Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 AM   #276
cultistofvertigo

fgxfnzfgnfhg

I haven't heard of half the bands you're talking about. I suppose that's good news.

On the top of the hate tree for me is Simple Plan, as I have to try really hard not to strangle somebody when I hear them. I don't hear them anymore, so that's good. Always, even though I insist there must be SOME worthwhile music of each style that validates me having looked for it in the first place, I can not for the life of me find out what it is about emo and country. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Also, Evanescence, or however you spell their name. EBM and cyber stuff used to really irk me back in the early aughts when I was way deep into industrial (like boyd rice alarm clock deep), but since then I've learned to appreciate their campiness.

Where my current seething hatred lies is in bands like Florence + the Machine and... the other ones whose names I have thankfully forgotten. See, as irritating as it is for me to see an elaborate goth aesthetic on a music video or something, and then give it a shot only to learn it's about as goth as a sneeze, the same thing has been happening with hauntology.

Granted, "hauntology" doesn't show up as a tag on any of Florence's videos on youtube, but youtube figured out how to get me there anywhichways, and when I see a technicolour super8 looking video in the related section for Telepethe, of course I'm going to click it.

I really hate false impressions. Stick with the actual style or don't bother doing it at all, I say.

p.s. Green Day is emo now. No really, it's true. It shocked me too, but it's the truth.
cultistofvertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #277
Stormtrooper of Death

Green Day isn't emo, Green Day is a sad excuse for life and should be murdered, with an axe, while being covered in feces.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #278
Alan

Oh, that reminds me. G.G. Allin sucks. That's my band I hate.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #279
Quantumbleaper

I agree with the green day thing. I use to listen to them on the radio, but now all there stuff sounds like shit thanks to american idiot. Idiot is fuckin right. and cult, your post hurts my eyes. so pink! and you should probobly be glad you havent heard of any of the bands I was talking about, cause they suck and arent worth shit.
Quantumbleaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #280
Stormtrooper of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Oh, that reminds me. G.G. Allin sucks. That's my band I hate.
He's not all that bad..............
Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #281
cultistofvertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Green Day isn't emo, Green Day is a sad excuse for life and should be murdered, with an axe, while being covered in feces.
So... like an emo band?

Is yellow less irritating, quantum? I'm still going to write in pink though... it's a real man's colour.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #282
Stormtrooper of Death

No emo should refer to "emotional hardcore" a subgenre of hardcore punk that emerged from the DC punk scene in the late 80's. I'm talking Rites of Spring, Dag Nasty, that stuff. These "emo" bands today don't know what real emo is, this stuff is generic garbage.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #283
Quantumbleaper

I like pink. I have a pink LWID shirt. Just very bright I guess. Its still early and I have no caffeine so little shit can sometimes annoy me. : P

anything with core in it past '90 maybe? sucks dick or '95. i dunno. modern hardcore is fucking shit, thats what I'm getting at.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #284
Stormtrooper of Death

I hate the term "hardcore" to describe these bands, hardcore should stay with hardcore punk, and thats it.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #285
Quantumbleaper

true true. al they are is...scremo bullshit? or lets come up with a new genre name. douche metal? or maybe brown bag of shit? i dont know. just stop with the breakdowns after every fucking verse of speed! your not cool cause you can play fast. every string you pluck is another time I'm stomping on your skull.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #286
Haggisn

Eminem, Lady Gaga *chills* and techo songs. I like 2 techo songs (Spitfire, The Concept of Love) but this new crap is just shit.
Haggisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #287
cultistofvertigo

Quote:
No emo should refer to "emotional hardcore" a subgenre of hardcore punk that emerged from the DC punk scene in the late 80's. I'm talking Rites of Spring, Dag Nasty, that stuff. These "emo" bands today don't know what real emo is, this stuff is generic garbage.
There's nothing "hardcore" about emo. Boyd Rice is hardcore, not some whiny teenager that can't sing and cuts himself because he can't get a date to the prom.

But you're right about one thing: I don't know shit about the history of emo. Quite frankly, i'm afraid to find out what combination of mental disorders someone would have to have in order to play that kind of crap. And I usualy care about the historical context of muscial styles and the like.

But okay, if Simple Plan and New Green Day and Evanescence and all that other crap aren't technically emo, what are they? "Forgot how to sing"-rock? Post-"I sure am sad about not having a date to the prom"-wave?

I would like to hear the technical answer, but you should be able to tell by my attitude that the particulars aren't actually THAT important to me.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #288
Needlefeet

Quote:
I hate the term "hardcore" to describe these bands, hardcore should stay with hardcore punk, and thats it.
Fuckin' aye.
Was at a concert yesterday and a band comes up and says "this one's dedicated to all the hardcore kids!".
5 seconds later there is a 20sqm pit filled with douchebags flailing their arms around in every which way listening to some cunt on stage going RAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRWR!!!!!!!
Musical genres get butchered as time goes on though.

Amboss: Did you vote during the last Presidential election?
Daniel: Why, yes! I voted for Andi Sex Gang!
Needlefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #289
Pineapple_Juice

Pineapple hates ABBA with a fiery passion.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #290
Angelic Dissonance

MCR, Fallout Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Cobra Starship, 3oh!3, Hollywood Undead, Tokyo Hotel, Anything from Disney or Nick, i.e. Justin Freakin' Beaver (<-intentional error), Kanye West pretty much, and any rapper/singer with the name "Chris" involved. Also, most Gangsta/Pop vocoder shit. 30 Seconds To Mars. Anyone from American Idol, as well.

OH--and friggin' All-American Rejects.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #291
sibyl vane.

Florence and the Machine, Marina and the Diamonds... they're not retro, they're just pastiche, and it's annoying.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #292
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultistofvertigo View Post
There's nothing "hardcore" about emo. Boyd Rice is hardcore, not some whiny teenager that can't sing and cuts himself because he can't get a date to the prom.

But you're right about one thing: I don't know shit about the history of emo. Quite frankly, i'm afraid to find out what combination of mental disorders someone would have to have in order to play that kind of crap. And I usualy care about the historical context of muscial styles and the like.

But okay, if Simple Plan and New Green Day and Evanescence and all that other crap aren't technically emo, what are they? "Forgot how to sing"-rock? Post-"I sure am sad about not having a date to the prom"-wave?

I would like to hear the technical answer, but you should be able to tell by my attitude that the particulars aren't actually THAT important to me.
I think you call then Scene Rock, I am not sure though.
The actual emo genre has nothing to do with the common misunderstanding that a lot of people(me included) often think they are.
After being severely bitchslapped for calling Evanescense emo, I researched the actual emo genre and found out that how much it may sound like crap, it has nothing to do with whiny teenagers or mental disorders. Neither does "scene rock", that is another big misunderstanding.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #293
Verdog

Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers

Any and all rap groups.

Any and all "rock" groups where it sounds like a teenager, who's balls has yet to drop, is singing in a high pitched voice with the typical "back to school, skater" guitar playing in the background.

Basically I only listen to types of metal.

I don't like any other band in a different genre. (that i've heard)
Well actually there are SOME good SONGS by different bands in different genres, but never the whole band itself.

I don't know, it's like every time i find something I like, it's in the metal genre, so yeah. o_O
Verdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #294
cultistofvertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
The actual emo genre has nothing to do with the common misunderstanding that a lot of people(me included) often think they are.
After being severely bitchslapped for calling Evanescense emo, I researched the actual emo genre and found out that how much it may sound like crap, it has nothing to do with whiny teenagers or mental disorders. Neither does "scene rock", that is another big misunderstanding.
Scene Rock? I've never even heard that before. Huh. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Dissonance up there mentioned 3OH!3. I have a funny story about them.
I was in this Hot Topic (don't laugh) looking for a) new shoes and b) some cool, Geneva Jacuzzi-esque (or at the very least Washed Out-esque) shirts to match with some awesome looking goth/haunter fusion looks I'm trying to rock over here. So I notice that Hot Topic is at least keeping up with the style, if not on the cd rack at least on the shelves, and I find alot of cool shit.
Here's the problem, they all have band names on them. And some are hidden too, like I'll be looking at this bad ass shirt with "80's workout video" lines across it going "oh shit, this mess is the bomb," and then I don't notice until 5 minutes later that it has Cobra Starship written on it.
Now, at the time I had no idea who any of these bands were, but based on my past experiences with Florence + the Dumb and Stupid Idiots, I decided to be better safe than sorry.
Eventually I find a shirt with a pink/blue blind effect, and no band name. I scour the thing for a band name, but can not find one. So I'm safe. No cool shoes though, and my friend Luis can't find and giant pants there, so we go to another Hot Topic in another mall.
While poking around the cd rack in hopes Birthday Massacre, VAC, or Cruxshadows pops up, I see a cd with a name that sounds familiar. 3OH!3. It wasn't until I wore the shirt a few days later that I realized it was written on the shirt I bought, behind the blinds and with colors that make it hard to read.
I was happy it was so damned hard to read, but when since I've seen some of their videos, I'm almost ashamed to wear it in public.

You know what? I could have condensed that story a little. Oh well. And Cobra Starship sucks too.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #295
Stormtrooper of Death

Quote:

I agree with you Anarasha, 100%
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #296
Verdog

Quote:
How can you misunderstand a genre that isn't even properly defined?
I'm sure there are over a thousand different definitions for that genre, so you can't get it wrong, and you can't get it right.

But in all seriousness, don't stress so much over trying to find the right way to label it.

It's kind of like if you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't.
If you wanna give a reason you don't like it, tell that reason instead of just picking a label.
If you want to describe it to a friend, either describe it to them like "they sing about... and sound like..." etc., or tell them to listen to it themselves.

This is just my opinion, and this is just what I personally would do.

You're free to do whatever you wish.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #297
Pineapple_Juice

Blah blah blah, 'labels are for SOUP CANS'.

stfu
Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #298
Verdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Blah blah blah, 'labels are for SOUP CANS'.

stfu
No, I just don't get the point of stressing yourself out trying to understand something that is different to everybody.

It's impossible to do so why not just take it as is, instead of trying to use a label that has so many different definitions and meanings to so many different people?

It just doesn't make sense.

Plus I'm just giving my perspective and my opinion on things.
You don't have to be such a fucking bitch about it.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #299
Pineapple_Juice

An apple is a fruit. If a million people thought an apple was a small purple rodent, and a million others thought an apple was a sort of dance one did with hula hoops, would it change the fact that an apple is a fruit?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #300
Verdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
An apple is a fruit. If a million people thought an apple was a small purple rodent, and a million others thought an apple was a sort of dance one did with hula hoops, would it change the fact that an apple is a fruit?
If 50% of people classified an apple as a fruit, and 50% of people classified an apple as a vegetable, there's no way that you could know how to classify it.