Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Mir

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Quote:
WASHINGTON/OSLO (Reuters) - Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in a stunning decision that honoured the first-year U.S. president more for promise than achievement and drew both praise and scepticism around the world.
The bestowal of one of the world's top accolades on a president less than nine months in office, who has yet to score a major foreign policy success, was greeted with gasps of astonishment from journalists at the announcement in Oslo.
The Norwegian Nobel Committee praised Obama for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," citing his fledgling push for nuclear disarmament and his outreach to the Muslim world.
Obama has been widely credited with improving America's international image after the eight-year presidency of George W. Bush, who alienated both friends and foes with go-it-alone policies like the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.
But critics called the Nobel's committee's decision premature, given that Obama so far has won few concrete gains as he grapples with global crises ranging from the war in Afghanistan and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to nuclear standoffs with Iran and North Korea.
The White House had no idea the Nobel announcement was coming.
Obama's press secretary woke him with the news before dawn and the president felt "humbled" by the award, a senior administration official said.
When told in an email from Reuters that many people around the world were stunned by the announcement, Obama's senior adviser, David Axelrod, responded: "As are we."
The first African-American to hold his country's highest office, Obama, 48, has called for disarmament and worked to restart stalled Middle East peace moves since taking office in January.
"Very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Nobel committee said in its citation.
Despite problems at home including a struggling economy that have eaten into his early high public approval ratings, the U.S. president is still widely seen around the world as an inspirational figure.
Obama laid out his vision on eliminating nuclear arms in a speech in Prague in April. But he was not the first American president to set that goal, and acknowledged it might not be reached in his lifetime.
Obama was to make a statement in the White House Rose Garden at 11:00 a.m. EDT (4:00 p.m. British time). Obama, a Democrat, is struggling at home with high unemployment and resistance in Congress to his healthcare reform plans.
Obama will travel to Oslo to receive the prize, Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said after speaking with the U.S. president on Friday. The prize is handed out on December 10, the anniversary of the 1896 death of the award's founder, Alfred Nobel.
While the award won praise from such statesmen as Nelson Mandela and Mikhail Gorbachev, both Nobel laureates, it was also attacked in some quarters as hasty and undeserved.
Afghanistan's Taliban mocked the award.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, speaking to Reuters by telephone from an undisclosed location, said it was absurd to give a peace award to a man who had sent 21,000 extra troops to Afghanistan, and Obama "should have won the 'Nobel Prize for escalating violence and killing civilians.'"
Obama is considering a request from his top commander in Afghanistan to send him at least 40,000 more troops.
The Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip and opposes a peace treaty with Israel, said the award was premature at best.
EMBARRASSING "JOKE"
Nobel Committee Chairman Thorbjoern Jagland rejected suggestions from journalists that Obama was getting the prize too early, saying it recognized what he had already done over the past year.
"We hope this can contribute a little bit to enhance what he is trying to do," he told a news conference.
Obama is the fourth U.S. president to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize after Jimmy Carter won in 2002, Woodrow Wilson picked it up in 1919 and Theodore Roosevelt was chosen for the 1906 prize.
Issam al-Khazraji, a day labourer in Baghdad, said of Obama: "He doesn't deserve this prize. All these problems -- Iraq, Afghanistan -- have not been solved . . . man of 'change' hasn't changed anything yet."
Liaqat Baluch, a senior leader of the Jamaat-e-Islami, a conservative religious party in Pakistan, called the award an embarrassing "joke."
But the chief Palestinian peace negotiator, Saeb Erekat, welcomed it and expressed hope that Obama "will be able to achieve peace in the Middle East."
While many Americans voiced pride, some were puzzled.
"It would be wonderful if I could think why he won," said Claire Sprague, 82, a retired English professor as she walked her dog in Manhattan's Greenwich Village. "They wanted to give him an honour I guess, but I can't think what for."
The committee said it attached "special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons," saying he had "created a new climate in international politics."
Without naming Bush, it highlighted the differences in America's engagement with the rest of the world since the change of administration in January.
"Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play.
"Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts," it said, and the United States was playing a more constructive role in tackling climate change. The committee awarded former U.S. Vice President Al Gore and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change the peace prize in 2007 for their work on fighting global warming.
Obama is negotiating arms cuts with Russia, and last month dropped plans to base elements of a U.S. anti-missile shield in Poland and the Czech Republic. Moscow had seen the scheme as a threat, despite U.S. assurances it was directed against Iran.
On other pressing issues, Obama is deliberating whether to send more troops to fight the Taliban in Afghanistan, and is still searching for breakthroughs on Iran's disputed nuclear program and on Middle East peace.
Israel's foreign minister said on Thursday there was no chance of a peace deal for many years.
Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who had been tipped as a favourite for the prize, told Reuters that Obama was a deserving candidate and an "extraordinary example."
Obama's uncle Said Obama told Reuters by telephone from the president's ancestral village of Kogelo in western Kenya: "It is humbling for us as a family and we share in Barack's honour ... we congratulate him."
The prize is worth 10 million Swedish crowns (897,162 pounds).
(Additional reporting by Oslo newsroom, Kamran Haider in Pakistan, Mohammed Assadi, Nidal al-Mughrabi in Gaza; Mark Denge in Nairobi, Jason Webb in Spain; Writing by Alistair Bell, Editing by Howard Goller and Frances Kerry)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE5981JP20091009?sp=true

A little premature (he hasn't yet accomplished many of the things he promised), or perfect timing to add momentum to things he's pushing for? Thoughts? Opinions?

Btw, Gandhi has been nominated times, and hasn't won.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
gothicusmaximus

So, I think I've made some pretty good posts here on Gnet. Where's my Pulitzer?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Delkaetre

It does seem very early, and there are a hell of a lot of people out there who've been working all their lives and actually making a change.

However, he *has* become an icon. Obama is this globally recognised figure who stands for hope, healthcare, dignity, international peace, etc. He's been making very clear and strong stands on a whole variety of issues that have previously been ignored or handled badly- that alone is worth a lot. America's a hugely influential power, and the opinion of US president carries a lot of weight. If he says he's up for world peace and makes the moves to show it, he can make a big difference.

TLDR- he's a very useful icon and giving him the Nobel Peace Prize gives him even greater credibility and usefulness.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Mir

It is early. Don't get me wrong, I like Obama, and the moves he's made, but at this point in time, all I can go on is what he's said, not done. Guantanamo bay doesn't have a concrete deadline for closure, he is said to be considering icreasing troop presence in Afghanistan/Iraq, his health care bills face heated opposition, etc.

I really hope he manages to accomplish many of the things that he's promised. Especially on the International stage.

If the Nobel nod can hasten this process in any way, than I say hell yeah to that.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
viscus

I voted for Obama and all, but this was a stupid move for the Nobel Committee. Their damaging their own credibility and inciting those Americans who dislike Obama in part because of his international popularity. Why they want to politicize the Nobel Peace Prize like this is beyond me.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
creature6

here are a few comments on what people thought about Obama getting a Nobel price.

1 Sets him up for a fall. A lot of hope and expectation on words and promises, but short on measurable action/ achievement. In time it may be proven fair, but way too early. I always thought it was about achievement not about potential. In science it can take a life-time to be truly recognized. He's not even completed a year in office and has nothing tangible to show so far that supports this award.

Andrew, Geneva .

2 Are you kidding me. This man has done nothing to deserve this and I am glad most of the world agrees with me, he's a sweet talker and that's all.The U.S.A. is in shambles,and he has surrounded himself with cronies,tax cheats, and perverts. Give me a break 'Nobel' you are a disgrace.Leaving Israel out to fend for themselves is not promoting peace.

dan szklarz, worcester, United States .

3 A bit too early for such an award! His record is by no means extraordinary in this respect
what's their hurry?

Denis, Brussels .

4 So a man who is currently bombing two countries (Iraq, Afghanistan), waging terrorist campaigns against several others (Pakistan, Iran), supports Israeli colonialism and mass murder, and aids nuclear proliferators (India) has been awarded a 'peace' prize.

There's not much else to say about the bankruptcy of the Nobel prize and the complicity of the mass media for not laughing the whole thing out of the room.

David Traynier, Colchester, United Kingdom .

5 Obama did nothing to this world to get such prize. It dishonor all of Noble Prize Winners

symon, dhaka .

6 No way should Obama have won the Nobel Peace Prize! I think it's sad the the Nobel Committee cannot come up with a better candidate, let alone winner for this prestigious prize. Maybe if all of his idealistic goals are accomplished in a couple years, will he deserve the prize. However, other than the U.S. gaining popularity worldwide, our country is not dramatically different from a year ago when Bush is president. If Obama can accomplish his goals, he will deserve the prize, but not yet.

John, LA .

There are many more that you can find on this website(newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID)

i personally think that it's far to early to be giving him a Nobel price.
It's look like a big joke and by doing so they are giving a new meaning to the Nobel price which is not a good one.
i think it's a disgrace and somehow they are mocking people who had won Nobel Prices in the past .I'm talking about people who actually deserved it.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir View Post
Btw, Gandhi has been nominated times, and hasn't won.
So has Thich Nhat Hanh. I mean, Martin Luther King Jr nominated him, how could he lose?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
So has Thich Nhat Hanh. I mean, Martin Luther King Jr nominated him, how could he lose?
Blows my mind. Btw I forgot to add five to that sentence.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Beneath the Shadows

Huh. And here I thought that the Nobel Peace Prize actually meant something. Silly me.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
skoteinh

Nobel Peace Prize => Here's hoping...
Old 10-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows View Post
Huh. And here I thought that the Nobel Peace Prize actually meant something. Silly me.
I think when Kissinger won was when you could figure out its pretty much a meaningless award.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
creature6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows View Post
well that's what i thought but apparently not any more after seeing that.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
I_Zik

Same here. It meant something on the order of "helping all humanity." I feel dirtier than before after hearing of him getting the peace prize. Has anyone seen The Obama Deception by Alex Jones? Makes my blood boil at some of the stuff I see in the news.
I_Zik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
creature6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Zik View Post
Same here. It meant something on the order of "helping all humanity." I feel dirtier than before after hearing of him getting the peace prize. Has anyone seen The Obama Deception by Alex Jones? Makes my blood boil at some of the stuff I see in the news.
i didn't watched it yet but i'll later.
Every time i listen to the news ,you can hear me cursing from the other side of the world.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
creature6

For those who are interested to watch it:

(http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0711843120756#)

video.google.com

The Obama Deception
1:51:21
The Obama Deception is a hard-hitting film that completely destroys the myth that Barack Obama is working for the best interests of the American people. The Obama phenomenon is a hoax carefully crafted by the captains of the New World Order. He is being pushed as savior in an attempt to con the American people into accepting global slavery. We have reached a critical juncture in the New World Order's plans. and only by exposing the con can we help to save freedom in America. The Obama Deception is not about Left or Right: it's about a One World Government. The international banks plan to loot the people of the United States and turn them into slaves on a Global Plantation. Covered in this film: who Obama works for, what lies he has told, and his real agenda, and how his initial appointments and actions prove he serves the corporate oligarchs, not the American people. If you want to know the facts and cut through all the hype, this is the film for you.....
Old 10-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
KontanKarite

Sounds like a set up for a fall. :-/ He's no messiah.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creature6 View Post
For those who are interested to watch it:

(http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0711843120756#)

video.google.com

The Obama Deception
1:51:21
The Obama Deception is a hard-hitting film that completely destroys the myth that Barack Obama is working for the best interests of the American people. The Obama phenomenon is a hoax carefully crafted by the captains of the New World Order. He is being pushed as savior in an attempt to con the American people into accepting global slavery. We have reached a critical juncture in the New World Order's plans. and only by exposing the con can we help to save freedom in America. The Obama Deception is not about Left or Right: it's about a One World Government. The international banks plan to loot the people of the United States and turn them into slaves on a Global Plantation. Covered in this film: who Obama works for, what lies he has told, and his real agenda, and how his initial appointments and actions prove he serves the corporate oligarchs, not the American people. If you want to know the facts and cut through all the hype, this is the film for you.....

I hope you don't actually count that as a reliable source since it's just a bunch of conspiracy theory.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
creature6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
I hope you don't actually count that as a reliable source since it's just a bunch of conspiracy theory.

just for your fucking information before you jump to conclusion ,it has been mention in a previous post and i posted where to find that video along with the introduction that i of course did not write
i did not watch that video yet but i guess you read that too before you made your fucked up stupid comment.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #19
Mir

I saw the first half hour. Waste of my fucking time.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #20
creature6

i can't say yet i didn't watch it.
i'll comment on it once i saw it.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #21
creature6

why did you think it was a waste of time ?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Zik View Post
I hope you can see this, Because I'm doing it as hard as I can:

*FACEPALM*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #23
creature6

i can't see anything?
i can't read it.
i think it's too small.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #24
Despanan

This is an unbearable strain; but I'm doing it harder than I've ever done it before:

*FACEPALM*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #25
Mir

Maybe this will help.

*COLLECTIVE FACEPALM*