Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
300pockets

Location: Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Dimension 3
Question Manic Panic/Bloody Mary/Hot Topic cosmetics questions

Hey.

I'm one of those people that slacks at Gothing. I don't do my makeup everyday because
  1. I have to wakeup early for school (and I'm too lazy to get up at 5)
  2. I've got a (l'gasp!) olivey skintone (or whatever Chinese people have, I'm half Chinese).
  3. I don't own a ton.

So, I'm thinking of investing in the following Manic Panic products:

Vampire Red blush/eyeshadow
Virgin White powder
Goth White cream foundation
Black Raven eyeshadow

The thing is, I'll be getting them via Amazon, so I have no idea what they'll look like in person.

My only other option is going with the Bloody Mary brand of products, available at Hot Topic.

Bloody Mary's White Goth setting powder
Bloody Mary's red eyeshadow
Bloody Mary's pink eyeshadow

Can those eyeshadows also be used as a blush?

As well as Hot Topic's own brand of makeup. I own their black and bright red lipsticks.

I'm considering their

Wing Tip eyeliner
Dark eyeshadow palette
Rainbow eyeshadow palette
Black liquid eyeliner
And their purple iridescent nail polish

What are your thoughts on these products? Have you or someone you know tried them?

Thanks!

-Pocks
300pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Solumina

You may want to go to a beauty supply store like Sally Beauty Supply as they would have those products right there so that you could actually see what they look like or you could go to a store that specializes in makeup such as Sephora where you could try various products. Personally I'm not really a fan of Manic Panic makeup, it just doesn't seem to be a quality that justifies the price, there are better brands out there.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
300pockets

Does that store you mentioned allow non-cosmetologists in? A lot of the beauty supply stores in my area don't allow non-beauticians to go in. I'm thinking of trying Sephora, at least for the blush, but I'm not sure wherelse I'll be able to get the super-white foundation and powder.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
XxBloodyrosexX

I've been using bloody Mary's white heat goth powder for over a year now and provides a light and slightly sheer coverage that looks natural and I love. It is good because it isn't a hot topic brand; they just buy it. Don't buy hot topic brand cosmetics unless you have looked other places and can't find anything remotley similar. For liquid and stick eyeliner I'd first start with drug / dollar store brands than can go to covergirl or wet and wild. Eyeliner can be found anywhere. For crazy eye shadow colors check childeren's make-up kits. They have some crazy colors!!!
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
300pockets

How does Bloody Mary's setting powder affect your skintone? Does it whiten/lighten at all? Seeing as it's sealed @ HT, I can't really test it there. Their lipsticks and nailpolishes seemed okay, but the palettes seemed to be MP rips.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Solumina

Yes Sally Beauty is open to everyone. You should be able to find super light shades at Sephora as they carry an extremely extensive collection of shades. Mac makes some lovely makeup in very light shades, Origins also makes some very light shades (I'm particularly fond of their products).
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
300pockets

Sorry to post again, I'd just really love the questions answered.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Angelic Dissonance

I've got wing-tip eye-liner in my pocket, I love it! It's great for the Egyptian look. I love the setting powder too, I'm just out.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
300pockets

Is it a retractable eyeliner? How thick is the point? And I'm thinking of getting the setting powder, it looks awfully good, not too pale but is one able to layer it?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
Angelic Dissonance

It's retractable, it's just a little soft(maybe from carrying it in my pocket?) and so it may be difficult to do a smoky look, but it's really great for bold lines. The tip is [you know those sucky retractable ones that are like, pecil-thin? it's that X four or five of that]. It's thick enough where you can cover your bottom lid in one stroke(but several produces better results), and then thin enough to be able to cover the diagonal inner corner of the upper lid. As for the red eye-shadow, why couldn't you use it for blush? I like the black eye-shadow, I've been meaning to get some red. Only for when I feel ragged, though.... raw. I call it 'Emotive Expressionalism'--You should always look how you feel.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
300pockets

I could use the red for blush. It's just that people seem to either love or hate Manic Panic. Their vampire red eyeshadow apparently doubles as a blush, but I checked their site and they advertise all their eyeshadow as blushes as well. I thought that eyeshadows were usually pigmented but harsher on the skin, whereas blushes had less pigment and were gentler. Last year, I used eyeliner on my cheeks to draw a beard, along with some eyeshadow, and I broke out, so I don't want to risk that again.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
Solumina

Cheap eyeliner frequently clogs pores, that was most likely what caused your breakout, I have rather frequently used eyeshadow and blush interchangeably with not problems.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
300pockets

That totally makes sense. Thanks!

What's really bright pink blush? Like a hot pink?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
Lolly PopMuzik

*coughMACcough* Also, I swung by my store's counter today to look for some red eyeshadow and was told they don't make red eyeshadows because they can irritate the eyes.

It can be MAC, Clinique, or Origins. Just hit a spot where you feel welcome and brace yourself if you are told to try to different shades to achieve any dark looks as whatever works for the pale Little Miss Scare All may not be such a good idea for your skin tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Dissonance View Post
I've got wing-tip eye-liner in my pocket, I love it! It's great for the Egyptian look. I love the setting powder too, I'm just out.
Ooh, not your pockets. That stuff already has a short lifespan and your body heat will cut it down to make it clumpy and sticky on your eyelids.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #15
Angelic Dissonance

I heard you can put it in the fridge. I've never tried it, though. Probably the best eyeliner I've ever used was--don't laugh, I AM a dude--Victoria's Secret Velvet Black. It's retractable, but thick-pointed--and it doesn't melt. Hell, it barely comes off. Anyway, if the skin-tone is too dark for setting powder, couldn't you just use a little green in conjunction with a good foundation, to cancel some of the red? I've noticed that even if I get a slight tan(and I'm nearly a quarter Native American, so it's easy to do), a kind of halo of setting powder around my jaw and forehead actually looks more pale than if I cover my face in it. Well, since I don't feel it's important enough to start a new thread on, I'll ask here: Any thoughts on white eye-shadow? I've tried an inch of powder on my upper eye-lid with smoky black on the bottom lid and got good comments.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #16
300pockets

That sounds great, I'll have to try it some time. I'm guessing it makes your eyes "pop" because the white's like a brightening stick.

I decided I'm going to hit up the Sephora properly, try out all the blushes (the NARS ones look neat-o, and maybe I'll go for a tint, because I like to avoid powders), and get the setting powder at HT just because. My skin tone is what a white person would have if they were considered "light tan". That's a weird description, but I can't figure out the tone's name myself. Golden makes it seem rather yellowy. I'm half-Chinese, half-white, hence the different skintone.

I'm going to definitely look at the VS eyeliner. I thought they only had lip glosses, and I'm glad to see I was severely misinformed.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #17
DemiGoth

Well i don't do makeup (considering i'm a guy and i just dont like it, i try to keep my skin naturally pale as possible) but when if i was in your position i would try the hot topic stuff first, as crappy of a store it can be sometimes its probably better not to order stuff when you dont know what its like. but if you feel risky (like i usually am) then go for the stuff on amazon, its probably a better brand/quality anyway.
DemiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
300pockets

So, I went to Hot Topic.

I got the setting powder, red BM's eyeshadow, and the same eyeshadow in pink. I got the pink/turqouise nailpolish, a duo eyeliner in pink/green and a duo in red/black, and an orange.

The nailpolish is nice, it takes 3 coats to achieve bottle color, but it chips really easily. It needs a topcoat.

The eyeshadows are very pigmented and nicely textured, just like the setting powder.

The eyeliners suck. The orange is eh, the black/red is blah, and the pink/green had crooked lead and no amount of sharpening could fix it. Never buying those again.

I'm going to hit up the Long's or something for some eyeliner.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #19
Pineapple_Juice

The thing I've noticed about eyeliner vs the price of said eyeliner is that you get what you pay for. I've been using a cheap-ass liquid liner and it wipes off like nobody's business. When I lay down my eyes water in the corner (don't know why) but when I buy cheap shit-even if it's waterproof-it'll be gone as soon as I decide to take a rest.

If you want your eyeliner to stay put, I recommend looking into a good brand. I figure eyeliner and foundation are the two things you should spend money on if you want quality and something that won't screw with your skin. Everything else you can buy cheap.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #20
Joker_in_the_Pack

MAC never comes off. Seriously, it's permanent marker for eyeliner. Expensive though..
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:38 AM   #21
Cicero

I've been too nervous to use my waterproof MAC liquidliner ever since I fucked it up and had conveniently ran out of makeup remover. Couldn't get it off for days.

I like Kanebo's liquid eyeliner, it's shaped like a pen. It may be pricey but lasts forever, I've had mine for about 3 years and it's showing no signs of running out.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #22
SiouxsiePernova

I recommend Revlon's automatic Colourstay Eyeliner. It is reasonably priced and high quality.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #23
300pockets

http://www.prevention.com/cda/articl...bi.brown/0/0/1

http://beauty.about.com/od/makeuptri...urgesave_6.htm

Two very interesting guides about what to splurge or save on.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
PrettyGoth

Wink Best Cosmetics!

Have you ever tried Dirty Cosmetics? They have amazing funky, edgy colors and really good product. Ever since I started using Dirty Cosmetics i cannot use any other kind of makeup. Nothing else compares! Dirty Cosmetic color pigments last all day without me having to reapply. The foundation is so perfect for my skin and feels very light. I hope they expand into more stores but you can order right on their website: www.dirty-cosmetics.com Once you go Dirty you never go back!
PrettyGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #25
solanine

I've been using Barry M (not sure if it's only available in the UK) but their black eye crayon is so soft it glides on and doesn't disappear too quickly either. I use it as a liner or to colour the lower lids and smudge it slightly if going for the smokey look.

They also do a great colour range of powder eye shadows in the most amazing colours some are glittery as well. I have the dark purple glitter eye shadow and I love it going back for some more colours once pay day gets here.

http://www.barrym.com/
solanine is offline   Reply With Quote