Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
raggedyanne

Blood Diamond - Hollywood & World Events

In the past couple years Hollywood has started making movies that directors say "hope to bring attention and aid to crisis situations". Do you think it will have any affect? Will it do more harm than good? Or is it just some overpaid anorexics trying to show they aren't as shallow as you think? I personally admire Anjelina Jolie and Sir Elton John for their charity work, but doubt the whole Bono thing.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
Nevan

*apology in advance for writing nonsense - my head is splitting in two and I'm kind of just passing time till my doctor's appointment*

I think of it as bit of a paradox here - One the one hand, if Hollywood is sincerely trying to 'bring attention and aid to crisis...' as they say by making these movies, to what or whose avail? Where do the proceeds for these mega-million dollar movies go?

I don't really follow entertainment industry news (mainly because I feel it's all so... superficial), so pardon me if I'm in the dark with this, but I don't know of instances where a Hollywood film company donated any profits made from a real-life tragedy film to alleviate the very situation which they spur others on to support? PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's more of a 'feeding of the emotions' of people - it's a winning recipe - take something that has really happened - been on international news, is bound to stir emotions and brand it with a celeb's face. Yeah. After you've seen the movie you may be angry, cry a bit, think a bit - then what? Someone on the other side of the film reel is already on his way to the bank to cash in.

(Oh - just had to say this - regarding Blood Diamond - I thought it was a good movie, but Leonardo's 'South African accent' just didn't cut it.)

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
raggedyanne

Your right about the hypocracy. And I too love the movie, but my South African friends thought his accent sucked.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #4
CptSternn

At least its a step in the right direction.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
raggedyanne

True. If people are pointed in the direction of reliable charities that are helping people who need it, than a bit of publicity is a good thing.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
MaguMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevan
Yeah. After you've seen the movie you may be angry, cry a bit, think a bit - then what? Someone on the other side of the film reel is already on his way to the bank to cash in.
Exactly. S'why I don't really support the preachy overtones of otherwise good movies like, "Blood Diamond." While it is nice that they bring it to the attention of the average Joe that this went on, movie producers are essentially doing the same thing these diamond firms were; capitalizing off of the conflict.

Don't even get me started on the interviews with the cast about how this is such a grave problem, people will do anything for money, and it's nice that it's being brought to light. The follow-up question to those responses should have been, "And how much did you get paid for this movie and the promotion of it?"
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
d.Nox

I don't buy it, for two reasons:

(1) No major Hollywood movie has ever caused the kind of social change needed for these causes to succeed. If the producers et al. really cared about injustices in the world, they'd skip making movies and go directly to the source of the problem.

(2) The kind of problem that gets Hollywood attention are always the photogenic ones, with oppressed people being sensationally abused. This, to me, says that Hollywood is more interested in playing peoples' emotions for a buck than changing the world.

If you want to get the word out, it doesn't take a slick, star-studded production to do it. Look at "An Inconvenient Truth." It's gotten more attention for its cause than any tear-jerking blockbuster, and it was made on a shoestring.
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote