Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Jaye Jang

Wink CowGoths, CowPunks and CowBikers

Okay, so I'm out at the State Fair today and I'm checking out these really cool Percheron horses, which are solid black and almost as big as a Clydesdale (the tallest one looked to be about eight feet from hoof to head). That's when I found out they have CowGoths, CowPunks and CowBikers here. They have rival ranches, and I was thinking, wow. The CowBikers wear leathers and spikes and have their biker chicks, Harley's and outfit their horses accordingly. The CowPunks on a rival ranch do pretty much the same, except the horses had DeathHawks, which I was thinking was cool enough.

Then the CowGoths showed up, with their purple hair, death hawks and black, spiked chaps, and their horses decked out in a sort of Medieval/Western tack with spikes, leathers and black and purple velvet, and I was awestruck. (I think their ranch is called Tanglewood Ranch, or something like that, and they raise what's called a Bayrab [a hybrid Bay/black Arabian] which is a cool-enough looking horse in its own right). Anyway, the concept of ranch Goths in black 'roach killers' --cowboy boots -- (we call them 'pointed-toed s*** kickers' here), and medieval-style black leather chaps and tack, was just too intriguing -- so I thought I would share it with you folks.

Hopefully, they have a website.

Have an awesome evening.

Last edited by Jaye Jang; 08-28-2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Correcting typos
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
honeythorn

As someone with life long love of horseriding this makes me immensely happy. Sadly owning a horse is hideously expensive here, and I am too hevay to take lessons again as most riding schools have weight limits which I exceed by many stones. And I've always wanted a Friesian which I cannot ever ever afford :_(.

Those Bayrabs sound beautiful too. What does intruige me is that you mention BLACK Percherons!!!! I have never seen a black one as they are traditionally Grey.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
MissCheyenne

When I saw the title of this thread I thought you meant actual cows. I was a little disappointed that it didn't turn out to be that way.
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang View Post
Okay, so I'm out at the State Fair today and I'm checking out these really cool Percheron horses, which are solid black and almost as big as a Clydesdale (the tallest one looked to be about eight feet from hoof to head).
My parents live in the Perche (where the Percheron horses come from!) - gorgeous part of France, lovely horses. I'm not sure there are rival subcultural horse gangs around there though!
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
gothicusmaximus

If I were a horse, I'd Christopher Reeve the shit out of anyone who gave me a deathhawk.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Ophelia's Snorkel

GIS search for "cowgoth" was tragically disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
If I were a horse, I'd Christopher Reeve the shit out of anyone who gave me a deathhawk.
I'm going to hell for laughing at that.
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Red Menace

Quote:
I think that would be what is known as a "mane".
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I think that would be what is known as a "mane".
No. Most horses' manes are composed of hairs like those you see here. I'm assuming that the 'Cowgoths' Jaye Jang described apply copious product thereto, in order to ensure their animal isn't mistaken for a 'mundane' and bounced from Batcave night.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
Jaye Jang

Honeythorn, et al,

Howdy. (Traditional Western greeting, short for "How d'you do?").

Okay, below is a link to the State Fair. Sorry about the pic, but it was the best I could get. It's titled "Thunder Rides In" and it is a pic of the black Percheron draft horses.

MissCheyenne, sorry if I misled/disappointed you. However, the only cows I saw exhibited there were the traditional Herefords, etc. However, we did bring in a group from Texas with the traditional Texas Longhorns, which are AMAZING. (I have seen cows 'up close and personal', and they are HUGE animals, but they had one black (Goth?) Texas Longhorn there that was at least 7 feet long from nose tip to tail end, EIGHT feet high and had longhorns that were 6 FEET LONG from tip to tip)). That was one HUGE animal, and very formidable. I DON'T think you'd want to try and dress that puppy up).

http://www.idahofair.com/
Old 08-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Jaye Jang

Dear Folks,

Sorry about the double-post. I just wanted to see if this pulls in and it does. So, Honeythorn, here are your black Percherons, complete with smiling Texan riding them. (I trialed this and you can copy the pic). That's my B-day present to you, in case I missed it)). Oh, and Bayrabs are beautiful. You know how black Arabians are solid black with a blue 'sheen'. Bayrabs are solid black with a roan (red/brown) 'sheen.' (Oh, and you could always come here, ya know. Morgan horses are bred for large-boned ladies-- and you don't have to have formal lessons to ride one. As they say here, BTDTSIA - ('been there, done that, seen it already')).

http://www.idahofair.com/grounds_acts.php

Ophie, that is you isn't it? If so, Hi, Ophie, how are ya? BTW. Googling CowGoth won't work. I had to invent the CowGoth thing. (Sorry, I was wracking my miniscule brains trying to figger' out what you would call a Goth cowpoke -- or a biker or punk cowpoke for that matter). That was the best I could concoct. Capice?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
Ophelia's Snorkel

I don't know if I'm the Ophie you're looking for or not : ) I'm Ophelia's Snorkel in a lot of different places, though, so if we already know each other, "Hi!" and if we don't, "Hi, anway!"

Those are lovely horses. State fairs can be great fun - I don't know why I ever stopped going. Congrats on coining "cowgoth" - I must admit, I at least half-expected a picture of McCoy when I googled it. Did you take any pictures of the people and their animals?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Jaye Jang

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia's Snorkel View Post
I don't know if I'm the Ophie you're looking for or not : ) I'm Ophelia's Snorkel in a lot of different places, though, so if we already know each other, "Hi!" and if we don't, "Hi, anway!"

Those are lovely horses. State fairs can be great fun - I don't know why I ever stopped going. Congrats on coining "cowgoth" - I must admit, I at least half-expected a picture of McCoy when I googled it. Did you take any pictures of the people and their animals?
Dear OS, Actually I was thinking Underwater Ophelia, but that IS a different person. However, Hi yourelf back. (And if you're still out there, Hi, Ophie). No, actually I did not take any pics, and I really wish I had. (Don't know why I didn't think of it). I would have especially loved to have had a pic of those CowGoths and the horses -- and even that impressive Texas Longhorn would have been cool. And 'beat me with a stick' Honeythorn, I actually went over to the stalls and 'visited' with the Percherons, and I COULD have 'snapped' a pic. Sorry. (I should carry a camera anyway. I was out at the Celtic Festival last year and came across some Celtic Goths, and if you can imagine Goths decked out in full tartan regalia, and Celtic linens, THAT also would have made a cool pic). Which kind of makes me wonder if we also have Basque Goths here (since my home state does have one of the largest Basque populations in the country. Basque Goths in traditional Basque dress WOULD make a cool pic). Hmmm!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
Ophelia's Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang View Post
Which kind of makes me wonder if we also have Basque Goths here (since my home state does have one of the largest Basque populations in the country. Basque Goths in traditional Basque dress WOULD make a cool pic). Hmmm!!!
I'll bet you do. Like I said in another thread, goths are eeeverywhere : O
Old 08-30-2009, 04:40 AM   #14
Red Menace

Quote:
No. Most horses' manes are composed of hairs like those you see here. I'm assuming that the 'Cowgoths' Jaye Jang described apply copious product thereto, in order to ensure their animal isn't mistaken for a 'mundane' and bounced from Batcave night.
Yuck. Product on horse. Still, at least they wouldn't need a cut first!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #15
honeythorn

*makes grabby hands at horses* I WANT ONNNNNNNE!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #16
Solumina

Me too!!!!!!!

I miss being around horses, I wish one of the stables around here was hiring, I'm an excellent stable hand and I would have a rather well respected trainer as a reference, but horses are pricey and so they aren't really hiring in this economy.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
korinna5555

Pfft.. one of my horses has a 'hawk, without product. Kinda like
http://www.shutterpoint.com/photos/C...se%20_view.jpg
but he's a black and white paint, and his mane is scruffier.

Jaye, Morgan horses were not originally bred for large-boned women, and I have no clue where you got that. I have NEVER heard of a Bayrab, but I have heard of a Morab.. might that be what you're talking about? The whole "hybrid bay/black" thing doesn't fly either. I'm confused.. please clarify?
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
Jaye, Morgan horses were not originally bred for large-boned women, and I have no clue where you got that.
Well they were bread to be work horses and many people think workhorse=able to carry heavy people, so I can see where it came from, despite the fact that it isn't correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
I have NEVER heard of a Bayrab, but I have heard of a Morab.. might that be what you're talking about? The whole "hybrid bay/black" thing doesn't fly either. I'm confused.. please clarify?
I was kind of thinking the same thing but figured that they just knew better than I did as I am far from a breeding expert.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 08-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
honeythorn

I wondered also at the Morgans, they aren't really that big a breed, not much more than a pony really. That's why I want a Friesian. They were originally bred to carry knights into battle so I know one of those buggers can carry me. Plus they are so so beautiful. Or perhaps an Arab/Friesian Cross *sigh* I WISH hahaha. Maybe when I win the lottery a few times ? ;-P
Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
Miss Ambient Cloud-Waters

Jaye Jang, I thought that roaning is any dark color hair base mix with white hairs, also this Arab that is all black with a blue "sheen" are you talking about the blue roan color? And this "Bayrab" it sounds to me like a strawberry roan colored horse.

I am also confused about this "bay/black hybird" thing... I mean there just colors or am I missing something? Plus if a horse was this "bay/black hybrid" (from a color perspective) wouldn't you need to know the genotype to say what the color truly is?

Sorry I have been obsessed with horse color after I failed my test on it in Equine Science class >.<
Miss Ambient Cloud-Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #21
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ambient Cloud-Waters View Post
Jaye Jang, I thought that roaning is any dark color hair base mix with white hairs, also this Arab that is all black with a blue "sheen" are you talking about the blue roan color?
I wouldn't think that it would be a roan, as roans wouldn't look black with a blue sheen, I think she is talking about a black horse, most black horses have a reddish sheen but I have seen blue.

Quote:
And this "Bayrab" it sounds to me like a strawberry roan colored horse.
To me the bayrab sounds like this:
It is not a different breed but a specific coloration that has more black coloration than a typical bay
-Carbon Leaf
Old 08-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #22
Miss Ambient Cloud-Waters

Thank you Solumina for clearing things up a bit.

So then its just a combination of colors and different factors (facters meaning: overlay, masking, dilution et al) to get something that looks different?

And this possible picture of a "bayrab," to me it just looks like a sooty bay horse.
Miss Ambient Cloud-Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #23
Solumina

Quote:
So then its just a combination of colors and different factors (facters meaning: overlay, masking, dilution et al) to get something that looks different?
Yeppers

Quote:
And this possible picture of a "bayrab," to me it just looks like a sooty bay horse.
Yeah that was what I was thinking, I'm pretty sure that this "bayrab" is just a new name for something that has been given to them by people who don't 100% know what they are talking about.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 08-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #24
Jaye Jang

Dear folks,

Cant yak long. Have to go back to work. Sorry about the confusion. The Morgans I am used to are a work horse, but ridable. Since I am partially large-boned (from the waist down) and small-boned (from the waist up -- Yowtch, guess I'M a hybrid) I have ridden Morgans before. The main reason I mentioned them is that they are bred as work horses, but they can be ridden and are VERY GENTLE horses. So if you have not had a lot of riding training, Honeythorn, they would be a good place to start.

As to the Bayrabs that is not an official name, just what they were calling the horses at the exhibit hall for want of a better name, but it is a good name for them.

I have included the links below for Trestlewood Ranch, which raises what would be called a Bayrab:

http://twsarabians.com/PaybackTyphoon.html

And what I actually saw at the fair, which could conceivably be called an ArabBay for want of a better name:

http://twsarabians.com/

Both are types of Arabians and are gorgeous.

BTW, folks, thanks for setting me straight. I am NOT a rancher, just a medical typist, but I have had the good fortune to be able to live on, work at and rent from ranchers (I once rented the bunk house at Dry Creek Ranch in Eagle, Idaho, which unfortuntely is up for land grab now by greedy developers. Hope that doesn't happen as it was a major beautiful ranch, but I'm not holding my breath on that one).

Anyway, got to go. Hope these pull in.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #25
Solumina

So they are just Arabs with a bay coloration?
-Carbon Leaf