Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
ArtificialOne

High speed train.

Just curious if anyones heard of that high speed train thats been researched in CA for the last near decade. I've always been in favor and will vote and support any bill that comes up for one. I think it could be powered by the new Nuclear power plants and such.

And before anyone bashes nuclear. Look at the new ways that uranium can be used to produce energy. Such as combining it with another element and then bombarding it with a high intensity laser beam. This starts the reaction and keeps it going as long as the beam is on. Once the beam is off so is the reaction. Cooling is easier and radiation is a quarter of what it is now. I'm having trouble finding out what mag I found that in, but it'd be the way to go to cut down on air traffic and cars. (I think I saw it in New Scientist an aus mag). But here's another article maybe you can research?

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../300/5622/1107

I just think it would be neat to live in an area like central cali and go to portland in several hours cheaper than by plane.. and I love trains compared to planes... Just a cutomer serice thing

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Vako

I heard about that on a radio show. There is also an idea to build a high-speed train from the Los Angeles area to Las Vegas.

On the nuclear power issue, I too have always been fascinated with it. Research is being conducted to find a way to transmutate spent feul rods so that they will no longer be radio-active. It uses some sort of particle beam from a particle accelerator. There is also the pebble reactor. It's process supposedly would result in far less radio-active waste from the spent uranium or plutonium.

I've always been fascinated by technology and science, also.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
Drake Dun

Our trains are faster than your trains. Neener neener neener.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
ArtificialOne

Well.. There is supposed to have been a high speed train built to commute from like boston to dc and all the major cities in between... I think they had some problems though...

I do know that there are many well researched somewhat cleaner nuclear reactor designs. I think another negative for nuclear is the bad 3mile and Chernybol incidents, but those were 30yrs ago. Also the reactor designs are much different now.

I've also heard about the spent fuel recycling done with a partical beam. The problem is no one really wants to fund it becuase if you're a poli associating your name with it willbe suicide. I mean Nuclear is literaly another N word you can't say.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
republigoth

It's so funny there's a thread on this, I was just thinking about nuclear power. I watched something the other day that was likening the skepticism over nuclear power to electricity when that was being developed. I think it also has a lot to do with the destructive power of nuclear energy being developed before the creative power. If the only phrase you know the word from is "nuclear bomb," is predictable that the skittish human race would catch on slowly.

I have such sympathy for poor Einstein. How horrible it would be for a devoted theoretical physist to have to see his idea applied only towards massive destruction, and die before it's benefit was proven.

It's a phenomenal power, and some people fear the potential evil more than they hope for the good. It's just stupid to me that everyone is crying and whining over the 'dependence on foreign energy' problem when there is this technology available. Right, try to squish it out of an ear of corn rather than harness the power of the universe its self. Genius.

If I were going to go into physics, the applications of nuclear energy is definatly where I'd want to be.
republigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Vako

And also there are the peaceful medical uses for radioactive material, particle beams, reactors, etc.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Drake Dun

Plus fifty foot tall spiders.

Drake
Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
With fifty foot tall Goths.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
republigoth

How about one the size of a large pony, so I could ride it.

I wonder how much it would cost to have a spider saddle made.

I would name her Charlotte. Charlotte the giant mutant spider.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
ArtificialOne

hehe! I saw a movie as a kid about giant mutant spiders!!!

The bad thing about nulcear was that it was the cart before the horse syndrome. All the bad stuff happened before the tech really caught up. now we have so many people freaking out about radiation and nukes.

If I had a giant mutant spider I'd name it MegaDeath...lmao

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
republigoth

We could make Charlotte and Megadeath race. But you should be aware Charlotte might eat Megadeath, if she's about to lays eggs.

I'm envisioning a whole farm of giant spiders getting rein broken, playing fetch... We really need to step it up on that nuclear engery thing.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
ArtificialOne

OYG! That sounds like so much fun.

And here I was just thinking of terrorizing villagers.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #13

Nuclear power? Pffft. Everyone knows Maglev is the way of the future for high speed trains.
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
ArtificialOne

Hate to rain on your parade... well actually not. lol

What do you think is going to power you maglev? It doesn't run on mice, unless the mice are fed into an incinerator and burned for electricity...lmao

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #15
Drake Dun

I think we all got the impression that you were talking about trains with nuclear reactors ON them. Hence the raised eyebrows. Of course a mag-lev train requires electricity from somewhere.

Drake
Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #16
ArtificialOne

My bad.....lol

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
Hate to rain on your parade... well actually not. lol

What do you think is going to power you maglev? It doesn't run on mice, unless the mice are fed into an incinerator and burned for electricity...lmao
Nah, my bad. I didn't really think too much before posting that.
But I think wind power would do the trick. That or solar power. Or ferrets, mice are too small.
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #18
republigoth

How about everyone who says "nukular" running on treadmills instead of mice? That counts and nuclear technology and would power lots of trains.

And be amusing.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
ArtificialOne

I love it when politicians say funny things.

btw, The helmet it all hand painted and designed by moi...lol.. waiting for dinner still : (

Did you look up winchester house? It's friggin awesome... Stange things poeple do when they ahve lots of money.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #20
republigoth

As I recall, Pres. Bush didn't actually mutilate that one. At least in the last state of the union I watched. I was so proud.

I'm still looking for this clip of him stumbling and backing up and stumbling again over this sentance like 6 times, then looking up at the camera and saying jokingly "He has some trouble with the english."

Poor ol' George. At least he laughs at it too. Naturally I saw it on the Daily Show since I've seen every single episode.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:21 PM   #21
ArtificialOne

I used to watch a great show in aus called "Chasers war on everything"

It's Hillarious. Especially when the guy makes fun of the song to Dr Who.
I'm not a fan of Dr who, but I don't not like it...

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/chaser/war/

You can watch back episodes too.. it's kinda cool aussie stuff...

P.T. Barnum

Vist me: