Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #126
Catch

Video game tester, sounds like the best ever. Usually it if for people working part-time or students, but getting paid to play video games all the time sounds like the best job in the world.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #127
kikrox

id say maybe manager of a hot topic or spencers or some other goth apparel store. or like others say, bite the bullet and lose the look?
kikrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #128
crucifix

Just keep some of your elements at work. I am a beauty advisor at walgreens (HATE it, but it is a job...the only one I could find.) and my manager lets me wear mostly black, conservatively spike my hair (if that makes sense) and wear whatever jewelry I want and paint my nails black (I am a dude). As long as I don't come to work in a spiked collar and eyeliner and fishnets, I am cool with him. I don't need to goth it up for work anyway, I mean, it is just fricking work.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #129
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikrox
id say maybe manager of a hot topic or spencers or some other goth apparel store. or like others say, bite the bullet and lose the look?
I love spencers
Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #130
crucifix

also, you don't have to be all gothed out all of the time. I mean, it has been so hot this summer that I have been rocking the camoflouge cargo shorts and black ts and polos just so I don't swim in sweat by 10 am. I have been called emo alot lately because when I do wear jeans they are skinny jeans with my flip flops so I don't get too hot. I am also growing my hair out and it is kinda at the 'emo shag' stage. Whatever they say is fine. Yes, the look is very important when it comes to expressing yourself, but it doesn't rule your life. I goth it up when I can. If I can't because of the heat or work, thats fine too. How I look doesn't keep me from loving siouxsie or joy division.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #131
Fatbaby

Face it! We live in a social system where fashion reflects either your paygrade or some aspect of who you are. That is not who you really are but who they can fashion you to be.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #132
Jaye Jang

I type death summaries across from a morgue. How goth is that?
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #133
Duane

That's Super-Goth! Eh, eh?!*is covered in rotten vegetables*
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #134
PocketSizeSun

I'm reminded of the S.O.D. song "United Forces" in which the song goes..

"It doesn't matter how you wear your hair, it's what's inside your head."

I can understand wanting to stay an individual, but welcome to capitalism. I've never really cared about my "style" at work because it's work. All the jobs I've worked have required a uniform, so I can't really say I've gotten away with anything. However, I have long black hair and piercings, to which they've never said anything.

Like everyone has stated, the key is going to the job interview looking as "normal" as possible. Once you get the job, slowly add to your appearance until you feel comfortable. If they don't like it, what can you do? We all have to sacrifice.

That's the real world for ya.
PocketSizeSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #135
Jaye Jang

blackwater1110, Okay. Unless you can get a job working from home you will have to look 'respectable' and agree to 'meet your employers at least halfway', if not 'go the extra mile.' Since we are in an employment flux, I would strongly suggest the latter. I work two jobs, one as an ME (medical editor) from home, (and yes we have a decent spell check) -- and one as a medical typist at a hospital. For the ME job, I can wear my jammies and slippers if I feel like it, as I work from home and I have never even met my boss. However, I STILL REPRESENT THE COMPANY FOR WHICH I WORK, and that means not 'puttin' on the ritz' (a.k.a. goth), until after hours, simply because there is a dress code for people who work at the CSC's (customer service centers). Also because, even though my employers and coworkers have never seen me, other people DO (i.e. the postman, neighbors, delivery people, computer repairmen, etc.) so it gets back to the boss, and the rest is history (including the job, which BTW pays the bills).

For the hospital job, since I work by the morgue, I am actually requiired to wear black -- out of respect for the dead, which is kind of cool; however, it has to be a nice black suit or scrubs. (The makeup, jewelry and cargo pants, etc. are NOT part of the packaging, as that violates the hospital dress code. I still get to wear my boots, as this is a Western state, after all, but they have to be polished and in good repair). Upshot: Your employer is the person who technically pays your rent, etc. They do not own you, but if you show the company a lack of respect it reflects badly on them, a back on you in the long run. I can relate to your feelings, but having been a 'gainfully employed person' for a long time now, I can qualify and quantify this: You will either need to 'leave those feelings at the door' when you come to work, or put them on a 'back burner.' A good old saying to consider is this, dude: "If you want to be treated with respect, you must first show respect to others." (It means making sacrifices, but having a place to live, food to eat and an income makes 'putting on the ritz' just that much sweeter). Good luck.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #136
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
Video game tester, sounds like the best ever. Usually it if for people working part-time or students, but getting paid to play video games all the time sounds like the best job in the world.
They're not just sitting playing videogames. You're required to report every little bug you find in detail, as well as any complaints or improvements you think there should be.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #137
Solumina

Not to mention that while they get to play awesome games some of the time they also have to play games designed as learing tools for young children as well as all of those princess/barbie/poney games out there
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #138
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
They're not just sitting playing videogames. You're required to report every little bug you find in detail, as well as any complaints or improvements you think there should be.
I love the impression this commercial creates. I didn't realize you could "tighten up the graphics' by PLAYING THE FUCKING GAME.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #139
Joker_in_the_Pack

Hahaha I remember that, I loved how nobody noticed those were old Sega controllers.

They might be Super Nintendo, I can't tell too easily.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #140
Mealla

First off, the hostility in this thread is astounding. o_o You would think he asked if puppies should be grilled or boiled after being skinned alive. I didn't see it listed anywhere in this thread, so I'll mention there is actually a site on this topic. I can't post the link since I'm still new, but if you do a google search for "corporate goth," it's the first result.

Additionally, while many jobs that don't deal face-to-face with the public still have a strict dress code, they are generally more likely to allow different appearances. Also, it is possible to find jobs where certain aspects of your appearance aren't an issue. I'm working QA at a warehouse at the moment, and they could care less if you have bright green hair, tattoos, piercings, or wear all black so long as you show up on time, do your job, are appropriately covered, and don't wear anything that could get caught in the machinery. In fact, most of the employees there have piercings and/or tattoos.

While these elements aren't necessary to be "goth," I think this is a valid question since piercings, tattoos, etc. are potential expressions of "goth" fashion. Don't get your lacy black panties in a ruffle because someone asked a well-intentioned question.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 AM   #141
Nephele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
I didn't see it listed anywhere in this thread, so I'll mention there is actually a site on this topic. I can't post the link since I'm still new, but if you do a google search for "corporate goth," it's the first result.
Mealla, just want to say that I'd never heard of "corporate goth" before, but I checked it out on Google as you suggested. I was amazed -- I've been dressing corporate goth on my job for years, and didn't know there was a name for it. I've got to read more about it. Thanks!

-- Nephele
Nephele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #142
Jaye Jang

Mealla, thanks bunches. Googled 'corporate goth' myself. Now I don't feel so guilty about 'dressing down' for my job.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #143
Despanan

When I worked at Shadowbox I was actually encouraged to wear my gothy stuff (as we had that whole "Rock and Roll" atmosphere going) And, usually on one of our "special" nights, like New Years Eve and whatnot I really got to go all out. Tophats, fishnet, gauntlets, White-face etc.

I got rid of most of my accessories when I started getting on stage more and working the pizza oven between shows though. Often times elaborate outfits are uncomfortable and keep you from easily pulling off a costume change, and tend to get dirty and burned in a kitchen.

Bottom line: Elaborate clothing is fun, but you should be mature enough to ditch it for utility when it gets in the way.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #144
Mealla

Glad the site was helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
Bottom line: Elaborate clothing is fun, but you should be mature enough to ditch it for utility when it gets in the way.
Definitely agreed. More often, however, the issue is more of a social one. If a clothing choice is impractical for the performance of a particular job, however, I think most people can understand and accept that.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #145
Polana

Jobs for Goths

Hi there! I'm completely new to this site. In fact it was your question that prompted me to register (or rather, the negative responses you got.)
I am a goth. I have a good job. And being a goth has not hindered me one bit in my career.
I do, however, 'tone it down' a bit at work. Mainly this is because I can't be bothered to get up extra early to apply loads of make-up, but I wear my own style of clothes and I do stand out. This has never been a problem.
You should not feel that you have to compromise how you want to express yourself, just because we live in a narrow-minded society.
Here are some jobs that I and my goth friends do:
Mental health advocate (or and social care/ mental health job) no uniform is required. I work for a charity and the dress code (unwritten and unmentioned) is 'clean and tidy.' A lot of my colleagues wear jeans, but just as many have their own individual style.
Shop worker. One of my friends used to manage a charity shop. She now works in a fancy dress shop. Perfect. She gets to dress up as well.
Performer. I know musicians, circus artistes, actors and artists, all 'alternative' in their dress style. No problem.
Self-employed. I've been self employed myself. Depends what you want to do, but if you have a passion for the dark side, look at your personal talents and set up your own business.
Working in media, entertainment, advertising. These are creative people. Creative people welcome individual freethinkers. They're not going to be put off by a bit of nail varnish.
There are more, but I really want to say: Don't give in to all this negativity. Yes it is hard to get a job, but you need to have a positive attitude to working and present this to a prospective employer. Whenever I have interviewed people, the first thing I notice is not how they're dressed, but how they carry themself and what they say.
Some bigotted people will take one look and turn you away. Would you want to work for them anyway?
Good luck!
Polana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #146
blindNsect

I repair Jewelry. People don't seem to give a fuck how I look as long as I do a good job.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #147
punkydudester

I work in airfreight as an outbound freight coordinator & I dress quite alternative & corporate gothic yet sharp & neat & my boss likes it as long as its not too extreme. It really depends on your boss. With other terminals within our company it would be up to the district manager's discretion. My boss is extremely conservative yet very open minded. He is great & because I do a really good job I'm allowed to be me as I have proved myself. It's really too bad the world isn't filled with more managers like him. There are some great ideas on here so thank you. I am looking for a career change.
punkydudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #148
Alan

LOL wow. Is it obvious this thread was created pre-economic crisis?
I wonder if blackwater found a 7.25 job where he feels he won because he's wearing black nail polish when handling money.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #149
Valhalla

This thread is terrible. There are so many more important things than how one looks, like having a steady job. Having a roof over your head and food on the table > not selling out to the man. I've always known I should be careful about where I get tattoos, and be prepared to take out any piercings one day. It's just what people have to do depending on what kind of a job they want.

McDonalds won't hire anyone with visible piercings or colorful hair. Ideally we could all wear nose chains and have green hair and still become CEOs or the president if we had the qualifications, but that's not the world we live in.

Edit:
Also, this is the most first world problem ever.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #150
Saya

Does anyone else panic when an old thread gets revived because now new people will see what a dumbass I was?

And this made me realize I miss Lolly PopMuzik.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote