Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Louisiana

Well after several months of job hunting, my father's search has paid off. Thing is, the job offer is in Louisiana..... I'm not really sure what to think of this, I never really imagined the possibility of my family moving to Louisiana. My family has always lived in the Northern states, always had snow for winter.

We have no ties to Louisiana whatsoever, other than when my grandfather went to University there. At least if we were to move to Florida we would have strong family ties there.

We would be completely separated from my father's side of the family, which is almost entirely based in south eastern Wisconsin. Except for my father's identical twin who lives in Michigan, and is rather a polar opposite of my father in many ways:
1.my father had two sons, my uncle(my father's twin) had two daughters
2. my father is a republican, my uncle is a democrat
3. my father went military, my uncle went civilian
4. my father went west originally (to Washington where I was born) my uncle went east
5.my father stays clean shaven, my uncle has a mustache
6. you wouldn't know this if you didn't live with one or the other but my father's voice is stronger and clearer, my uncle's voice is lighter and raspier

I've always thought of it as sort of a Scooby Doo state.

Then of course there is the accents, I don't know how well I would be able to handle hearing it all the time.

I'm really not sure what I'll do myself, go with them, stay in Wisconsin, or move to Florida. We haven't moved between states since before I can remember.

Of course he has 10 days to accept the job offer, and if he receives a better (or at least decent) offer in Wisconsin we would likely stay.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Grausamkeit

If you move you might run into exciting opportunities that you otherwise wouldn't have had up in Wisconsin. Plus, snow is overrated. Come down and bake in the Death Heat.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Saya

Where in Louisiana?

Actually, if I got to visit anywhere in the states, I'd go to New Orleans. And I fricken love Cajun accents, might have been due to a childhood crush on Gambit.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Where in Louisiana?

Actually, if I got to visit anywhere in the states, I'd go to New Orleans. And I fricken love Cajun accents, might have been due to a childhood crush on Gambit.
It's in the Lafayette area which is apparently two hours west of New Orleans, Cajun country apparently.
I must admit I gambit was my favorite x-man as well, who needs to shoot lasers out of their eyes to blow things up, when you can merely touch anything and make it blow up.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Saya

Not so bad! Lafayette looks bigger than St. John's, but not huge.

You know Cajuns descend from French Acadians who were kicked out of Canada? For being French. Cue Spock's "Fascinating."

It does suck moving away from family, I was born in Ontario but we moved here when I was young, and we hardly see our family anymore. Mom's family was here but most of them moved away, so we got a few cousins and an uncle. But it makes family get togethers extra special. Plus when I graduate I plan to move, and maybe being somewhere on the mainland will make it easier to visit.

I'd go, although I've betrayed myself as someone who wants to visit there anyway. It'd be an adventure! And Tekajo is from there! Tek is awesome.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Grausamkeit

Teka-jo is in LA, last I heard.

As close as TX is to LA I've never heard anyone with a Cajun accent.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Saya

Oh I meant Louisiana, not Lafayette. Isn't he in Baton Rouge?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Ben Lahnger

His Facebook page says he's still in Zwolle, which is closer to Shreveport.

Renatus, I don't know how you'll fare with the Cajuns ... I always had trouble understanding them, and I haven't liked the food overmuch. But Louisiana is a hotbed of great live music. So you've got that to look forward to, plus you have a manageable drive to New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
Renatus

I just made a horrible realization. THEY HAVE NO BASEMENTS THERE! They don't even have room underground for their dead. I'd sooner die than get buried above ground.

On the bright side I recently on a random unrelated but coincidentally helpful whim created an ice pack in a straw. It's cold enough to cool one down, yet not so cold that it becomes unbearable to maintain contact directly with the skin. Unfortunately it warms up quickly. Back to the drawing board.

There is however one personal cooling unit out there on the market that interests me. If only it weren't so expensive.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Ben Lahnger

Yeah, when I first got here I asked about the lack of basements. Turns out that digging a basement in this part of the world is just asking for it to get flooded. But the dead do get buried underground. I don't know where you got that piece of information, but it's wrong. There are tons of regular old cemeteries all over the place.

Oh, and for personal cooling units, my sister sent me a couple of corn pillows for the holidays. Put 'em in the freezer for a bit, then place them (in their washable pillow cases) on the part of your body you want to cool off. They are cheap, effective and durable, and hold the cold for an extended period of time.

There's some technique they use to make the pillows where they put the corn for a while in a low heat oven to bake the moisture out of them. And once that's done, they seem to last a long time even after being heated or cooled over and over again.

I like to put the pair I have in the microwave on high for 4 minutes, then use them to heat any aches I have. The heat lasts 45 minutes to an hour, and I find them better to use than an electric heating pad.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Grausamkeit

Wait, what? Of course we bury our dead! We use up a shit ton of prime real estate to do it, too. Hell, if the Zombie-pocalypse actually hit we'd be screwed because of how near we are to one particularly large cemetery. That is....if the zombies could claw their way out of the vaults that coffins are buried in. Hmmmm, maybe that's why it hasn't happened, yet?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Renatus

I'm not referring to Texas but New Orlean's famous above ground cemeteries.
http://askville.amazon.com/people-bu...uestId=4515923

Old 06-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Renatus

First thing I'm going to do is since the house we move into will hopefully have two stories, I'm going to build a hill around the first floor of the house, effectively turning it into a basement.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Ben Lahnger

But that makes it too easy for the zombies to get in!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
But that makes it too easy for the zombies to get in!
Meh I'll reinforce the basement. Zombies can climb, they can't however dig, or cut through metal. Digging out of graves doesn't count btw.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Saya

You should play Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Father if you haven't yet, it'll endear the accent to you XD
Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #17
CptSternn

...or Left 4 Dead 2
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #18
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
...or Left 4 Dead 2
Lol I've been thinking the same thing:P

Old 06-24-2011, 03:52 AM   #19
Versus

I lived in Lafayette for a little bit when I was playing musical chairs across the country after moving out of the house. It's pretty cool.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 AM   #20
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I lived in Lafayette for a little bit when I was playing musical chairs across the country after moving out of the house. It's pretty cool.
Care to elaborate?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #21
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Lol I've been thinking the same thing:P
But Gabriel Knight is voiced by Tim motherfucking Curry!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #22
Versus

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
Not really. The context of my stay there was very different and wouldn't apply to you, so take it how you want.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #23
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
But Gabriel Knight is voiced by Tim motherfucking Curry!
Yep I'll try it, but I'm merely mentioning LFD2 because I've actually heard of it and played it before.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #24
CptSternn

Quote:
Yep I'll try it, but I'm merely mentioning LFD2 because I've actually heard of it and played it before.
You should so move into a swamp mansion.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #25
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
You should so move into a swamp mansion.
Humidity and mosquitoes are not my friends. Not to mention I hear swamp mansions have crappy internet connections.