Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #26
Deadhymn

when people complain about being nerdy, i usually tell them to take consolation in the fact that Johnny Depp feels their pain, as he is probably the likeliest candidate for nerd king if there ever was one. The guy's a fucking dork, but damn is he rad.
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #27
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Ha ha sheeple!

Imma use that word now!I normally use the old stand-by 'norms', but sheeple's just awesome!
Ha ha I usually call them "Mundanes" (like the other Ren-Faire people). Winged- we can be dorky together!
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:30 PM   #28
Ravena

I always thought sheeple were cowboys with sheep fetishes. I stand corrected.

I go to an arts school, so Goths, wanna-bees, punks, Emos, surfers... It all abounds. But the WORST thing you can be at my school is... unoriginal.
Especially in my department (Creative Writing), Goth is Cliche, and you can be crucified in the courtyard during A,B,C, and D lunches, and arts area meetings for such a crime. Cliche has been done before, and is taboo, and Goth is seen as the epitome of Cliche, though I dont see why Goth is and not... Stoner surfer, which is acceptable for some reason.

OH WE ARE SO PICKED UPON MY HORRIBLE DOOM OF DARKNESS!!!

Ehem. Sorry... went off track, and am not even sure I made a poimt here.
I've had you my way.
Orgy~The Spectrum
Ravena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #29
akhira

Since goth has never been heard of from around her it's no cliche. Not yet. My wearing black around the office has now earned me the unoffical title "Blackie". Now that's cliche folks. :wink:

Around animation school nobody used to care as long as you successfully animate eyeballs popping form their sockets. My faculty actually drew Jack the ripper cartoons.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:54 AM   #30
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravena
I always thought sheeple were cowboys with sheep fetishes. I stand corrected.

Sheep + People = Sheeple!

Sheeple n.

1) Any group of people who will blindly follow an ingrained dogma without question. Can easily be identified by the frightened, incoherent bleeting when their beliefs are questioned.

2) Any group of people easily frightened by anything outside the confines of the established "flock". Also easily identified by their incoherent bleeting when an "interloper" attempts to join in.

3) (archaic) The issue between a shepherd and his favorite Ewe. :P

Yes, I'm in a smart-assed mood today. Just ignore me.
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:28 PM   #31
winged_dreams

What about the issue between a man and his chicken? People + chicken = ? Don't mind me. I'm in a weird mood and I'm being constantly reminded of sex cases from Psychopathia Sexualis. That's such an amazing book. One case involves a man fucking chickens and killing them. He couldn't have normal sex because his penis was too small for normal intercourse.

And fucking chickens is so gothic! Ha!! I got something in about the topic title. By the way, I was joking about the fucking chickens thing.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #32
OnixxFilth

I feel like slaughtering the idiot who claimed that goth isn't a lifestyle and that it's mere aesthetics disguising itself as philosophy. Actually it is both a philosophy and a lifestyle- it's a life philosophy! Gee whiz, people! By the way, I like that "sheeple" word- I'll have to start using it myself! :mrgreen:
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #33
OnixxFilth

Erk- it's sad but true that there are no other visible goths at my school. However, it does mean that I get all the attention! :mrgreen: Damn, I love that green smiley face!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:56 AM   #34
winged_dreams

I'm in college now so there aren't many 'goth' looking people at least in the college. The college has an alternative high school. There's about 40 or so students (my friend is one of them). Almost all of them dress 'gothic' in some way. And I'm using goth only in the loose sense when I'm describing clothing. I usually don't do that unless I'm trying to get across a sense of what the people are wearing. It's mostly Hot Topic clothing. So I really don't have a point except go to New Jersey and join the 'goth' high school.

And there's nothing wrong with being a nerd with fashion sense! I know I said that before but I'm following Xng's example! ^_^

Old 02-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #35
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
I feel like slaughtering the idiot who claimed that goth isn't a lifestyle and that it's mere aesthetics disguising itself as philosophy.
HEY LOY!
Someone's beggin' you to verbally bitch-slap 'em!

^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnnixFilth
Actually it is both a philosophy and a lifestyle- it's a life philosophy! Gee whiz, people! By the way, I like that "sheeple" word- I'll have to start using it myself! :mrgreen:
It's not the same as the Bondage/s&m lifestyle, but there are some who regard it as a lifestyle.The partying, always dressing in velvet/corsets/victorian garb, looks like fun and while I enjoy dressing up and going out I don't think that 90% of 'goths' actually ascribe to a certain 'lifestyle'.That would be utterly limiting and totally against what goths stand for, yes?

We simply dress in what makes us comfortable and listen to the groups we like.It's no more of a lifestyle than grunge was.

It's simply who we are.And one day Loy will wonder why he doesn't call himself 'goth'.

:wink:
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #36
drgnlvr

Piffle! I'm not Goth, I'm just moody! :P

*hides under the couch*
Old 02-17-2005, 03:53 PM   #37
Jane13

OK... at my highschool there are two other girls that I would consider goths- all three of us are comepletely different and don't really know each other outside classes. Then.... there's this thing where all the white trash people try to be "goth" by being sexually promiscuous, coming to school drunk, and talking about how much they love slipknot and manson at the top of their lungs. I have this to say- ugly hair, worse make-up, TOO short hottopic bondage skirts, and very stinky posuers.... That was too much of a rant... sorry....
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 02-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #38
OnixxFilth

Oh, well, rants are always welcome, hehe! Sometimes ya just gotta speak what's on your mind! Oi, Jane, that sounds like a really dumb thing going on at your school, what with the white trash people thinking that liking Manson or Slipknot and sleeping around makes them goth! It's like my boyfriend who thinks he was in a "goth phase" in high school because he was depressed and listened to Manson! I just sat there shaking my head when he told me that (we were on the phone) and thinking,"Once again, a mistaken stereotype is being perpetuated."
Old 02-17-2005, 04:24 PM   #39
Ravena

Someone (can't remember who) once said that Hinduism was a lifestyle, not a religion. Though we aren't touching on religion here, just thought I'd throw that inot the mix and see if anyone could parallel it and dredge up more ish about Goth culture.

Could we say it is a lifestyle and not a fashion choice? You can dress 'Goth', but I for one plan on having a home decorated in velvet, dark tones, wrought iron, and whatever else I can find that appeals to me (be it considered Goth or not). So, would someone dressing as a Goth but not living like one (home decor and such) be considered Goth or Poseur? Touchy touchy... :?
Just curious what you slu- eh, guys think.
I've had you my way.
Orgy~The Spectrum
Ravena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #40
Jane13

Good point, Ravena ^.^ I can't wait untill I get my room painted this May... Enviroment is very important to me, as well.
-Cinema Strange
Old 02-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #41
winged_dreams

What color are you painting your room, Jane? My room's a light blue color I think. I don't mind it because I get a big room to myself.

I'm afraid I have a confession to make. I have a pair of Hot Topic bondage pants. My friend gave them to me and I like wearing them. They haven't fallen apart yet which is surprising.

*joins drgnlvr and hides under the couch*

Old 02-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #42
akhira

Quote:
Someone (can't remember who) once said that Hinduism was a lifestyle, not a religion.
Your right there Ravena. parallaels:

1) Like in goth culture there are people in hinduism.. who just go throught he motions so to speak. While not considering the true spirit of it. a.ka. like poseurs.

2) Then there are those who don't shout it ou tloud from the rooftops, pu kep the whole experience in their hearts. rgardless of how they look or dress. a.k.a. true goths.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:38 AM   #43
skoteinh

Quote:

Could we say it is a lifestyle and not a fashion choice? You can dress 'Goth', but I for one plan on having a home decorated in velvet, dark tones, wrought iron, and whatever else I can find that appeals to me (be it considered Goth or not). So, would someone dressing as a Goth but not living like one (home decor and such) be considered Goth or Poseur? Touchy touchy... :?
Just curious what you slu- eh, guys think.
I would say goth is a state of mind....
I for one, do not dress "gothic" all the time... at work for example, I wear "normal" clothes. OK, mainly black "normal" clothes...
But my thoughts and preferences in music, literature, art etc. are "dark" and I plan on having a home exactly as you described.
On the other hand, there are those people that dress up but do not have anything to do with the "gothic mentality", if I may use such a term.

Of course, goth is about individuality, and different people perceive it differently, and who am I to judge?

On the term "poseur", I know it acquired negative connotations, but I admire the poseurs because most of them make really great efforts to look good and most of them do! (they may exaggerate a wee bit, but I miss the 80's style of heavy white make-up and frilly shirts)
Anyway, what I say about the poseurs apply to Greece, I don't know what are things like in the States.

And I'm not going to hide under the couch! It's getting crowded! :shock:
Old 02-18-2005, 03:18 AM   #44
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoteinh

I would say goth is a state of mind....
I for one, do not dress "gothic" all the time... at work for example, I wear "normal" clothes. OK, mainly black "normal" clothes...
I wear alot of black, but they're hardly "goth" in style. There are a couple reasons...1) I like black, 2) it's slimming (okay, just let me have my little delusion, alright?) 3) I kinda got into the habit when married to a biker, and those were the colours of the clothes I ended up with. And because I'm a cheap-assed bitch, I try to buy clothes I can "mix-n-match". So...I end up with alot of black.

Quote:
Of course, goth is about individuality, and different people perceive it differently, and who am I to judge?
This, along with "Finding beauty in ugliness, and ugliness in beauty" are probably the truest things I've seen said about being Goth.

Quote:
On the term "poseur", I know it acquired negative connotations, but I admire the poseurs because most of them make really great efforts to look good and most of them do! (they may exaggerate a wee bit, but I miss the 80's style of heavy white make-up and frilly shirts)
Anyway, what I say about the poseurs apply to Greece, I don't know what are things like in the States.
The bikers I used to hang with had a saying..."You have to be a wannabe, before you -can- be." We all gotta start somewhere, yes?

Quote:
And I'm not going to hide under the couch! It's getting crowded! :shock:
Actually, this particular couch is one I tend to take with me, wherever I go. It has it's own dimensional portal, and plenty of room. :lol:

Just beware of the vorpal dust-bunnies.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:34 AM   #45
OnixxFilth

Well, winged_dreams, I might have to join you under the couch myself, considering how I have quite a few Hot Topic clothing items- well, boots, mostly. I don't necessarily think it's a cheap brand, it all depends on how careful you are with things. I wasn't surprised my friend's boots fell apart, considering how she did very ambitious things in them, such as hiking, while I only wear mine to school or while haunting the downtown area of my city. I've heard tell that a lot of religions think Chrisitians are strange because many of them claim to be Christians but don't live like it. On the "would you be a poseur if you were goth and didn't decorate your house like it?" question, I think the answer is no. I for one have a very odd room- light pink walls, covered in heavy metal posters, with a navy blue bed spread with stars and astrological signs on it- it's a mix of everything, I guess! :lol:
Old 02-18-2005, 01:23 PM   #46
Loy

State of mind? Lifestyle?

*bangs head on table repeatedly*

Jesus Christ, people, there's no such thing as *goth* outside of fashion statements. Get it? It's not a philosophy, not a lifestyle, not even a thought line outside of (here's that word again) aesthetics.

See, it goes like this-"oh, they're mopey and wearing a lot of black, but too cowardly to actually commit suicide because they're somehow 'artistic'? They're GOTH"

Or, another way of putting it-

http://maddox.xmission.com/gothics.html

and a follow-up-

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=gothagain

Enjoy
Old 02-19-2005, 06:19 PM   #47
WolfMoon

I actually enjoy his whole website!

He's completely hilarious!

If you really wanna see some funny goths,just hop on goth.net and read some of the pretentious bastards that post there!

Some of them actually tell others (and are backed up by many) that you have to know X song(s) by X band(s) and read X literature and dress in such an such a fashion to be a 'real' goth.

Ridiculous crap!The minute I feel pressure to follow certain guidelines, I'm outta here!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:31 AM   #48
OnixxFilth

Loy, Loy, Loy...*shakes head sadly* Someone who only dresses goth and doesn't share the philosophy is a skin goth. It is not mere aesthetics, but obviously I can't change your mind. Pity, though.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:59 AM   #49
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged_dreams
What color are you painting your room, Jane? My room's a light blue color I think. I don't mind it because I get a big room to myself.

I wanna do Deep blue walls and deep purple ceiling, closet and trim... and lots of glow-in-the-dark stars ^.^
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #50
OnixxFilth

My room's really funny, as it has light pink, girly walls which are covered with posters of metal and grunge singers. I really need to change some of those posters- I have like five ones of Kurt Cobain/Nirvana and I don't even listen to Nirvana anymore! I think my posters oughta reflect my current tastes, not just what they used to be.