Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #351
raggedyanne

Lolz. I just believe that you cannot find your truth when you are following someone elses.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #352
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
Exactly. That is Auriel's problem. She just needs to calm down and read up on legal right's vs. religious acceptance
No I really don't, I've stated my perspective on that.
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #353
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
I am sorry, but the ultimate truth is something that no religion can give you. The ultimate truth is found in an absence of all opinion, of all bigotry and hate, and it cannot be found when you limit yourself by the teachings of an ancient book of scary stories to explain what the first people did not know. I do not say that I know the ultimate truth but I do know what will prevent you from ever finding it if it is what you are truly searching for.
Did you ignore the rest of what I said in that post? I don't know why people can't get through their head that my beliefs are largely based on Christianity- but not totally.
Largely- not totally.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #354
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Lolz. I just believe that you cannot find your truth when you are following someone elses.
What makes you think I haven't found it? Or part of it...it's not as simple as you're implying.
I don't follow someone else's. Again, you are neglecting the other things I said.

If you want to believe something about me that isn't true, go right ahead. But don't twist what I've said to mean something entirely different.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #355
raggedyanne

I don't wish to believe something about you that isn't true and those last two posts were not about you at all. It was my opinion on finding my truth. The process is different for each person, but it is my opinion that it requires and absence of religiousness, and you state that you are religious. It does not matter what you believe, because each belief system, no matter how patchworked, has limitations to what it will accept and to what its followers are willing to believe. I am saying that to find "the truth" you must put all those limitations aside and look at yourself as a person, not a disciple (from the latin discipula, discipulae, meaning student or learner) of a set belief system.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #356
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I am sorry, but the ultimate truth is something that no religion can give you. The ultimate truth is found in an absence of all opinion, of all bigotry and hate, and it cannot be found when you limit yourself by the teachings of an ancient book of scary stories to explain what the first people did not know. I do not say that I know the ultimate truth but I do know what will prevent you from ever finding it if it is what you are truly searching for.
You're really not in a position to be telling anyone what "ultimate truth" is.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #357
raggedyanne

what I've been attempting to say is that is my OPINION, but people seem to overlook that
Old 11-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #358
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
what I've been attempting to say is that is my OPINION, but people seem to overlook that
Just as... Auriel?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #359
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
I don't wish to believe something about you that isn't true and those last two posts were not about you at all. It was my opinion on finding my truth. The process is different for each person, but it is my opinion that it requires and absence of religiousness, and you state that you are religious. It does not matter what you believe, because each belief system, no matter how patchworked, has limitations to what it will accept and to what its followers are willing to believe. I am saying that to find "the truth" you must put all those limitations aside and look at yourself as a person, not a disciple (from the latin discipula, discipulae, meaning student or learner) of a set belief system.
I understand now. I misunderstood you and thought it was directed at me because you quoted me.

I don't completely disagree with your opinion on it. The first thing you have to do in order to find that Truth is to reject all preconceived notions of what it is and seek it out without those notions. Which I did about 14 years ago. I'm sorry if I miscommunicated but I consider myself more spiritual than religious. Most of what little Truth I have learned, I have learned because of my upbringing and what I have seen in my lifetime. Certain texts have good principles that one should follow to maintain a good life and good relationship with The Creator or God or Allah (whatever you want to call It) and within the community. It's also important to remember a concept that many religions teach- "A wise man knows that he knows nothing." No matter how much we think we know, there is always some more of that Truth to be revealed. Maybe in this lifetime, maybe the next, and maybe we'll never figure it out. It's important to try though, right?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #360
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Auriel~~
I understand now. I misunderstood you and thought it was directed at me because you quoted me.

I don't completely disagree with your opinion on it. The first thing you have to do in order to find that Truth is to reject all preconceived notions of what it is and seek it out without those notions. Which I did about 14 years ago. I'm sorry if I miscommunicated but I consider myself more spiritual than religious. Most of what little Truth I have learned, I have learned because of my upbringing and what I have seen in my lifetime. Certain texts have good principles that one should follow to maintain a good life and good relationship with The Creator or God or Allah (whatever you want to call It) and within the community. It's also important to remember a concept that many religions teach- "A wise man knows that he knows nothing." No matter how much we think we know, there is always some more of that Truth to be revealed. Maybe in this lifetime, maybe the next, and maybe we'll never figure it out. It's important to try though, right?
You truly baffle me. Why not practice what you preach? Again, if you threw away all preconceived notions of what it is, how can you say God hates homosexuality? Thats a preconceived notion set forth by The Bible. Why be so clingy to arbitrary beliefs? Why cling to dualistic thinking?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #361
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Just as... Auriel?
Wow. You just made me want to turn emo and run my car off a cliff. I think I'll just lurk for a while.

Lolz, thanks for pointing that out.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #362
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Actually this one IS directed at me.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #363
raggedyanne

You as a group of people. YOU need to stop expecting people to attack you and viewing everything people post as an attack. We (as in everyone in this thread) are have a discussion. So what we (as in everyone posting on this thread) say is mostly directed at the group as a whole and not at one single person.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #364
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
You as a group of people. YOU need to stop expecting people to attack you and viewing everything people post as an attack. We (as in everyone in this thread) are have a discussion. So what we (as in everyone posting on this thread) say is mostly directed at the group as a whole and not at one single person.
Have you read through a lot of this thread? Were it not for this forum being rampant with people who get their jollies flaming others-particularly me when it comes to this discussion- I wouldn't have thought that.
I would like to apologize to you. I am sorry that I just assumed that you were doing the same. No hard feelings I hope.