Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Is black lipstick over the top
yes it is OTT 97 35.53%
No it looks fabulous 176 64.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2004, 02:29 AM   #1
RetroGoth_queen

Black lipstick

What do you think; Is black lipstick too much?
Old 01-08-2004, 04:07 AM   #2
Raeven

Well, it looks good on me.

Does anyone know where to get any decent stuff though?

Probably a stupid question to ask on here... Unless anyone else here lives on the northeast coast of Australia...
Raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:02 AM   #3
Perfectly_Flawed

I think it can look great on other people, but it doesn't look particularly good on me. My skin's just a little too olive for it.

Yeah yeah, "olive" and "tan" are cursed words in gothville. :twisted:
Perfectly_Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
Manimal

Keep it on the girls only please...
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
KoniginDerSpork

I've always cringed when I see people wearing black lipstick. It always just looked tacky to me.
KoniginDerSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:39 AM   #6
Asurai

I've never much cared for it. It just doesn't seem tasteful to me.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:31 PM   #7
Metis

Wearing black lipstick is like an art form that few have perfected. When abused, it can be really easy to look really tacky and like you are trying way too hard to be 'hardcore'. Personally, I think it looks really good on people with fair skin and dark hair (neither of which I am blessed with, nothing that black dye and a few months of no sun can't fix) if it is slightly tinted with red. A common mistake people make with it is putting it on straight from the tube which makes it look smudgy and too thick, pretty much because it is. If you are going to wear black lipstick, have the decency to apply it with a lip brush, for all of our sakes.
Metis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #8
WolfMoon

lipstick

I have to agree with Metis,

Few people can actually pull off black lippie.And I've seen it on far too many who can't.

I,myself prefer to just wear a very dark red or purple which gives a more vampiric look when applied with precision.Leave the black to the baby-bats,puhleeze!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:23 AM   #9
Daz

the look of black lipstick, but I agree with you guys, it has to be done right. personally i wont wear it on its own. I like putting it on first and then aplying a dark red over it. gives a great effect.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:42 PM   #10
Monsosin

Gerr? Ahh? Who cares?

:twisted: Well I must agree with wolfmoon, because vampires are the best. Saddly I wear black lip stick once and a while but useualy I stick with my traid mark lines on lip. If you saw me you would know.

The demons in my head tell me to kill
Monsosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:59 PM   #11
Fallen_Faerie

There's only a few colors of lipstick I'll wear, black being one of them. Also enjoy light blue and various purples... but anyways... About the only problem I have with it, is that it's hard to find decent black lipstick, not the cheap costume stuff. I usually pick mine up at Hot Topic... Although, surprisingly enough, I found some at Wal-Mart last Halloween in the make up aisle. Along with some other interesting things... Like black lipgloss...that one threw me for a complete loop...That's the only time I think I've ever seen it...
Fallen_Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:32 PM   #12
iana

:shock:

i am absolutely SHOCKED that there was that much of a majority FOR black lipstick.. :shock:

...hold on.. it needs to sink in a little bit...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

im not completely opposed to the idea of black lipstick or anything... but still.. it only looks good on RARE occaisions, and even then, its got to be absolutely necessary for the outfit in order for one to look like ANYTHING other than a kid that dressed up goth on halloween and spent less than $5 on makeup.

really.

its generally pretty tacky.
at least dark red/purple/blue are way more... credible... :? :roll:
iana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #13
iana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metis
Wearing black lipstick is like an art form that few have perfected.

indeeeeeed! a Dark Art form....

er... no pun intended... i mean it in the sense that toying with it can cause damage of unimaginable proportions.
:?
iana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #14
Auriane

I personally love black lipstick. I've had to practice a lot before I could apply it without looking like a kid who discovered mommy's make-up though.
Sadly, since six months, I have to take medication which completely dehydrate me and if I so much as try to wear lipgloss my lips burn like hell. Nothing but a hydrating ointment saves me. It gives my lips a faint white shine which I also like a lot, so I've already bought myself white lipstick for when I can stop with the medication.
Auriane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #15
blueblood1900

Black lipstick..... If you're not absolutely positive that you can pull it off, please don't. :? Granted, it looks good on a few, but it looks incredibly tacky on so many more.
blueblood1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:58 PM   #16
khabtih

A light pinky-lavendar looks much better with dark eye make-up, and works with most skin types.
khabtih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:31 AM   #17
Maimy

The smart ass in me is so tempted to go do black lipstick EXQUISITELY well and post pictures. Not because I care for black lipstick particularly, but because it's supposed to be so difficult.

Of course, I am the sort of wench likely to go out and buy teal eyeliner and use it as lipstick just because you're not supposed to ...
Old 02-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #18
Phantasm

Though I am pale with dark (brown) hair, I don't like the way it looks on me. I agree with those that say that it takes a lot of skill to do it right. Many people make the mistake of using black lipcolor and coating their eyes with dark make-up at once. That looks unbalanced and overdone.

Also, it's hard to find a good brand. This is one of those times when it's good to spend a little extra on make-up. Doing so can be a good way to treat yourself, too.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:47 AM   #19
RagdollSmile

I voted that it's over the top.

It doesn't look good on anyone, I think. Not in real life. Maybe in a photo, but photos can be altered ala lighting, hue, etc. That makes a giant difference. Now, I voted for true black. Not a deep deep red, purple, etc. Those are fine, and can look very beautiful, in my opinion. And, hell, even the whole 'black around the edges fading into another color further into the middle of the lip' thing works- when blended well. I'm not talking about that stark line of black liner with a red or somethin in the middle, though. Blend it, please. Please..? :cry: I'll give you a cookie...?

I dunno. Ultimately, it really doesn't even matter. If they like it, and it makes their socks all warm and toasty just thinking about it- then let them wear it. No skin off my back. But, I will admit.. I've often found that it looks horrid on people, and they're usually oblivious to it anyway. Ah well. *shrug* I say tomato, you say cucumber, etc...
RagdollSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:57 AM   #20
Asurai

I originally voted 'no,' but I've recently seen someone to change my mind on that. It didn't look over-the-top or tacky at all on her; her wearing black lipstick actually looked very good. I suppose that a few people cna pull it off well.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:11 PM   #21
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maimy
Of course, I am the sort of wench likely to go out and buy teal eyeliner and use it as lipstick just because you're not supposed to ...
Maimy,I am officially stealing this idea from you.Duh,why didn't i think of it before?I've been searching for a cost effective purple.(you know,one that's not twelve bucks but looks fabulous.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #22
Daz

you arent supposed to put eyeliner on your lips... shit if only i'd known :twisted:

actually ive become quite fond of putting a black line around my lips and then filling it in (as well as going over the black line) with deep red clour.
i never really learned how to properly use make up (mom used to tell me i was allergic) so i didnt know there were rules as to what can go where :twisted:
Old 02-21-2004, 04:55 PM   #23
WolfMoon

f

Some of us get desperate when they don't make shades of lippie we like.I like your idea too,Daz.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:26 AM   #24
Maimy

Wolfie, if you look VEEERRY carefully at the pic of me in the purple PVC dress in the photo thread, you can see that my lips are a very glossy true blue. You know Sunkist's orange soda cans, orange and metallic vivid blue? That blue. I used eyeliner and then a very dark purple lipgloss to get that.

Naturistics makes a metallic blue nail gloss (they call it gloss rather than polish, and it's accruate for sure) I had on my fingers and toesies, too. I like it.

One of these days, I'll get around to the black lip thing. I'll post a picture. Unfortunately, right now, I haven't even got a dime to go out and play, so there's little reason for dress-ups. *Sigh*
Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 AM   #25
AyA

I think it's all over rated.
Black is over used and u have to put it on oh so perfect to make it look good.
My scool has a uniform and on the causal day, one girl dressed all in black and put black lipstick on...she looked ffff*** awful.
So...leave the black
AyA is offline   Reply With Quote