Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
xbloodyxsnowx

anybody like AFI?

anyone cause I feel I am the one does.
xbloodyxsnowx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
xbloodyxsnowx

i guess i am
Old 04-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
chelseagirl

They're "listenable", but I don't like them enough to every buy an album or anything.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
maggot

You mean "Sing the Sorrow" and "Decemberunderground"?
Ugh. What the fuck is wrong with you.

Or do you mean the era of "Answer That and stay fashionable" and "Open your Eyes"?
I like this era. Early AFI was good. It wasn't commercialized bullshit created for the sole purpose of money.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Draconysius

I liked A.F.I. before "Sing the Sorrow" and "Decemberunderground". They WERE a melodic punk band, but soon the advent of money and fame got to them and they all-of-a-sudden decided to jump on the poseur bandwagon while it was picking up speed. Now they're just a shitty pop punk band that wears eyeliner.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
Cicero

Yes, I like AFI. Love AFI in fact. They've changed, perhaps become more 'commercial', but as long as the music is still good I'll keep listening... just as I've done since 2002.

I'm so sick of people whinging about their popularity and move into the mainstream. If you don't like their new sound just say it: you don't like their new sound, because there should be no more to it than that. People so often forget the entire purpose of music - it's entertainment, not politics. Save your knicker-knotting for more important matters.

(And there are far too many threads like this.)

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
maggot

"Punk is politics"
Old 04-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
Cicero

Haha, good point. But AFI haven't been punk for quite some time...

Old 04-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
KontanKarite

AFI has been a money maker for quite some time.

This isn't a bad thing. But, it just happens to not be a sound I'm interested in.

I first heard AFI in 2003/04 I think. I did not like them. They got on my nerves.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
Draconysius

I guess I'll say it then: AFI's sound sucks now. It's too much like Blink 182 for Chrissakes.

I still however, like Tool despite their hyper-popularity. Then again, I don't think they were TRYING to appeal to the mainstream. Anyway, I'm off-topic.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #11
honeythorn

I love AFI. I'm working my way backwards through their stuff. I first heard them when STS came out, I've got up to Black sails so far. I'm a bit of a slow listener. I'll be seeing them nest friday at the Give it a name tour. They're the only band on the lineup I actually like, the rest is a steaming heap of shitting wankjuice.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #12
maggot

The farther back you go, the better it gets.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
BlackDahlia

I love AFI. I got to see them in concert a couple months back, and they rocked verily. I don't care what anyone says, I'll listen to what I want. If you don't like it, stick it in your ear. ^^
BlackDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
Ictum

I abhor their early stuff, it's unlistenable to me. But hey, I'm on a gothic forum and the closest I get to listen to "goth" is Joy Division and Lacrimosa.

I'm not much for Decemberunderground, but I deem Sing The Sorrow and The Art Of Drowning listenable.

Skate-punk is like hiphop to me, I'll never understand the point of it.

Then again, I listen to everything from Panic! At The Disco to Khanate, so my view is kind of... Wierd.
Ictum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #15
ChiChian

I'm part of the Despair Faction myself.

I relatively ignore the whole "they sold out" debate because for the most part, it took them a good number of albums before the mainstream took interest in them. Good for them, I say. If it's what the band wants, so be it. At least they haven't become uber douche bags like Avenged Sevenfold transformed into.

I just have a problem with most of AFI's fans these days. Besides the fact the scene girls are pissing their skinny jeans with every waking moment Davey walks this earth... or are busily writing love scenes between Jade and he... the fans I've encountered are kind of stuck up.

For example, every time I've complimented someone on their AFI shirt or sweater, their response is always the same. Their either give me a look as though I'm insane and ignore the fact I do exist or roll their eyes at me.

Um, hello? I know you bought that merchandise from your local Hot Topic or Spencers, you asshole. You're not original.
ChiChian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
honeythorn

I'd love to join the DF but I have no credit card or debit card, and haven't the slightest clue as to how I would join by post ( If you even can ) I have never written a cheque in my life either so I'm pretty much fucked on that count.

I do go to the official site ( afireinside.net ) though, I have the same username too.

Best of all, I am seeing them play next fridaaaaay! Get in!. I'm also taking part in the Birminghamunderground book project too. The guys who did it last year are doing it again next week, so I get to write my message to the guys and do a little artwork on my page

I know what you mean about the stuck up fans though, I have met a few decent people who were perfectly friendly, but I do agree that many are snotty, espescially when they find out that I am not a DF member, and do not yet own every single album/song that ever existed or know every fact about them. There are some who have been very dismissive, as though I have no right to sit at the front of the queue to get a good place! They just look at me and you can almost see the words travel across their heads..." why are you here ".
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #17
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
I know what you mean about the stuck up fans though, I have met a few decent people who were perfectly friendly, but I do agree that many are snotty, espescially when they find out that I am not a DF member, and do not yet own every single album/song that ever existed or know every fact about them. There are some who have been very dismissive, as though I have no right to sit at the front of the queue to get a good place! They just look at me and you can almost see the words travel across their heads..." why are you here ".
Damn, sounds like you haven't had great experiences with fans. Me neither. But at the AFI show I went to I found the DF members nicer than most of the other people there - they were there for the music. Once I lost sight of my DF friends I was surrounded by fangirls scratching and kicking their way to the front barrier. I got trampled by them, too. My sister was beaten up for getting in the way of some of them. After the show I was almost ashamed for being a fan of AFI just because of how disgusting so many of the other fans acted at a time when we should all have been united by our love for the band. It sounds naive, I know, but I really thought people would be a little bit more concerned with the music than being a few metres closer to OMGZDAVEY!!!

As I've said in all the other threads, Black Sails in the Sunset is my favourite AFI album, Art of Drowning second. I still really enjoy STS and Decemberunderground, and Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes is also awesome. The older stuff is only for when I'm in either an extremely happy or extremely angry mood though ("Cruise Control", however, is for any time, haha. I love that song).

Old 04-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #18
maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChian
I'm part of the Despair Faction myself.

I relatively ignore the whole "they sold out" debate because for the most part, it took them a good number of albums before the mainstream took interest in them. Good for them, I say. If it's what the band wants, so be it. At least they haven't become uber douche bags like Avenged Sevenfold transformed into.

Actually, they readily admitted "Yeah, we sold out." in one interview.
It's not in our minds.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #19
BlackDahlia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Damn, sounds like you haven't had great experiences with fans. Me neither. But at the AFI show I went to I found the DF members nicer than most of the other people there - they were there for the music. Once I lost sight of my DF friends I was surrounded by fangirls scratching and kicking their way to the front barrier. I got trampled by them, too. My sister was beaten up for getting in the way of some of them. After the show I was almost ashamed for being a fan of AFI just because of how disgusting so many of the other fans acted at a time when we should all have been united by our love for the band. It sounds naive, I know, but I really thought people would be a little bit more concerned with the music than being a few metres closer to OMGZDAVEY!!!
Rabid fangirls of anything are scary. They're like a Bacchical cult that would rip out your entrails if you got in their way. >_>;
Thankfully, there were only a handful of ones like that at the concert I went to...everyone else acted like relatively civilized human beings.
BlackDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #20
St._Exmin

AFI didn't really do anything for me, but Son of Sam (a side project with Davey Havok) is freakin' phenominal.

I hope they do another album, because their first one was amazing (although it's pretty short.) Esp. the song 'Michael.'
St._Exmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #21
Cicero

Son of Sam sadly have no plans of ever recording another album, but I definitely agree with you about 'Michael', and the rest of the 'Songs from the Earth' album. Amazing.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #22
xbloodyxsnowx

Well i adore AFI and Davey Havok i mean i almost ran away to Mexico City to see their concert! i am a huge fan! and please dont say they suck it hurts my feelings well not really but it upsets me because i absolutely and completly am devoted to their music it helped me so i can't help but love them. I hope one day i can thank them in person. Yeah i am really obsessed but dont get me wrong not stalker fanatic but well just a fanatic. You know what i mean?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #23
maggot

Capitalize your "I"s.

Furthermore, no matter how much you like them, their modern namesake sucks. I'm not gonna sugarcoat anything for you.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #24
xbloodyxsnowx

Oww...that hurt a bit.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #25
maggot

That's a little sad, right there. :O