Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
ElderGodOfKadath

Greetings from a newcomer.

Hello there, very nice to meet you all.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I spend the vast majority of my time reading, watching tv or gaming. When I am not busy doing any of that, I am studying for my degree in English.

2. Where are you from?

I am from Limerick, a small city in the west of Ireland.

3. Who is your favorite author?

HP Lovecraft by far! I god-worship that man (if my username didn't already give that away). I have read all his stories multiple times and I have also read all of his available letters, which are quite often just as fascinatingas his stories. Also love Edgar Allan Poe, JRR Tolkien, Clark Ashton Smith and Algernon Blackwood.

4. What are your favorite films?

Star Wars, The Dark Knight Trilogy, and anything by Tim Burton

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

I think weddings are a complete waste of money and a symbol of conformity so I don't intend to have one. I don't see any reason that you can't love someone without emptying your pockets and following boring traditions

6. At your funeral?

That's a much easier question. Probably the Planets suite by Gustav Holst followed a few of the ambient tunes from the Elder Scrolls Games and a grand finale of Mozarts Requiem.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

Gloriously

8. What kind of casket would you want?

A large stone sarcophagus engraved with Norse runes, Demons, Skeletons Daedric letters and nihilistic quotes about how my life was all in vain anyway. I know this is a Gothic forum, but I do hope I'm not taking the metaphorical biscuit

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

Black jeans, black boots, black frock coat, white shirt, dark waistcoat.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Probably the ignorance. When I was a child, my mind wasn't plagued by unsolvable philosophical conundrums.

11. What's your favorite band?

Nightwish and alot of other Gothic/ Symphonic metal bands like Sirenia and Within Temptation. I also like alot of classical music, particularly if it sounds brooding and introsepctive. Holst, Grieg, Mozart and Wagner are my favourite composers.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

Currently in college, my major will be in English.

13. Why did you join?

Talking to yourself gets a little tedious after a while so this seems like a good place to talk to people with similar interests. I don't really have any friends in real life (does World of Warcraft count?) so hopefully I can meet a few here

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

Male.

Thanks for reading
ElderGodOfKadath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
BourbonBoy

Welcome to the boards
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Welcome! Since you are an English Major and are likely well read, and you also like Wagner, I am interested to hear your opinion about Nietzsche, if you have had time to read any of his books. I thought it interesting how Nietzsche first liked Wagner and then dismissed him. Or perhaps it was Wagner who dismissed Nietzsche?

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
Acharis

You have great taste in fiction my friend
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
ElderGodOfKadath

Thank you for all the welcomes!

Despite the fact that Nietzsche is my favourite philosopher, he could also be a hypocritical narcissist, Wagner being one of the prime examples. It's not entirely clear where the animosity started but Wagners increasing belief in Nationalism and Christian doctrines certainly didn't sit well with Nietzsche. I have also read that when Nietzsche discovered he was going blind, Wagner told Nietzsches doctor to advise him to stop masturbating (it was believed that masturbation caused blindness at the time), which deeply offended him. And jealousy at Wagners fame was another thorn in Nietzsches side, no doubt due to the relative anonymity he experienced during his lifetime. But who's to say where it all began? I suppose that's what happens when two great, but egotistical, minds collide.
ElderGodOfKadath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
TheLonelyGhost

Welcome!
TheLonelyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
deathsdj

Welcome ElderGodOfKadath.
deathsdj is offline   Reply With Quote