Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #51
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
You are assuming that she was of average weight before she started down this path, which is daft. IF that were true then I might agree with you, but it's safe to say she was already morbidly obese before she started her new career.
Be that as it may, what does it have to do with my post?...

Not to mention that I don't see what difference it makes. So if you're fat, you really might as well get even fatter provided you're making money off of it? Fine... whatever. But having your children care for you while you slowly kill yourself before their eyes? Dick move.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #52
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
Be that as it may, what does it have to do with my post?...

Not to mention that I don't see what difference it makes. So if you're fat, you really might as well get even fatter provided you're making money off of it? Fine... whatever. But having your children care for you while you slowly kill yourself before their eyes? Dick move.
If you are morbidly obese you can't get more morbidly obese. The health problems she is facing are already there. She is already home bound and can't walk, putting on a few more pounds and bringing in 90k instead of living on disability seems like a pretty good deal.

Since you keep going on about the children, do you think they are better off living with a morbidly obese woman who lives on disability checks from the government (a few hundred dollars a month) or living with a morbidly obese woman who brings in a few thousand a week?

In which scenario do they end up better off in todays society? I don't see them getting too many trips to Disneyworld, the cinema, or even being able to pay for college if they are just the kids of a regular morbidly obese woman who they still would have to care for anyway.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #53
Judas

Quote:
Again, as I posted, you are assuming she was of average build and in good healthy BEFORE she started this project of hers and has decided to wreck her health. She was morbidly obese from age 9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donna_S...personality%29
From the very link you provided:

"By the time she was 18, she had slimmed down to 154 pounds (70 kg). Ultimately, she decided she did not want to be thin."

Quote:
But your assertion that having her children help out around the house is somehow equal to that of miners having their children dig for coal and that is just ludicrous.
So, in the mind of Sternn, "bring food" = "dig for coal."

Quote:
As I posted above, seven MILLION Americans are so large they require assistance of some sort. A large chunk of them have children. Are you suggesting they be stripped of their children? If her 'occupation' is so 'hazardous' then why have they not been stripped of their children or charged with endangerment of some sort? Do you really think they should be?

What you are suggesting is very fat people should be arrested if they have kids and their children taken from them and put into foster care. Seriously?
Where do you get these ridiculous ideas? Seriously, how do you get all that blithering nonsense out of what was said?
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #54
Alan

Quote:
Again, as I posted, you are assuming she was of average build and in good healthy BEFORE she started this project of hers and has decided to wreck her health. She was morbidly obese from age 9.
And at age 18 she was only 154 pounds. That's thinner than half the people here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like a girl with curves.
Fat people don't have curves. They have one. One curve that goes all the way around.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #55
CptSternn

If anyone seriously thinks what she is doing is child abuse, next time you see a large woman on a scooter in wal-mart with children following behind go ahead and call 911 and report her for child abuse.

Let us know how it goes sure.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #56
Still Jack

The whole curvy women thing brings me to another point. When people that I find unattractive call me narrow minded and basically go " nyeeahh I'm beautiful so fuck you".
You CANNOT fucking say that about yourself. You can find yourself beautiful, fine by me. But you cannot go about spouting shit about beauty as if it is fact. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if I think someone looks nice, I'll tell them but if someone tells me one more time that they themselves ARE beautiful, I'll stab them in the face with a soldering iron.
/ rant
Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #57
Solumina

Gah I totally get where you are coming from. Every time a morbidly obese woman tells me anything along the line of "real men like a woman with curves" it makes me want to hurl. The kind of curves that most men like are tits and asses, not fupas.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #58
AshleyO

Yeah in general, I guess you could say that most men, when it comes to curves, likes a FLAT tummy, a narrow waist, a big butt, and a big bust.

Technically, your ass and tits don't mean a god damned thing if your belly button sticks out as far as or further than your nipples.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #59
CptSternn

No muffin tops.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #60
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
If you are morbidly obese you can't get more morbidly obese.
That is not scientifically accurate. Increasing weight beyond the threshold of initial morbid obesity does cause increasing complications.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #61
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
That is not scientifically accurate. Increasing weight beyond the threshold of initial morbid obesity does cause increasing complications.
I'm not disagreeing with you there, but I would argue that the damage done is on a respective curve, once you get past a certain point it would increase the damage, but only minimally compared to farther down the chart.

You also have to realise by the time they reach the level of being morbidly obese there is already an issue there which exists and that if they haven't stopped themselves from getting to that point, why would they stop now?

It's not like a 700 lb person goes, 'give me three buckets of chicken, six burgers, two pizzas, oh and a diet coke because I am worried about my weight now that I am past the point of being morbidly obese'.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #62
Ben Lahnger

There are significant differences in health risks between what a 400 pound, a 600 pound and an 800 pound person faces. Despite your articulate tap dancing, you were still wrong.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #63
CptSternn

Again, if you have such a problem with it and think it should be illegal, then ring someone. People complaining to me about something happening in America does no good sure.

If you think Americans are getting away with child abuse then by all means make your voice heard!

I actually like the idea of making fat people illegal.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #64
Ben Lahnger

I didn't say any of that. I said you were wrong when you stated, "If you are morbidly obese you can't get more morbidly obese."

Say you were wrong and move on. Stop trying to change the target.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #65
CptSternn

I said you were technically right, but again, I emphasis that it still does not matter in the grand scheme sure.

A person who is 500 lbs overweight is only slightly more at risk than a person who is 400 lbs overweight.

The difference between say 10 lbs overweight and 300 would be a factor in a decision to lose weight due to medical risks, but once you pass a certain point the change, although it might technically be a fractional bit more, it is only a very minuscule change and would not be enough to factor in to a normal persons thought process.

It's not like a 700 lb person would drop to 600 lbs and be like 'wow, I am so much more healthy now. Might as well kick this diet thing sure'.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #66
Alan

You agree with Ben that "There are significant differences in health risks between what a 400 pound, a 600 pound and an 800 pound person faces."
But he's only "technically correct" because in the end it "does not matter" because there aren't significant differences because they are according to you "only a very minuscule change"?

So you don't agree with Ben after all, then? So we go back to the fact that what you're saying is scientifically inaccurate.
real classy
Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #67
CptSternn

No, he is right that there would be some difference between being 400 lbs overweight and 500 lbs overweight. What I am saying is the healths risks presented at a certain point only increase in very minuscule increments, therefore using that small increment as a basis that would lead someone to drop their weight from 500 lbs to 400 lbs seems to be a bit of a reach.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #68
Alan

Quote:
There is a direct association between the degree of obesity and medical problems, with an exponentially increased risk of death from comorbid conditions as the body mass index (BMI) increases.
http://www.dukehealth.org/services/w...ts_your_health

Quote:
Although not a perfect measure of adiposity, BMI is a strong predictor of overall mortality both above and below the apparent optimum of 22.5 kg/m2. There is a progressive increase in all cause mortality above this range which is due mainly to vascular disease.
http://www.noo.org.uk/uploads/doc/vi...expectancy.pdf

Quote:
Notably, the risk of developing a number of obesity-related co-morbidities rises exponentially with increasing BMI over 30 kg/m2
http://www.endotext.org/obesity/obesity13/obesity13.htm
real classy
Old 07-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #69
Grausamkeit

Quote:
I actually like the idea of making fat people illegal.
Sure, then they make other cosmetic things illegal; brown hair, brown eyes, stubby fingers, big feet. Then it's on to skin color and sexuality and before you know it there's a Eugenics Wonderland, riech-er right?

No, there should be no laws governing how people 'should' look.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #70
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Sure, then they make other cosmetic things illegal; brown hair, brown eyes, stubby fingers, big feet. Then it's on to skin color and sexuality and before you know it there's a Eugenics Wonderland, riech-er right?

No, there should be no laws governing how people 'should' look.

Then there definitely shouldn't be ones restricting overweight people from procreating then should there?

Which leads us back to the original discussion that people have gone way off on a tangent on.

She is fat, she makes money. Turns out many people here think it should be illegal.

Their outrage seems to begin and end with an obscure thread on Gothic.Net though.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #71
CptSternn

First off, those stats further back my assertions.

But more importantly, are you actually arguing that you think being overweight should be illegal? Or are you trying to prove why overweight people should have their children taken from them?

The whole point of the argument was that, I said she is fat, so what, and people here say her unhealthy lifestyle is bad for her children, therefore child protective services should take them away.

By posting links trying to assert how 'dangerous' her lifestyle is, does that mean you agree overweight people are such a danger to themselves and their offspring that they should be locked up and the children put into the states protective custody?

I just want to be clear about the point you are trying to make.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #72
Alan

No, you idiot. Those links clearly say that every increase in weight past a certain point is EXPONENTIALLY more risk-prone!
You're fucking saying that past one point, differences in weight don't matter in regards to how unhealthy a person is, which is THE EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE that actual research shows.

Ben only called you out on this and I'm proving that he was right and you were wrong.
real classy
Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #73
Grausamkeit

Please direct me to the posts where people besides yourself stated that it should be illegal to be overweight(or have children), Sternn. People have said that her goal of reaching a weight that could kill her and cause her child to be orphaned should not be allowed. They stated that it is child abuse to use the child to help her mother commit a slow suicide for money.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #74
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Please direct me to the posts where people besides yourself stated that it should be illegal to be overweight(or have children), Sternn. People have said that her goal of reaching a weight that could kill her and cause her child to be orphaned should not be allowed. They stated that it is child abuse to use the child to help her mother commit a slow suicide for money.
Your own post above sure. That is the argument here.

Lets look at this logically.

If you agree 'reaching a weight that could kill her and cause her child to be orphaned should not be allowed', then how exactly do you think the 'no allowed' part will come into play here? What exactly could/would the government do to make that a reality? To enforce a law, something has to be illegal. So anyone here advocating stopping this sort of behavior is advoacting making it illegal. It would fall under the category of child abuse, since it is going to be a law that makes being overweight with children illegal.

Again, using your post above which I agree is the two things people are saying here one being the first quote above and this one - 'it is child abuse to use the child to help her mother commit a slow suicide for money'.

Actually child abuse is illegal. If it is not illegal it is not child abuse. If this were made into an official law and the behaviour were outlawed then it would be child abuse. So again, I ask, are people here actually suggesting they make gaining weight when you have children or having children when you are overweight illegal?

Child abuse is a statute, it is a criminal act. This behaviour is not a criminal act. If people think it IS child abuse then what they are saying is it should be illegal.

Is it wrong? I have mixed feelings about it, but sure, until it IS officially made illegal and becomes PART of the law regarding child abuse then it is nothing more than shoddy parenting.

You can't have it both ways. Either it is child abuse and is illegal, or it isn't. One is a law which can be enforced, the other is just your opinion and has no real baring on the argument any more than your views on religion.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #75
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No, you idiot. Those links clearly say that every increase in weight past a certain point is EXPONENTIALLY more risk-prone!
You're fucking saying that past one point, differences in weight don't matter in regards to how unhealthy a person is, which is THE EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE that actual research shows.

Ben only called you out on this and I'm proving that he was right and you were wrong.
This has no real bearing on the argument here. The two of ye are nit picking and being pedantic while avoiding the main issue which ye both seem to have lost sight of. See my above post sure.

IF you think that her weight is such an issue, for whatever reason or charts, then why are ye not supporting making her actions illegal?