Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
6SixSick

What is the best Gothic weather?

Hey there I was just wondering what you all took to be the best gothic weather?
If we take Bram Stoker's dracula as an example there's a lot of misty, grey cold weather which permeates the book.
But if you could put yourself in an ideal location weather wise what would it look like?
My ideal weather that fortunately happens quite often in England is very windy so my cloak, coat etc blows about and little spots of rain
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
MissCheyenne

Gothic......weather? O.O

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
Gothic......weather? O.O
yeah man it's like what's the best coat or look i'm just taking it to an environmental level like filling in the scenery behind the picture
Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
theact

I know the best weather to be a goth in would definitely cold and slightly windy, I'm not talking about snow here but maybe 15-20 degrees? Allows you to wear what ever clothing you like and not sweat, or get rained on. However this post is heavily influenced by my opinions I wear jeans boots and jackets most days, and prefer to avoid shorts unless its really hot, therefore I suffer in hot weather. This may not be what you were asking however. As its not gothic themed weather.
theact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Murder.Of.Crows

Not sure if it is "goth weather" but, i prefer heavy rain, dark skies, no or little wind, some fog would be cool too. As for temperature, i can not exist in anything less than 60, i end up staying in the house, huddled around a fire i made with crappy books, on the carpet. Of course, the sensible thing to do would be turn on the heater, but it is too cold to be sensible....
Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Timeless Rebellion

Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Solumina

I like fluffy white snow, but only for a day or two after that it needs to go away. I also enjoy warm spring days, perhaps with a slight breeze, especially if I'm walking under some trees so there is loads of dappled sunlight (much like what is going on in my profile pic).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
JJ_Spade

I Would Say Hot Summer Days With Warm Rain, A Bit Of Sun Shining Through Big Dark Clouds. I Miss That. Forget About Ice And Snow...I'm Freezing Right Now. I'm Greek So I Think It's Something In My Blood That Can't Stand The Cold. I Get Cold Way Too Easy.
JJ_Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
Not sure if it is "goth weather" but, i prefer heavy rain, dark skies, no or little wind, some fog would be cool too. As for temperature, i can not exist in anything less than 60, i end up staying in the house, huddled around a fire i made with crappy books, on the carpet. Of course, the sensible thing to do would be turn on the heater, but it is too cold to be sensible....
I would agree with you to swap the heavy rain with light rain. Walking around with wet jeans is a fucking nightmare
Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
Pineapple_Juice

Suddenly HP's "Damn, that is the most goth-looking poodle I've ever seen" comes to mind.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
Nightwalker39

In my personal opinion, the best weather is a dark night. Filled with thunder and lightning. No rain. No wind. Moderate weather. It's the one time my friends and i play ball.
Nightwalker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
Jonathan

Out this way, it's typically September through early to mid October. Cool enough to do interesting outfits without suffering for it while still warm enough to be out and about.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Alan

It's a hot, subtropical summer midday, you assholes.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It's a hot, subtropical summer midday, you assholes.
With or without pickup trucks laden with bands of roving narco guerrillas?

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
Alan

Without; goths are too pussified to be useful for cartels.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
MissCheyenne

The best gothic weather is hot enough to melt the face off a baboon so that I can discuss the virtues of my uber elite, factor 5000 sun cream that I use to make sure I retain my deathly pallor.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
Ben Lahnger

This isn't going to surprise anyone but I favor a balmy 77 degrees on a nude beach.

Why 77?

Well, it's like 69 ... only you get 8 more.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #18
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SixSick View Post
Hey there I was just wondering what you all took to be the best gothic weather?
If we take Bram Stoker's dracula as an example there's a lot of misty, grey cold weather which permeates the book.
But if you could put yourself in an ideal location weather wise what would it look like?
My ideal weather that fortunately happens quite often in England is very windy so my cloak, coat etc blows about and little spots of rain
I'm really getting tired of peeps like you who think your ever-so-precious "way of life" is exclusive and must be applied to everything. How aboht "what's your favorite season" though that'd be a pointless twat thread as the majority rule would be WINTER.

Lucky for you the UK's pretty muggy 80%
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
I'm really getting tired of peeps like you who think your ever-so-precious "way of life" is exclusive and must be applied to everything. How aboht "what's your favorite season" though that'd be a pointless twat thread as the majority rule would be WINTER.

Lucky for you the UK's pretty muggy 80%
You do know that "way of life" pretty much means being applied to everything, otherwise it wouldn't be a way of life, don't you?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #20
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Out this way, it's typically September through early to mid October. Cool enough to do interesting outfits without suffering for it while still warm enough to be out and about.
Yeah that's pretty good to be honest. I'm all about the interesting outfits.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker39 View Post
In my personal opinion, the best weather is a dark night. Filled with thunder and lightning. No rain. No wind. Moderate weather. It's the one time my friends and i play ball.
Not on a rooftop with a titanium baseball bat hopefully........?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #22
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
You do know that "way of life" pretty much means being applied to everything, otherwise it wouldn't be a way of life, don't you?
No, Jonathan, it doesn't mean that. There isn't a Goth way to buy carrots. There isn't a Goth way to ship a package. There isn't a Goth way to breathe (and if you say there is you have totally made that up.)

In fact, many of the things that are supposedly Goth are made so by people who claim the "way of life" line simply by doing things the way everybody else does and attaching some superficial Goth affectations to it. There's no Goth way to sweep off a porch. If you wear black clothing and pale makeup, it's still gonna be sweeping off the porch in the same tried and true manner everyone else uses.

Don't be that guy. That's the guy who convinces the rest of the world that Goths can't be taken seriously.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #23
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
No, Jonathan, it doesn't mean that. There isn't a Goth way to buy carrots. There isn't a Goth way to ship a package. There isn't a Goth way to breathe (and if you say there is you have totally made that up.)

In fact, many of the things that are supposedly Goth are made so by people who claim the "way of life" line simply by doing things the way everybody else does and attaching some superficial Goth affectations to it. There's no Goth way to sweep off a porch. If you wear black clothing and pale makeup, it's still gonna be sweeping off the porch in the same tried and true manner everyone else uses.

Don't be that guy. That's the guy who convinces the rest of the world that Goths can't be taken seriously.
But if I do those things while bemoaning my fate, with my wrist pressed against my forehead, or while wearing a cape, then bam.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #24
Sinjob

Quote:
...And there isn't a "Goth" way to take a shit. That is, unless, you make sure the room is pitch black and the sound of turds splashing sends a ghoulish chill down the spines of your family memebers over hearing in the other room.

Just shut the fuck up. The fact you'd even see it as something more than music makes you look like a fool. Not as big of a fool as the OP, but still a bumbling fool.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #25
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
...And there isn't a "Goth" way to take a shit. That is, unless, you make sure the room is pitch black and the sound of turds splashing sends a ghoulish chill down the spines of your family memebers over hearing in the other room.

Just shut the fuck up. The fact you'd even see it as something more than music makes you look like a fool. Not as big of a fool as the OP, but still a bumbling fool.
There's a gothic fashion. You can't listen to a fucking shirt, so there's something that isn't music. There, I swore too so I am edgy on the internet too.

If I play Oingo Boingo or some shit for my friends and they dig it, they aren't magically goth for 7.5 minutes or however long the damn track is. There's more to it than music.