Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Miss Absynthe

Social Networking Type Thingies

Do you use Twitter, Facebook or some other social networking site?

What do you think of them? Why do you use them?

Who do you follow? Friends? Family? Famous types?
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Miss Absynthe

I use Facebook with a personal account, I also have a group that I admin for the Queer Collective at my Uni. I have a page for my blog writing as well.

I enjoy using it because it lets me keep in touch with people who I've met at conferences but who live in other states (I do a lot of queer activism) and to keep an idea of what is going on around the country.

I did have some of my relatives linked on my Facebook account, but had to ban them for making anti-queer comments about things that my friends would post.

I also have a Twitter account with which I follow friends who are in a Babygirl group with me - it allows us to keep tabs on each other during the day and to encourage and inspire each other. I also follow a couple of comedians, writers and musicians.

I love the way that my friends tweets can help with my mood during the day.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Versus

Spacebook. I made it with intention of following bands for me as an advance warning if they are playing in my area.Though I mostly use it to stalk Saya and occasionally talk to a few friends from home.

It turns out that I'm not very social.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Saya

Facebook, for stalking Versus (he's pretty lame though, not much to stalk), keeping in touch with friends who moved or are too busy now, and of course for networking, I keep in touch with the people I volunteer with (since our listserv crashed we've been using a Facebook closed group.), and with other activists I've met, like women I met at the Rebelles gathering and Occupy Newfoundland relies pretty heavily on Facebook to organize. Other organizations I have a crush on like our school's LGBT group, I follow along with their events.

I have a Twitter account but already I feel like I follow too many people who don't really have many interesting things to say and its hard to keep up. Not many people I know use it.

I also love Tumblr hardcore.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Sin-thetic

Facebook for staying in contact with high school friends. Myspace for my music. and Vampirefreaks just for fun.
Sin-thetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
carakitty

Do you use Twitter, Facebook or some other social networking site?
I am a regular on FB. Have a twitter account but I don't tweet regularly any more.

What do you think of them? Why do you use them?
I used to really like FB but with all the changes they're making lately I'm starting to get annoyed and turned off. I do like being able to see what my old friends are up to. I was never really fond of twitter because it was hard to keep track of replies.

Who do you follow? Friends? Family? Famous types?
I have friends and family in my news feed. I have friended businesses, bands, etc but have them hidden in my feed and just check up on them if there's something I need to know about them.

I wish more people from here would friend me
Old 10-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I also love Tumblr hardcore.
Ooh.. I forgot Tumblr, I always forget Tumblr. I also heart it, but I keep forgetting to check it. I love the FuckYeah pages... just the titles make me giggle.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
wolf moon

I have found that I am generally not great at social networking sites. I don't follow/"friend" casual acquaintances or people I used to work with or that dude I once did shots with at that party that one time - just people I am genuinely interested in. Which apparently makes me antisocial.

I quit FaceBook. I have twitter, but I write more @ replies than I do actual tweets. I also use way more exclamation points on twitter than I do anywhere else. Maybe because I have fewer characters in which I can convey my excitement about things?
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Grausamkeit

I do forums. That's it.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
I have found that I am generally not great at social networking sites. I don't follow/"friend" casual acquaintances or people I used to work with or that dude I once did shots with at that party that one time - just people I am genuinely interested in. Which apparently makes me antisocial.

I quit FaceBook. I have twitter, but I write more @ replies than I do actual tweets. I also use way more exclamation points on twitter than I do anywhere else. Maybe because I have fewer characters in which I can convey my excitement about things?
People tell me that I'm anti-social as well because I only have 60-ish Facebook contacts... I also don't like adding people for the sake of just adding them. The people I have as contacts are people who I know and love and want in my life.

I find Twitter interesting because of the way it forces you to be succinct with what you are saying. I use that like a bit of a game.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
Solumina

I use facebook, mostly just to keep in touch with some friends who work very different hours than I do, especially trying to figure out when we actually have the same days off and can see each other once in a blue moon.

Also for attention whoring when my self esteem is lacking.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
MissCheyenne

I have a facebook and I come here. Oh, I did sign up for google+ just to see what it was about but it's empty so I never go on it. I don't get out much so I use facebook to keep up to date with what's going on with my friends.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #13
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
People tell me that I'm anti-social as well because I only have 60-ish Facebook contacts... I also don't like adding people for the sake of just adding them. The people I have as contacts are people who I know and love and want in my life.
I would go through periodically and delete anyone I didn't recognize or wasn't interested in. It was never a huge number of people, but they'd get upset and demand an explanation for why I didn't want to be internet besties anymore. I just found the whole process silly - the internet isn't real life.

Ha! Google+ is so boring I forgot I have it. I do. I was an early adopter, but have still only posted 3 times. I go extended periods of time without remembering it's a thing.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #14
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
I would go through periodically and delete anyone I didn't recognize or wasn't interested in. It was never a huge number of people, but they'd get upset and demand an explanation for why I didn't want to be internet besties anymore. I just found the whole process silly - the internet isn't real life.
Me too. I think I have less then 20 contacts on facebook.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
I do forums. That's it.
Lies. I clearly remember you having a Myspace page, and being on it.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
Corpsey

I also just posted on your Myspace page JUST to prove a point, good madam. >=)

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
Grausamkeit

Why are you calling me 'sir'?

As if you don't even know me....

*sniff*

You are on my emospace page, cuz you're special.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
Beowulf

I have a Myspace page and thats it, and I check it every now and then !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #19
Corpsey

Currently preparing myself for jolly ol' Deutschland. Over there manners are quite explicitly shown through your use of pronouns + verb form. Somehow this practice is starting to slip into my use of English. I've been using sir/madam quite a lot lately for no obvious reason other than this...

Which reminds me; do you have a grasp of German or have you just pulled up that word for your title for giggles & the like?

Your on my Myspazz page because of old special times. ^_^ I believe I haven't used that webpage for over a year or so.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
Currently preparing myself for jolly ol' Deutschland. Over there manners are quite explicitly shown through your use of pronouns + verb form. Somehow this practice is starting to slip into my use of English. I've been using sir/madam quite a lot lately for no obvious reason other than this...

Which reminds me; do you have a grasp of German or have you just pulled up that word for your title for giggles & the like?

Your on my Myspazz page because of old special times. ^_^ I believe I haven't used that webpage for over a year or so.

It's mostly because I listen to some German bands(Lacrimosa, Sopor Aeternus, Rammstein, Das Ich, Xmal Deutschland...etc). I more than likely couldn't speak it worth a shit IRL because Germans talk fast. I can imagine the hilarity that would ensue...."What was that sentence after 'ich'...hm....could you slow that down a bit more, please?? One more time..." And so on...

I nicked my current username from Tanz Der Grausamkeit(dance of cruelty) ~ Sopor Aeternus. Ich Tote Mich is a great album.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #21
Corpsey

Ha, I remember when I was younger I used to listen to Lacrimosa like there was no tomorrow. Same with Ramnstein, although I can't listen to them anymore....The lyrics are painful once you know what they are saying.

It's not just that they speak it fast, it is that they have various dialects. I have no idea which dialect to expect when I go over there, so I hope it's one without too many nuances.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #22
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
Ha, I remember when I was younger I used to listen to Lacrimosa like there was no tomorrow. Same with Ramnstein, although I can't listen to them anymore....The lyrics are painful once you know what they are saying.

It's not just that they speak it fast, it is that they have various dialects. I have no idea which dialect to expect when I go over there, so I hope it's one without too many nuances.
Do you mean 'painful' in a 'I can't believe I listened to that crap' way or 'the subject of those lyrics are painful to think about'?

For me it's the latter. I like to know what lyrics mean before I can say "Yeah, I like this band/song."

Old 11-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
Morpheus13

I find its better just not to know. Then when someone tells me, I get to make a fake surprised face and then tell them I don't particularly care.
Morpheus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #24
Miss Absynthe

Isn't not bothering about what the lyrics say in a song akin to reading a book because you think the pages are a pretty colour?
Old 11-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #25
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Isn't not bothering about what the lyrics say in a song akin to reading a book because you think the pages are a pretty colour?
Yep. How can you enjoy something like music if you don't understand it?