Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
AgiosOSatanas

Dragonball: Evolution

Im a 90s kid.And almost every 90s boy has watched Dragonball Z or Dragonball. A couple years ago I heard that they were going to be making a live action movie out of it so i was excited.A few days ago my best friend told me that he saw the trailer on youtube. So I tried looking for it on there but I kept getting fakes so I went to the actual site to see the trailer. I watched it and I was like "Ok it looks cool but the story sounds a little...ehh". So I went to the Cast section to look at all the characters and stuff. And my first reaction when I read just Gokus plot in the movie was What.The.Fuck.
How the hell is Goku an 18 year old kid going to school being rejected by everyone anywhere related to DragonBall.And didnt his grandpa die when he was like 4? Fuck they cant even get the right number dragonball he gives him right. So I read on and theres so much bullshit thats wrong in there it just pisses me off how movies can ruin such a great series like DB. Hell they dont even have Krillin in there!

Heres the link to the site.
http://dbthemovie.com/
AgiosOSatanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Necrotansy

xD I hope it will suck.
Necrotansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Tam Li Hua

Oh for the love of...why do people always expect movies to be EXACTLY THE SAME as whatever show or old movie they saw as a kid/young person??

My husband and I are looking forward to it, but only because the director has a reputation for making -really- good movies!

But seriously, if you want to watch the anime, then go watch the anime, and don't expect the live-action movie to be anything similar; just enjoy it for what it is. Pretend like it's an alternate universe if you have to. XD

Besides all that, it's friggin' DRAGONBALL Z!!! It wasn't that spectacular to begin with..
Old 12-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Haunted House

I like Dragon Ball Z, but some things are just ment to stay animated.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Genocide

Seriously the fans of dragonball are COMPLETE and utter IDIOTS.

It is an ADAPTATION, if it stuck straight to the source material it would suck. You are too much of an idiot to notice that it seems. THINK about it. You have a talking pig, a 16 year old (ish?) girl, a stupid little kid with a tail and a perverted freaky bald man. The movie would have to be a kids movie to tell you the truth, Dragonball was more of a kids thing compared to dragonball Z. How do you think the average parent would feel after seeing a perverted man tell a little girl to show him her vagina for a dragonball? The average person would see all the talking random animals and the transforming animal people and just think a serious WTF. It would not do well at all, and it would be bombed by critics for not making any sense. Generally Manga from back then had very convoluted plots that aren't acceptable by today's standards.

The change is necessary! Krillin was dead during the saga this movie is based off of so it doesn't matter but he could become part of the next movie. Grandpa Gohan is necessary to give Goku some emotional push, something that gives him reason to do what he does. Grandpa Gohan's death by the hands of Lord Piccolo, and his last words to find the dragonballs before Piccolo are what push him to do what he does.

With all of that Goku's on screen character can grow. He deals with horrible assholes at school (something we at one point have been through , by varying degrees) and his grandfather is killed. He stays strong and follows his grandfathers wish, meeting new people, and making friends so that in the end the dragonballs can be collected and piccolo defeated. Goku in the end still will make have to make the choice to spare Piccolo. It's not in Goku to kill unless absolutely necessary.. everyone deserves at least one chance in his eyes.

And just to note from the trailer, ONE SINGLE dragonball does not give anyone power. James Marsters' line doesn't mean that it means Piccolo has either gotten his first or last dragonball, and he is starting his destructive path to world domination. The dragonballs were not created by 7 human mystics. The dragonballs were created by Kami (ancient piccolo before his entrapment) and 6 human mystics, you can see in the trailer there are not 7.
Genocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
Despanan

Well, I just watched the trailer...

Yeah, it's gonna suck. It's gonna suck even harder than the original dragonball, and that's quite an achievement if you think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
KontanKarite

God damn... maybe some good fights, but... ugh. I dunno. It's like they missed the mark by a hair and are going to suck.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Saya

Yeah its going to blow. I know adaptations would have to be made, but its unrecognizable now.

Goku as a whiny high school student.......I hope in the sequel they'll have Vegeta as the school bully.

Vegeta, what was your SAT score?

ITS OVER NINE THOUUUUSAAAAAND!

....How is that possible?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
Genocide

The high school shit is 10 minutes max.

Goku isn't whiny, what's said in the trailer isn't in any sort of context.

Also note his grandfather got killed by a fucking alien O.o
Old 12-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #10
Saya

Is Chi Chi going to be the highschool cheerleader?

I thought this was hilarious though:

http://dbthemovie.com/2008/03/29/jam...rs-on-piccolo/

Yeah dad, you're gonna suck.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #11
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I didn't like Dragonball Z and I don't understand why so many people do, that said, i don't really plan to watch this movie and if I do it'll hardly matter to me.

Heh, I thought the badly adapted live action movies of The Guyver were pretty funky.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #12
Genocide

Chi-Chi sucks.. I really hate her generally.

Besides that Piccolo has been re-imagined quite well.

http://dbthemovie.com/wp-content/upl..._bts_001sm.jpg

That is not a scene from the movie, just a great picture
Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
I didn't like Dragonball Z and I don't understand why so many people do, that said, i don't really plan to watch this movie and if I do it'll hardly matter to me.

Heh, I thought the badly adapted live action movies of The Guyver were pretty funky.
But....its Dragonball, not Dragonball Z.......I really can't remember the series that well, and I'm pretty sure if I watched it now it won't be as sweet and charming and the wonderful adventure I remember it to be. Could never get into Dragonball Z.

Honestly I'm happy that it looks like its going to blow, because they are also remaking Blood: The Last Vampire and I know thats going to suck donkey balls, so if they're both bad maybe everyone will learn a lesson about making movies based on anime.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
Fae-wolf

I hate it when they try to make anime into live action movies.....
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
Genocide

It's dragonball with dragonball z style. The story is deeper and better than the original, the characters have more meaning and backstory.. cept maybe Yamcha.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
But....its Dragonball, not Dragonball Z.......I really can't remember the series that well, and I'm pretty sure if I watched it now it won't be as sweet and charming and the wonderful adventure I remember it to be. Could never get into Dragonball Z.

Honestly I'm happy that it looks like its going to blow, because they are also remaking Blood: The Last Vampire and I know thats going to suck donkey balls, so if they're both bad maybe everyone will learn a lesson about making movies based on anime.
Well I suppose Dragonball was nice but you know they're going to take the Dragonball adventure or pieces of it at least and inject with the Dragonball Z fight style and that is what I hated most about DBZ, not the lackluster excuse of a plot, not the boring 2D characters but the fight scenes.

People still go on about how awesome the fights were in DBZ and in reality they were pathetic and boring just a whole bunch of yelling, shooting energy blasts and little blur meant to be kicks and punches while the characters zoomed everywhere.

Now Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 episode 21 (Close to the Edge), now that had a fight worth remembering, hopefully I've got the right episode.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #17
Metabolik

Man Dragonball Z was da BOMB yo!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
KontanKarite

Dragon Ball had WAY better fights in it.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
Maxim_Macabre

The Fail Boat has set sail.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
KontanKarite

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/me...ailforfail.jpg

Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #21
exacerbatedpoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Yeah its going to blow. I know adaptations would have to be made, but its unrecognizable now.

Goku as a whiny high school student.......I hope in the sequel they'll have Vegeta as the school bully.

Vegeta, what was your SAT score?

ITS OVER NINE THOUUUUSAAAAAND!

....How is that possible?
That's soo funny considering that's exactly how he would say it. Anyway, I also was like WTF when I found out the details on the movie. First of all, Dragonball is no where as close to being as awesome as DBZ plot wise. The fights are up to debate. Dragonball should have stayed animated. I definitely feel that this is going to be a fail and that sucks because this is how some people will remember DB.
exacerbatedpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #22
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by exacerbatedpoet
That's soo funny considering that's exactly how he would say it. Anyway, I also was like WTF when I found out the details on the movie. First of all, Dragonball is no where as close to being as awesome as DBZ plot wise. The fights are up to debate. Dragonball should have stayed animated. I definitely feel that this is going to be a fail and that sucks because this is how some people will remember DB.
Wait.. DBZ had a better plot than Dragonball?

You're one hell of a dumb shit.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #23
maromi12d3

i cant wait to see this failure of a movie. It will be fun.
maromi12d3 is offline   Reply With Quote