Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
GoblinQueen

Sisters of Mercy sound like.... who?

Okay, I'm new to this site.
I did a search and already found a thread on Sisters of Mercy, but because it was dead, I didn't want to revive it.
I was listening to Sisters of Mercy (their song "Temple of Love") on youtube.com last night. They were on TOTP, and right at the end, I heard the most amusing description of their music;
"Heavy metal meets David Bowie meets The Circus".
Opinions?
GoblinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
scarlettears17

Sisters of Mercy have a slight resemblence to David Bowie, when he went through his experiemental, deep-voice stage. The main singer for Sisters of Mercy just has a deep voice like that and I can see the similarity. But other than that, the description doesn't really match up with the band.

Sisters of Mercy have a similarity to Bauhaus, Fields of the Nephilim, and Clan of Xymox. They are from the 80s Gothic-Punk era, along with Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Personally, I love Sisters of Mercy. It's one of the best bands that formed gothic music into what it is today.
scarlettears17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
GoblinQueen

I love Sisters of Mercy, too.
And now that you mention, there is a slight resemblance to them and David Bowie.
GoblinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Sinjob

Everything the Sisters of Mercy say they're influenced by sounds nothing like their music, haha. Eldritch, while being the musical genius he is, states he's influenced by hard rock, Cohen, blues and metal but it's clear the early and mid-work sounds much like Joy Division.

I can see echoes lyrically with Cohen and the literary era of modernism, but other than I'd say they're pretty solid.
As for Bowie..Well, maybe in the Berlin/Eno Era. And I guess Kraftwerk falls under there, too. Anything with drum machines, lol.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Draconysius

The early Sisters (Poison Door and all that) sounds pretty Joy Division-esque, but when they found their own sound it was definitely their own. The only thing I can compare them to is bands that would later imitate them.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
BoySinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius View Post
The early Sisters (Poison Door and all that) sounds pretty Joy Division-esque, but when they found their own sound it was definitely their own. The only thing I can compare them to is bands that would later imitate them.
You mean sounds like these: http://www.myspace.com/themerrythoughts Play Boy Sinister :-)
BoySinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Ophelia's Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius View Post
The only thing I can compare them to is bands that would later imitate them.
I have to agree with you.

And as far as Eldritch's claims about his influences, I don't trust a thing he says. My god, he'd lie to his own grandmother just to try to distance himself from the goth label. And what's really amusing is that I think the g-word comes up far more often about SoM than about The Cure, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, or other bands that go back and forth in liking their connection to the subculture. Just goes to show: stop making such a big deal out of something, and people will stop pestering you about it.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
blindNsect

SoM sound so generic.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
vx cheerleader 69

In the early days, SoM were heavily influenced by Hawkwind/Motorhead ans Suicide, read "Some girls wander by mistake" booklet.
vx cheerleader 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Anarasha

Fucks sake thread necro -.-"
I find it ironic to necro a thread which was originally created to refrain from necroing though.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
vx cheerleader 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
Fucks sake thread necro -.-"
I find it ironic to necro a thread which was originally created to refrain from necroing though.
welll actually the last post was from last November... Ok, that's some months ago. When you're new to a board, you tend to search subjects where you might have something to say, sorry for that. Anyway. I think I just replied here because that was an occasion to drop the name Hawkwind on a goth board ha ha
Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Lutia-x

I saw som live last year... I've been a fan for a while, but the show was so disappointing. I could barely hear is voice :c
Lutia-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
vx cheerleader 69

Normally I'll see them at Mera Luna this summer. Well, I'm really not expecting much.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutia-x View Post
I saw som live last year... I've been a fan for a while, but the show was so disappointing. I could barely hear is voice :c
I saw them twice Last year ( was it last year?....well on the last tour anyhow ) , the sound seemed fine to me.

I actually walked straight past Andrew Eldritch at the aftershow clubnight on my way out for a cigarette ( which I had near the really quite shiny guitar player who I couldn't look at due to shyness, he was busy talking anyway ) .

I did wonder at the time why a short bald grumpy looking bloke was having a picture with a couple of girls on the stairs....it hit me later when I'd sobered up >.<
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
Lutia-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I saw them twice Last year ( was it last year?....well on the last tour anyhow ) , the sound seemed fine to me.

I actually walked straight past Andrew Eldritch at the aftershow clubnight on my way out for a cigarette ( which I had near the really quite shiny guitar player who I couldn't look at due to shyness, he was busy talking anyway ) .

I did wonder at the time why a short bald grumpy looking bloke was having a picture with a couple of girls on the stairs....it hit me later when I'd sobered up >.<
Well, i wouldn't of complained if there wasn't so much fog. It could've been the venue, but literally i couldn't hear anything. But I'd go again.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
honeythorn

I saw them in smallish venues both times which may have helped? The place in Amsterdam had a really high ceiling which probbaly did a fair bit to assist I guess. I enjoyed it anyway seeing the great baldy one do his grumpy "thang" on stage
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
Lutia-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I saw them in smallish venues both times which may have helped? The place in Amsterdam had a really high ceiling which probbaly did a fair bit to assist I guess. I enjoyed it anyway seeing the great baldy one do his grumpy "thang" on stage
idk, compared to other live bands I've seen such as 45 grave, tsol, i guess it's different seeing them UP front, maybe you have a preference of the speakers and choking fog?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
Angelic Dissonance

I think they used to look, and sound somewhat like,

.....Michael Jackson. For real. Not a bad thing...... thinking Billy Jean etc.
Of course, not the voice, just the music, but maybe that's just the way they tuned their drum machines....
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
ryzombie

You know who tries to sound like Sisters of Mercy is the 69 Eyes. I dont mind the 69 Eyes but seriously, can you be more obvious about who you are trying to copy?
ryzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #20
nashtheslash

i'd have to say across between David Bowie on acid / Peter Steel....
nashtheslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #21
vx cheerleader 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzombie View Post
You know who tries to sound like Sisters of Mercy is the 69 Eyes. I dont mind the 69 Eyes but seriously, can you be more obvious about who you are trying to copy?
maybe they try to sound like SoM, but then, SoM from he Vision Thing era... Which means they try to sound like the Sisters tring to sound like a crappy heavy-metal band...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #22
CantAffordNoCannon

The Lorries are better.
CantAffordNoCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #23
nashtheslash

well if anyone sound like anyone s.o.m got david bowie's sound...and i wouldn't say type-o-copies them becuz they were a better band then s.o.m...nothnig personal...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #24
CantAffordNoCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtheslash View Post
well if anyone sound like anyone s.o.m got david bowie's sound...and i wouldn't say type-o-copies them becuz they were a better band then s.o.m...nothnig personal...
Whoever said the Sisters were Type O copies has no concept of time.
CantAffordNoCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #25
nashtheslash

sisters of mercy were good when i was groiwing like at up in the 80's at 15 they ain't nothing special now...don't mean to put a disapointment here w/no one...so let it go...i just added my thought when asked who they sounded like...really could care aless...better bands out there...