Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
kwaniesiam

Exclamation Attention everyone who regularly dyes their hair red(or black)!!!

I used to dye my hair red with chemicals, but was sick to death of my color fading from this lovely rich red/burgandy coloring to a hideous orangey color within a few weeks. Not only would the color not keep, but it fried my hair to keep having to coloring it. Then I learned about henna.

For those of you that might not know, henna is a plant commonly used in Indian body art and temporary tattooing. It can also be used to dye hair. Not only does the color not fade, it strengthens and conditions your hair, rather than stripping it to an inch of its life like repeated chemical dye use does.

http://hennaforhair.com/ All your henna info can be found there to anyone interested in a much easier and safer way to color your hair red. Just make sure you use body art quality henna, and not the mix boxes you commonly find in health food stores. Body art quality henna has a much higher quality and concentration of dye plus is safer as most pre mixed henna boxes contain other additives.

Indigo can also be used in a two-step process to achieve black hair. I have never done this myself, but there are plenty of examples and instructions for it on the site I linked. Seeing as both red and black are common gothy hair colors, I decided to share this as henna saved my hair (and me a lot of coloring frustrations)

Let me know if anyone here converts to henna

Here's a picture of my hair.
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

I've used henna before, and I really love it. I actually was lucky enough to use henna straight from India, and it was REALLY nice.

Just never use black henna. I've heard it's illegal here, because it makes you sick/is bad for you/something something.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Porphyria

Just a word about henna:

Pure henna is extremely safe, but also really hard to find. It also isn't available in black.

Black henna and some brands of red henna contain a chemical called para-phenylenediamine (PPD) which, in higher concentrations, can cause extreme allergic reactions in some people. When the reaction is caused by PPD exposure in henna hair dyes, it can lead to blistering of the scalp, which can result in scarring and permanent hair loss. In less-severe cases, PPD exposure can cause a sensitivity to other chemicals in common medicines, like benzocaine (used in many topical anti-itch creams) and sulfa-based antibiotics. This can lead to an unexpected life-threatening reaction to these products.

Because the FDA does not classify henna as a drug like other hair dyes, they do not regulate the amount of PPD allowed in henna products. In other words, be very, very careful that you know what you're buying if you decide to use henna.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
kwaniesiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porphyria
Just a word about henna:

Pure henna is extremely safe, but also really hard to find. It also isn't available in black.

Black henna and some brands of red henna contain a chemical called para-phenylenediamine (PPD) which, in higher concentrations, can cause extreme allergic reactions in some people. When the reaction is caused by PPD exposure in henna hair dyes, it can lead to blistering of the scalp, which can result in scarring and permanent hair loss. In less-severe cases, PPD exposure can cause a sensitivity to other chemicals in common medicines, like benzocaine (used in many topical anti-itch creams) and sulfa-based antibiotics. This can lead to an unexpected life-threatening reaction to these products.

Because the FDA does not classify henna as a drug like other hair dyes, they do not regulate the amount of PPD allowed in henna products. In other words, be very, very careful that you know what you're buying if you decide to use henna.
Exactly. Black coloring is only safely achieved through a two step process involving one henna application and afterwards indigo. Indigo is not black henna, it is a green powder that when mixed with water will be a dark blue-black color and should smell natural, kind of like peas.

You can order pure body art quality henna offline here. This is where I get mine, and it's awesome. http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairhenna.html
Old 08-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
psyches_reflection

Kwaniesiam, what colour is your hair naturally? I've dyed my hair with Henna before, and I'm fond of it, I'm just wondering if that kind of colour is obtainable on naturally dark brown hair.

*Has always wanted shiny dark-red hair*
Old 08-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
electrosexual

I've used it before .. not really for me, as I'd want more dramatic shades, but I still use it as a good last resort to turn to when your hair's too fried to put anything else in :]
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porphyria
Just a word about henna:

Actually, I got a very nice black henna in a cosmetics shop near where I live. It's a worldwide company, too.

www.lush.com

If you cant find it you'll definately smell it :]
Old 08-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
honeythorn

I love Lush I have looked at their henna, but I haven't seen any actual people who have tried it. I haven't seen the results before my eyes so until I do I won't buy any.

I probably won't use henna because once you have, you can no longer use normal hair dye. And since my hair basically doesn't grow I have no chance of growing the henna out if I don't like the result.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
electrosexual

True True. I ignored that advice and used dye over henna. The dye lasted for about a week then just started washing out.

And 4 hours with your head wrapped in saran wrap and gloop isn't exactly my idea of fun :/

None the less, you do get fab results.

And yes, I'm a Lush addict. Eeeep *~*
Old 08-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
kwaniesiam

The henna you used from Lush probably isn't black henna, its a compound henna with other things in it such as indigo. Blackhenna is a dangerous chemical as was already stated.

My hair is naturally medium shit brown, hence why I color it x.x

Henna does not lighten your hair, but rather combines with your natural color. Depending on how dark your hair is naturally, you'll get a different shade of red. Check out the mixes section of hennaforhair.com
Old 08-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
electrosexual

Well the ingredients stated "black henna" as the primary ingredient, followed by blue indigo root powder.

Eitherway I really wouldn't suggest henna unless you're pretty sure you want to have red or black hennaed hair for a long time, because you'll have to wait for the hennaed hair to grow out before chemically treating your hair in any other way.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
kwaniesiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
Well the ingredients stated "black henna" as the primary ingredient, followed by blue indigo root powder.

Eitherway I really wouldn't suggest henna unless you're pretty sure you want to have red or black hennaed hair for a long time, because you'll have to wait for the hennaed hair to grow out before chemically treating your hair in any other way.
As long as you didn't have a bad reaction then that sounds interesting. I've been getting tired of red and might try coloring some sections black.

If you used body art quality, it's safe to chemically process your hair overtop of it, but I wouldn't risk it if you're not sure or at least do a strand test. Some hennas have metallic salts in them that can react badly with chemical dyes.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
Cicero

I used henna and indigo for years - in Malaysia it cost about $50 per dye and it was more readily available than chemical dyes. I used to swear by it.

The problem is when you get sick of the colour, because henna doesn't bleach out. Even professional hairdressers won't attempt to bleach henna because of the damage it causes.

I've switched to ammonia-free semi-permanent black and Manic Panic for my brightly coloured sections (which I had to grow out before bleaching them after all my henna-use), and my hair is no worse than when I used henna.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #14
Porphyria

Quote:

There is only one type of real henna because there are no variations of the henna plant. Pure henna is always red or brown or somewhere in between, depending on the climate in which it was grown.

The first ingredient in this dye, what they're calling "black henna," is a type of indigo. It also contains red henna, which is what creates the "black" effect with this product. This stuff seems ok because they're mixing two types of organic dyes (neither of which are known to cause serious allergic reactions) instead of adding a chemical darkener to red henna.

I'm not saying all "black henna" is bad, just that you have to be absolutely sure you know what you're getting when you buy it.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
Anguelon

I have been using Henna for the past nine years. I usually buy Henna in powder form. I have very long hair and would never jepordize my virgin-like hair with chemicals. I have to state that it's difficult to dye your hair with chemicals after using Henna. This is what many hairdressers at home have told me for we use the Idian Henna. I would like to share the mixture that I have been using for many years on my hair with you guys.-
Ingredients:
-Powder Henna
-Ceylon Tea
-One big tablespoon of Yogurt
- One big tablespoon of Olive Oil
- One big egg

First get a bowl, put the Henna in it. I use Ceylon Tea for the main reason that this tea is more pure and stains more as well. I don't advise using teabags. I usually buy Ceylon tea by kilo. Boil some tea and set to cool for half an hour only. Now, form a well in the Henna and add the yogurt, olive oil and the egg. Mix them well even if they haven't been absorbed by all the powder. Now add the tea while mixing slowly and thoroughly. Now the mixture should be as thick as yogurt to be very precise. Believe me, you wouldn't want thick or watery Henna on your head. Leave it to set for two hours. Then add it with a dye brush on your hair. Now, instead of leaving the Henna for two hours to dry on your head, use a hair dryer for the goal is when the Henna is dried it means the color has been absorbed. So what I do is dry my hair till the Henna becomes like dry dirt in my hair. Then, I wash it out in the bathtub. Enjoy!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #16
kwaniesiam

Have you noticed the yogurt and tea affecting your mixture in any way? Normally I mix mine with very strong chamomile tea and some fresh lemon juice and was wondering if different acids and herbs could change the final outcome of the color. I normally wrap my hair in saran wrap and leave it moist fo 2-4 hours. If the henna ends up too dark, I'll use an amla and olive oil leave in then re apply henna mixed mostly with cassia.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #17
Anguelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaniesiam
Have you noticed the yogurt and tea affecting your mixture in any way? Normally I mix mine with very strong chamomile tea and some fresh lemon juice and was wondering if different acids and herbs could change the final outcome of the color. I normally wrap my hair in saran wrap and leave it moist fo 2-4 hours. If the henna ends up too dark, I'll use an amla and olive oil leave in then re apply henna mixed mostly with cassia.
It depends on the type of tea. Normally, for red Henna I get used to use this herb which I can't seem to remember it's name in English but it's called Karkand in arabic. It's red dry leaves and makes your Henna redder. The mixture above applies to both red and black Henna. The herb I mentioned, I've only used it with red Henna. I don't advise you to use lemon juice. I don't know about the Henna in the States but the one here in Lebanon goes better with yogurt although it has acid. Not to forget, Lebanon's water has a lot of minerals which dulls your hair. I miss the water back in NY! I think the chamomile is great with the red Henna. I know that the darker the tea the better it is for black Henna.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #18
electrosexual

Could it be saffron?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #19
Anguelon

Never thought of Saffron to be honest. I'll give it a try next time.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #20
Linen

I've wanted to try this, but I was afraid of not getting the right results. Currently my hair is dyed black, and I used to dye it red all the time. I think my natural hair color is a dark brown, but it was red when I was a kid. Anywho, I would love to try henna, but will it work over already-dyed hair? I know it was said that hair with henna wouldn't dye with regular dye, but will the opposite work? Also, I'm not sure if I'd want to stick with black or go red again (I'm indecisive).
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #21
Nitocris

Henna on hair is not something I would ever try because it has to grow out entirely, you cannot put anything else over it or bleach it afterwards. I also am not entirely sure as to whether it works on pre-treated hair or not.

As to "black henna", it isn't henna at all. It may have a tiny tiny percentage of henna, but the active ingredient is the PPD. People don't clarify this often enough and make it sound like there really is a black variety of henna, and that variety is toxic. It isn't the henna at all that's the problem.

There is, however, a new black skin temporary tattoo kit called Jagua that has no PPD or henna, it's a whole other herb, and it is non-toxic. I don't know if it works on hair or not. The company that makes it is my favorite henna brand, Earth Henna, so I'm going to check it out sometime.
Nitocris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #22
psyches_reflection

Quote:
Actually, I got a very nice black henna in a cosmetics shop near where I live. It's a worldwide company, too.

www.lush.com

If you cant find it you'll definately smell it :]
I've used their Caca Noir (and I'm also a Lush addict ), and I can confirm it contains no synthetic black dyes, as I'm allergic to them. It is a henna/indigo mix.

I'm sad to say I found it totally ineffective, in that it made my hair slightly darker but nowhere near black - even after six hours in cling-film. I think it may need a few successive applications for a noticeable result. In my brief research into the subject, I got the idea that henna and indigo needed to be applied seperately and successively to make your hair black, though I may be wrong.

I've also used Caca Rouge, and it gave my hair a lovely fiery sheen
Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #23
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
I've wanted to try this, but I was afraid of not getting the right results. Currently my hair is dyed black, and I used to dye it red all the time. I think my natural hair color is a dark brown, but it was red when I was a kid. Anywho, I would love to try henna, but will it work over already-dyed hair? I know it was said that hair with henna wouldn't dye with regular dye, but will the opposite work? Also, I'm not sure if I'd want to stick with black or go red again (I'm indecisive).
I used it over previously dyed/bleached/straightened/backcombed/blowdried/bleached some more/dyed some more hair.

it worked :]
Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #24
Pale Empress

I to used the one from Lush and had zilch results, it didn't change my hair colour at all.

I use a permanent dye from Holland and Barrett and has less chemicals than the usual ones in the shops.
Pale Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #25
Death_Mask

I should try that though my red stays vibrant for a very long time.
Death_Mask is offline   Reply With Quote