Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #151
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Man, that must have been a good one, because I made that quip like a week ago and it's still with you, although somewhat muddled. I believe the actual insinuation was that you wound yourself too tightly while wringing out unpleasant truths about yourself, and accidentally smashed your sense of humor while hammering the imperfections out of your soul.
Who's lost his sense of humor, now? What I did there is called a call back. It wasn't verbatim, no. It was meant as a joke; a wry joke, but a joke, nonetheless. Ah, well. You can't win 'em all, GM.
Wynneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #152
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynneth
Isn't there anything to be said for the refined charientism?
Sometimes. But you get to know someone better by the things that piss them off than you would if they dress up their anger in a palatable show of benignity. People who never get angry either have severe problems with passive-aggressiveness, or just don't care much about anything.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #153
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaffected Shoelaces
Sometimes. But you get to know someone better by the things that piss them off than you would if they dress up their anger in a palatable show of benignity. People who never get angry either have severe problems with passive-aggressiveness, or just don't care much about anything.
I can see your point. Neither of those apply to me, though. I'm simply someone with anger management issues who's attempting to develop better management techniques over my formerly uncontrollable rage. Make sense?
Old 09-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #154
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Who's lost his sense of humor, now? What I did there is called a call back. It wasn't verbatim, no. It was meant as a joke; a wry joke, but a joke, nonetheless. Ah, well. You can't win 'em all, GM.
Don't worry, I still think my joke is funny.
I have to say, Wynneth, linking to the definitions of the words and terms you use is one of the most condescending practices I've ever witnessed.

Quote:
I can see your point. Neither of those apply to me, though. I'm simply someone with anger management issues who's attempting to develop better management techniques over my formerly uncontrollable rage. Make sense?
Here's something else funny: you've often implied a belief that mordancy and crassness either proceed from, or will eventually engender, some maladjustment in those who display them, while now you've revealed that you-- unfalteringly nice, courteous, and superior-- are actually the one with a problem.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #155
Wynneth

Quote:
Don't worry, I still think my joke is funny.
I have to say, Wynneth, linking to the definitions of the words and terms you use is one of the most condescending practices I've ever witnessed.
Oh, of course you still think your joke is funny. It'd deny your megalomania, were you to do otherwise. Anyway, jerkwad, I include them in case others are unfamiliar with the terms. I like to further myself when I don't know something and I've appreciated it when others link to definitions of things. So, I started doing it a long while ago. If you've got a problem with that, you can lump it.

Quote:
Here's something else funny-- you've often implied a belief that mordancy and crassness either proceed from, or will eventually engender, some maladjustment in those who display them, while now you've revealed that you, unfalteringly nice, courteous, and superior, are actually the one with a problem.
If you'll go back and re-read what I've written since day one, you'll note that I've been the first to admit I have flaws. One of them is anger. I even talked to you about it, specifically, a while ago. But, you can't remember that, because you're too busy memorizing your own cutting remarks to others and storing them away in your Spank Bank.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #156
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Oh, of course you still think your joke is funny. It'd deny your megalomania, were you to do otherwise. Anyway, jerkwad, I include them, in case others are unfamiliar with the terms. I like to further myself when I don't know something and I've appreciated it when others link to definitions of things. So, I started doing it a long while ago. If you've got a problem with that, you can lump it.
This might be my default-setting negativity talking, but, when you do that, I feel as if you're intimating that the people to whom you're speaking are too dumb to understand the words you use without help.
I appreciate that you're behaving like you're somewhat angry with me now, but I think you might be a little rusty with the insults after your long vacation in Smiletown. "Jerkwad"? I don't think I've ever heard that one outside of the Disney Channel. "You can lump it"? Man, you should write for the Disney Channel.

Quote:
If you'll go back and re-read what I've written since day one, you'll note that I've been the first to admit I have flaws. One of them is anger. I even talked to you about it, specifically, a while ago. But, you can't remember that, because you're too busy memorizing your own cutting remarks to others and storing them away in your Spank Bank.
I would try to craft a retort, but the term "Spank Bank" is so funny that you win. Guilty as charged, I was too busy minding my Spank Bank to pay attention to you.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #157
Wynneth

Quote:
This might be my default-setting negativity talking, but, when you do that, I feel as if you're intimating that the people to whom you're speaking are too dumb to understand the words you use without help.
I'd say that you're correct in suggesting your default-setting negativity, yep. Not everyone knows everything about everything. Except you, of course. You must be a demon at Trivial Pursuit and Jeopardy.

Quote:
I appreciate that you're behaving like you're somewhat angry with me now, but I think you might be a little rusty with the insults after your long vacation in Smiletown. "Jerkwad"? I don't think I've ever heard that one outside of the Disney Channel. "You can lump it"? Man, you should write for the Disney Channel.
So, an argument is only as valid as its creative name-calling adjectives? I have to say that "fuckface" and all of the general epithets used in insulting, today, are boring and overdone. Would you prefer it if I started calling you things like "shit-speckled scrotum"?

Quote:
I would try to craft a retort, but the term "Spank Bank" is so funny that you win. Guilty as charged, I was too busy minding my Spank Bank to pay attention to you.
Who isn't busy minding their Spank Bank? Learn to multi-task.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #158
Disaffected Shoelaces

Wynneth, you should give into the rage more often. This conversation is starting to crack me up.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #159
Wynneth

Quote:
Wynneth, you should give into the rage more often. This conversation is starting to crack me up.
Sometimes, it's fun, yes--invigorating and a rush of adrenaline. However, all the negativity gets to be draining, after a while. What I've got to do for myself is find a balance. I think that I may be able to do that easier, now. But, I'm glad you're enjoying the side-effects of my snarkery. (No, snarkery isn't technically a word, but it should be.)
Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #160
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
I'd say that you're correct in suggesting your default-setting negativity, yep. Not everyone knows everything about everything. Except you, of course. You must be a demon at Trivial Pursuit and Jeopardy.
I would be, but my default-setting negativity and megalomania get in the way too often. I end up answering questions with "you don't deserve to live" and "me" when the correct responses are things like "cranberry juice" and "Joseph Stalin".

Quote:
So, an argument is only as valid as its creative name-calling adjectives? I have to say that "fuckface" and all of the general epithets used in insulting, today, are boring and overdone. Would you prefer it if I started calling you things like "shit-spackled scrotum"?
A great improvement over "jerkwad", I'd say.

Quote:
Who isn't busy minding their Spank Bank? Learn to multi-task.
I try, but my Spank Bank is just swallowing my life!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #161
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Sometimes, it's fun, yes. Invigorating and a rush of adrenaline. However, it gets to be draining after a while.
NONONO. Don't give in to the little voice of reason in your head, it's just a throwback from your primary school days, back when the grown-ups were right and the Harvest Festival of cans piled high in the assembly hall could feed the world. LIES.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #162
Wynneth

Quote:
I would be, but my default-setting negativity and megalomania get in the way too often. I end up answering questions with "you don't deserve to live" and "me" when the correct responses are things like "cranberry juice" and "Joseph Stalin".
I can see how that might be a problem. Then again, in a way, two of the answers did sort of correlate. Joseph Stalin didn't deserve to live.

Quote:
A great improvement over "jerkwad", I'd say.
So noted. Remember that you said this. I'd put it in a sig, in some form, but I have yet to unlock that particular prize.

Quote:
I try, but my Spank Bank is just swallowing my life!
Yes, but does it swallow you? There's give and take and, then, there's just give.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #163
Wynneth

Quote:
NONONO. Don't give in to the little voice of reason in your head, it's just a throwback from your primary school days, back when the grown-ups were right and the Harvest Festival of cans piled high in the assembly hall could feed the world. LIES.
In order to have a successful debate/what-you-will with another person, laden with snarkery or otherwise, one must call upon their powers of reason and logic. So, whether or not one over-indulges in their rage tendencies, one who debates well can never fully be rid of reason. It's a knife that cuts both ways--one may use it for making peace or making trouble. Therein lies the difference.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #164
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
In order to have a successful debate/what-you-will with another person, laden with snarkery or otherwise, one must call upon their powers of reason and logic. So, whether or not one over-indulges in their rage tendencies, one who debates well can never fully be rid of reason.
They're not mutually exclusive, however. "Snarkery" (if I must) generally denotes one of two things: passion, or general mean-spiritedness. Again, not mutually exclusive, but both or either make for entertaining reading.

Anyway, if there's one one place where you can indulge pure rage without damaging ramifications, it's the internet. Which is therepeutic in itself - even someone with self-confessed anger management issues can't argue with that.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #165
Wynneth

Quote:
They're not mutually exclusive, however. "Snarkery" (if I must) generally denotes one of two things: passion, or general mean-spiritedness. Again, not mutually exclusive, but both or either make for entertaining reading.
True, true. Snarkery, at its best, is when it's said in jest.

Quote:
Anyway, if there's one one place where you can indulge pure rage without damaging ramifications, it's the internet. Which is therepeutic in itself - even someone with self-confessed anger management issues can't argue with that.
Well, that depends. There was once a time in my life where all I did was troll for reasons to upbraid someone. I was very angry about a lot of things. I guess, during those years, I sort of got a lot of it out of my system. I still enjoy it, though. Too much. Which is why I try to curb my usual tendencies and find another path. It's not healthy to do it all the time--especially if you're seriously angry. If it's teasing or ribbing, that's one thing. Real anger is another.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #166
MegearaErotica

Damn it, you guys are back to analyzing. Oh well.
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #167
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
I wasn't aware it was our duty to entertain you.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #168
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
This was my thought as well. :/ I wanna talk about Satanic teenagers and how unfair Russia is towards Goths, dammit! XD

Quote:
I'm simply someone with anger management issues who's attempting to develop better management techniques over my formerly uncontrollable rage.
Yeah...I never felt the internet was the best place to figure that out. :/ Me personally, I've found that Paxil works wonders. [I -really- didn't want to take a pill, but I just couldn't take not being in control of my own emotions any more. ^_^;;;;]
Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #169
Despanan

Quote:
Oh, of course you still think your joke is funny. It'd deny your megalomania
As would getting rid of his Giant Death Ray (C) and Weather Machine (C).

Seriously Gothicus, stop threatening the UN. They're not going to let you back into Death Mountain.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote