Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 03-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
Drake Dun

Incest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6424937.stm

Sooner or later this question is going to come up in the States, too. I checked out the case law, and the pieces are more or less in place for a ruling that incest is protected by the Constitution.

Man, I am looking forward to this debate.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Vyvian Blackthorne

Wow. Imagine what they've got to endure from scientists, religious leaders, locals, so many things unsurprisingly go against incest. I don't know what to say-there's the classic "forbidden love" viewpoints on almost everyone's mind. I don't know where I stand, it's tough to sound independent in such a debate-it's either too consverative or too liberal
Vyvian Blackthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
ArtificialOne

Wasn't a story on the "outsiders" on tv last week about incest?

Where will any of this end......?

I'm getting tired of hearing about all this stuff in the news. I'm burned out. Lets get some more animal cloning controversies started. lol

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
Vyvian Blackthorne

Your robot jokes never get old
Old 03-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
ArtificialOne

Well, I do try....lol
Where would I be today without my fans... I mean I ain't going to pull no Britney Spears...roflmao

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-08-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
Vyvian Blackthorne

http://www.anime-bliss.com/smf/index...=profile;u=176
Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 AM   #7

A tool that is both a spoon and a fork s called a spork. Would a person who is both your father and your uncle be your funcle?

I feel sorry for the kids. I think it's ok for them to live together, but not to have children. Not only is there a high risk of genetic problems, but there is also a high risk of having to endure a lot of shit from their peers as they are growing up. If the parents were thinking about their kids they wouldn't have any.
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:09 AM   #8
Drake Dun

Although the evidence is there for a higher risk of genetic problems, I have never seen any evidence for an actually "high" risk - and certainly not in the case of only one generation of incestuous reproduction. The few times I have run into any statistics at all, the difference is on the order of a percent or two. Would you also support a law making it illegal for people with disabilities, or known alelles for hereditary diseases to have children? How about women who are past their early to mid-thirties? Many of those people present higher risks than do sibling pairs.

As for the argument about the kids having to endure a lot of shit... that is the exact reasoning used in the past by such illustrious organizations as the APA to classify homosexuality as a disease and by others to call for laws against homosexual sex.

Drake
Old 03-08-2007, 04:33 AM   #9
Valerius

Blech! I can't comment on this, but the thought of having incestouos sex with my sister is disgusting!

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
Vako

Re: incest

Always nice to find an activity that the whole family can get involved in. :-P

It's an old joke, I know, but I just couldn't resist.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #11
republigoth

As icky as incest is, the only justification you could use to ban it is the same justification that could be used to ban whatever freaky thing -you're- into. That's just not a risk I'm willing to take.

You don't have to eat everything at the buffet to enjoy the fact that there's a buffet to choose from.
republigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
ArtificialOne

I think this goes back to the whole thing, Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should....

Now excuse me, I have a poptart to devour...

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
republigoth

And what is the poptart a symbol of in the 'food buffet is sex' metaphor?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
ArtificialOne

Yes, the poptart is going to have gratuitous and dirty sex with my mouth, and then go straight into my stomach...lol

Hm... you said buffet...Now I'm hungry again!!!! (for food)

And then I will pleasure myself like many single people around the country...

Eat lots of chocolate and watch tv..lol

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
republigoth

OMG, hello every single saterday night. Star Trek and corn flakes.

Players get diseases though. At least that's how I console myself.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #16
ArtificialOne

I usually console myself in the privacy of my own bedroom...lol.... thank ibm for laptops.....

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #17
republigoth

My stupid power jack on my stupid laptop is stupidly broken, So I can't charge it. It seriously cramps my style in that department. Stupid computer. Why can't it just heal itself.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #18
ArtificialOne

Be patient, I'm working on that.

And expect a call within an hour k?

hehehe Mwuahahahahahhhahahhaaaa.. Crap I forgot where my voice synth is....

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
Although the evidence is there for a higher risk of genetic problems, I have never seen any evidence for an actually "high" risk - and certainly not in the case of only one generation of incestuous reproduction. The few times I have run into any statistics at all, the difference is on the order of a percent or two. Would you also support a law making it illegal for people with disabilities, or known alelles for hereditary diseases to have children? How about women who are past their early to mid-thirties? Many of those people present higher risks than do sibling pairs.

As for the argument about the kids having to endure a lot of shit... that is the exact reasoning used in the past by such illustrious organizations as the APA to classify homosexuality as a disease and by others to call for laws against homosexual sex.

Drake
As far is the law is concerned, it doesn't bother me whether there is a law for or against incest. I don't know anyone who likes fiddling their siblings.

As for the homosexual thing you brought up, as far as I know, people are born homosexual, there is no choice. However, even if siblings are in love and in a relationship, they have a choice as to if they have children or not.
If I ever have children, I would want to be fairly sure that that child would be able to have a good life. In order to be sure of that, I need (amongst other things):
1) a fairly good income
2) a stable relationship
3) a partner outside my family circle

If my child turns out to be disabled and I have followed steps 1, 2 and 3; well so be it, I would feel like I had done everything I could have done to give my child a good start. But, if two of my four children were disabled (like in the article you cited) and even if I was legally married to my sister, I would feel as if I had not done the best for those children.
I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it.
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #20
republigoth

Genetic mutations really aren't as big a threat as they used to be. There's always pre-implantation in vitro screening. Make it in a tube, if it's a mutant, don't implant it.

Doesn't make incest any less icky though.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #21
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 655322
As far is the law is concerned, it doesn't bother me whether there is a law for or against incest... If I ever have children, I would want to be fairly sure that that child would be able to have a good life... I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it.
Fair enough. To tell you the truth, I was kind of hoping that somebody would come out of the gate swinging for defending our precious god-given morals or something like that so that I could have a nice raging debate.

Drake
Old 03-10-2007, 06:12 AM   #22
LoveAtFirstFright

The thought of incest to me is quite disgusting. Having said that, I can't really say I would support a law banning it. It's not really my business who has sex with who. If it's between two consenting adults I can't say "hey that's gross don't do that!"

Still quite a creepy thought though.
LoveAtFirstFright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #23
Drake Dun

Okay, well if I can't make the issue itself controversial, let me take it out in other directions and see where that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
...so many things unsurprisingly go against incest...
[note - I might be misunderstanding this one, so if so, strike it]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius
Blech! I can't comment on this, but the thought of having incestouos sex with my sister is disgusting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republigoth
As icky as incest is...
Here we have a nice spread of quotes indicating general disgust at the idea of incest. Now I'll add my own honest feelings.

1) Incest is totally fucking gross.

So far, so good. Nobody is jumping on my case. Let me do you one better, though.

2) Gay sex between two men is totally fucking gross.

All of a sudden I am an evil, close-minded, gay-bashing jerk, right? Does that discrepancy strike anyone as interesting?

Drake
Old 03-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #24
Valerius

As far as I'm concerned I don't really want to see any game of sausage fencing or man-gina penetration. I find it appalling, but I'm just stating an opinion, much in the same way you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
2) Gay sex between two men is totally fucking gross.
And, as far as the laws governing this country goes, freedom of speech has so far not yet been outlawed.

Seriously, something MUST be wrong with the news clip about two blood related people having babies. I find it disgusting that they have sex, but appaling that they'll have babies. I may be disgusted with it, but I'm more like 'fine, have sex - so long as you don't make any trouble'.

I have a theory that it is somewhere in our genes that makes us feel disgusted over incest. I mean, never in my whole upbringing did my mom ever tell me to 'not have babies with your sister' and it came naturally to me that this lady I grew up with was someone I shouldn't be having sex with.

Ugh, this whole talk is making me sick in the gut.

Either way, in my opinion, sex between two consenting adults is fine with me - even if they're siblings. But once you bring in a third party in the form of a child between your scandalous relationship then it just changes everything. Just my opinion.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #25
Crying_Crimson_Tears

To me incest is disgusting, but I think that everyone is entitled to their own feelings and they are entitled to love whom ever they want. I do not think they're should be a law against it, just because you can't stop love. Banning incest or gay marriages won't change anyone and they're still going to love whom they love and still do what they want to do, throwing them in jail for it won't help. Because they will still go on with their feelings as long as they can.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote