So saying WHY "survival of the fittest" is not a valid way to sum up evolution negates the whole idea that evolution is 'essentially selfish', as it is not.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #104
knightmare

Man..I can't believe Rorschach would say something like that. He would just kill us.

Anyways, I thought we were finished since you last replied like 1.5 hours ago.

Natural Selection involves competition, directly and indirectly, as there are finite resources and space. Every creature is technically selfish as they are concerned for their survival and transmission of their genes through reproduction. The fitter animals are able to outcompete the weaker ones for food and are able to find suitable mates. Survival of the fittest is just another way of saying that.
knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #105
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare
Evolution's concept of survival of the fittest is essentially selfish. Tell me when you see a species of animals sharing their food and shelter with another species. Also, the abundance of inter-species conflict shows the innate selfishness of creatures.
True altruism is incompatible with biological evolution. How do you think the transmission of genetics and genetics selection works? The one who has better genetics to hoard all the resources he can survives, and is able to transmit his genes. Modern humans can afford to be altruistic.
You really don't know the difference between putting survival as a priority and being selfish, do you?

Listen you nit wit, off the bat, you're an animal from an animal species. Just because you have a thumb and the ability to walk up right does not make you above other animals. If you have EVER fed your dog table scraps you've proven your statement wrong.

Another thing, animals of the same species will happily share between their species. You see this a lot with apes and pack animals. The strongest will usually bring the kill and, even thought he gets first share, they all will get something.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #106
Albert Mond

Survival of self comes before all else. Were there not enough food to feed the whole pack, I'm not entirely confident that they'd refrain from eating eachother eventually. I think that selfishness, as it's usually seen, is an extension of survival instinct.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #107
Albert Mond

Smile

Oh. Waited a bit too long to edit, so I'd also like to add that
Quote:
Another thing, animals of the same species will happily share between their species. You see this a lot with apes and pack animals. The strongest will usually bring the kill and, even thought he gets first share, they all will get something.
seems a bit silly. Packs share food with themselves? Oh really, now? And apes, too, you say? We'll have to call Inspector Gadget to investigate this new found information!
Do da do da do, Inspector Gadget, do da do da do da dooooo
Mond: Herro, Inspector Gadget. Joker in the Pack says that pack animals and apes share food. Is this true?
Gadget: Let's see. Go Gadget plot device!
Minutes pass
Gadget: My findings show that these statements are true! However, Joker seems to be missing the fact that animals such as wolves will kill members of rival packs!
Mond: Gee, Mr. Gadget, that doesn't sound very nice!
Do da do da do, Inspector Gadget, do da do da do da dooo...
Go, Gadget Go!
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #108
knightmare

Actually Joker, I think you are confusing the motives behind a superior ape's willing to share. They don't share due to their goodness of their hearts. In many species, the act of sharing is an act of showing their superiority. In fact, after a leader comes with the food, others in the ape pack will start acting obsequious and practically beg for food. It reinforces the pack's leader superiority. This is also quite common in human societies in which leaders display their wealth through the amount they are willing to share. It says I have more than enough. You should find this idea in many anthropological journals.
knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:57 AM   #109
Alarica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Entirely predictable ad hominems. Fuck, I am shitting bricks now, I didn't take you seriously at first.
Oh honestly. Stop dragging your lip.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #110
Serephurus

You gonna be a Southerner now, boy. You Yanks arnt welcome down thar.
Serephurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #111
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Newly arrived male lions will kill lion cubs sired by a pride's missing or deceased patriarch. That doesn't help all lions survive, but it helps the fittest to survive.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #112
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Newly arrived male lions will kill lion cubs sired by a pride's missing or deceased patriarch. That doesn't help all lions survive, but it helps the fittest to survive.
Damn five minute limit.

My point was the lion cubs were fit, but didn't survive because the surviving newly arrived male lion is more fit.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #113
Opteron_Man

Hey, I know what it is like to move around as a kid.
My dad would lose a job and we would need to pick up and move to a different city. I have been to like four grade schools and a half dozen highschools.
Each time I would have to rebuild. That is, make new friends and become acostomed to the place. I wasn't good at making friends so I only had one or two "friends" at one time if at all. So it was heartbreaking when we would move around just when I got comfy.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote