Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
AshleyO

HAH! HA HA! HAHAHAHA! This is THE BEST video I've seen yet on this issue in games!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9UM...ature=youtu.be

Dismissive and ignorant boys can shut their dumb gobs now. The discussion is over.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
FlorenceFearne

^THIS. So much this.

Just watched the video, and was pleasantly surprised to hear such a thoughtful, articulate explanation of what women who game (or even know about gaming) deal with. Being smart, capable, brave, and strong is apparently all worth absolutely nothing if you don't have a 16 inch waist and tits that defy gravity? BS.

Thanks for posting! This made my day.
FlorenceFearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Saya

I was actually kinda wary of watching it, Corpsey shared a Jimquisition video on my facebook and it was pretty much just tone policing people upset about misogyny in games, but this one was better.

You know the funny thing about the point about Remember Me is the main protagonist is supposed to be a black woman, and I can name only one other game for sure with a black woman protagonist (an Assassin's Creed game on the PSP? Possibly Jade from Beyond Good And Evil. Storm is a playable character in various X-Men games but I don't think ever a lead) and in some of the concept art she looks radically different from what she looks like now, like now she has way lighter skin, narrow nose, basically making her like a white woman dipped in tea as Yahtzee once referred to the design of the sidekick in RE5.

And you know its leaving money on the table, they just don't want to do it. When you write women as sex objects, of course its going to be a bad game when you don't even see women as full humans. They look embarassing enough that a lot of women don't want to play it (on a comics rant I know a lot of women who don't want to read Wonder Woman because she looks ridiculous, and I really had to get past her costume too when I first started reading). Its not that people won't buy shit just because its a female lead. Marvel NOW's X-Men #1 is an all woman team led by Storm and it apparently was the best selling comic in May. It wasn't even released until the last week of May! That's amazing. Women characters can do it and be appealing to most people and not cater exclusively to white male boners ages 18-34.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
AshleyO

Aye. I've just finished Mirror's Edge this weekend and have fallen completely in love with that game and its main character, Faith.

If none of you have played it, you need to get on it quick. Faith is a complete badass and what's more, she's not hyper sexualized. She's just an athletic East Asian female who knows how to parkour the shit out of a dangerous city.

The sequel/reboot is coming out now... eventually. I am just happy as hell about that because that game deserves more attention.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Acharis

I'll come back later to watch and read, for now I'm leaving a post so I can find the thread again easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PJ0JPLg_-8
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
jjdunlop

[quote=AshleyO;757145]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9UM...ature=youtu.be

hahahaha......funny
jjdunlop is offline   Reply With Quote