Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Veganism

So, yeah...
What's up with it?
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Amarantha

Hm.....I was vegan for about two hours. Then I chugged a whole gallon of milk. Then I wasn't vegan anymore.

It's cool tho. Just as long as you get all of your proteins...otherwise you explode and die.

^.^
Old 10-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
da fetus

lol ur so funny.

and you fuckers claim I'M a troll.
da fetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Graveyard.Crow

Ok so veganism is NOT just about the diet. If you look it up, you can find that vegan ism is almost like a belief. IT's not just a diet, it's a way of life.
I do not eat anything that comes from an animal, nor do I use any wool, leather, you name it.
I do it because to me it's healthier (if you do your research and don't just starve yourself), but mainly to stop animal cruelty.

Now a lot of people who are not vegan will say "it's not healthier to take all that stuff that you need out of your diet"
Guess what? It's not about just taking it out, it's about replacing it. I don't eat eggs, but I eat nuts, drink soy milk instead of regular and veggie burgers have enough protein for me (and are easier to digest).

Anyway...this message has been brought to you by the "convertyoutoveganismcult"
Old 10-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Cicero

I mentioned in the previous vegan-themed thread hijack that I respect it, and now I might as well say why.

It takes a lot of discipline and self-control to give up foods that most people would never dream of giving up, and managing it while staying healthy is somewhat of a nutritional victory. It's also the most animal friendly diet in existance, and in my book 'animal-friendly' automatically means 'preferable'.

The only bad thing about veganism is the PETA-like attitude that often accompanies it. I'm in full support of animal welfare, but some people just take it too far...

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Graveyard.Crow

What's the peta attitude?
and thank you XD
Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Cicero

OMG YOU'RE WEARING LEATHER SHOES YOU MURDERER NAZI BASTARD!!! *throws red paint*

Old 10-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Graveyard.Crow

Oh...kay...
Well no. But I will admit I LIKE people who agree with me on this one. And yes it DOES take a lot to give up foods that you love. However I was damaging my health, and even though I'm still rather thin I had a feeling my metabolism wasn't going to be this good forever.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
da fetus

you think PETA's bad check out the ALF
da fetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
Saddiction

One thing that annoys me to no end, are vegans and/or vegetarians who do it strictly for the welfare of animals. I bet if most of them looked around in their bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, etc, they'd find an abundance of cleaning products, costmetic products, hygiene products etc that have been tested on animals. But it's ok. Eating cheese or eggs is the real threat here.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
mainly to stop animal cruelty.
Ok, see, that's the part I don't get.
People can't simply ignore the huge quantities of animals living in the fields in which we harvest.
This article is pretty old, but it perfectly explains my point of view:
http://web.archive.org/web/200411070...ood/vegan.html

For everyone too lazy to read it, remember this part of the article:
One study documented that a single operation, mowing alfalfa, caused a 50 percent reduction in the gray-tailed vole population.
Thousands of thousands of vermin that live in the fields die just so that we can eat. They're not only killed as pests, but they're also massacred by the blades of the machinery that harvest the fields.
Running a spike through a cow's head seems much more humane to me than just looking the other way while a bunny is literally shredded and crushed to a pulp.
So, my question resumes itself to the beginning of the article:
"Why is it right to kill the mouse and not the cow?"
Old 10-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
One thing that annoys me to no end, are vegans and/or vegetarians who do it strictly for the welfare of animals. I bet if most of them looked around in their bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, etc, they'd find an abundance of cleaning products, costmetic products, hygiene products etc that have been tested on animals. But it's ok. Eating cheese or eggs is the real threat here.
Most vegans try to look up their products before they buy them and not get them if they were tested on animals.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Ok, see, that's the part I don't get.
People can't simply ignore the huge quantities of animals living in the fields in which we harvest.
This article is pretty old, but it perfectly explains my point of view:
http://web.archive.org/web/200411070...ood/vegan.html

For everyone too lazy to read it, remember this part of the article:
One study documented that a single operation, mowing alfalfa, caused a 50 percent reduction in the gray-tailed vole population.
Thousands of thousands of vermin that live in the fields die just so that we can eat. They're not only killed as pests, but they're also massacred by the blades of the machinery that harvest the fields.
Running a spike through a cow's head seems much more humane to me than just looking the other way while a bunny is literally shredded and crushed to a pulp.
So, my question resumes itself to the beginning of the article:
"Why is it right to kill the mouse and not the cow?"
It's not right.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
thedoll

its all pompus assholes with superiority complexes

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #15
NachtSorcier

I respect everyone's right to live how they want, but here's my beef with veganism (pun intended):

There are just far too many things that we in the modern age rely on that require the death of animals, just as Jillian's example cited. If veganism were the norm, there'd be no movies or cassette tapes because the mylar that they are printed on come from animal products. There'd be far less useful medicine because like it or not, animal testing is necessary sometimes. If the PETA people had their way, we wouldn't be allowed to have pets; all the kitties and puppies would be free to roam the streets and get hit by cars everyday.

The list goes on. It simply isn't possible to eliminate every threat to animals. Not only that, but I try to think about what nature intended, and the fact is that we as humans are omnivores - we were given the teeth necessary to consume plant material as well as rip apart flesh. If we weren't meant to eat meat, we wouldn't be able to digest it.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
If the PETA people had their way, we wouldn't be allowed to have pets; all the kitties and puppies would be free to roam the streets and get hit by cars everyday.
Actually, they'd be all dead.
Never give your pets to PETA, people. They kill them.
PETA believes domestic dogs and cats are an aberration to nature because we, humans, were the ones that bred them and they wouldn't have existed naturally.
If PETA had its way, puppies and kittens wouldn't be set free, they'd be put to sleep.
No slander; go research and you'll see that's PETA's opinion.
But we're going off a tangent. This thread's about veganism. I can respect vegans. I can't respect PETA supporters.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #17
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I can respect vegans. I can't respect PETA supporters.
Ditto, but aren't PETA members vegans by definition? Probably not, but if they are to live by their own word, shouldn't they be?

Old 10-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #18
Godslayer Jillian

Maybe, but just as well, a Puritan must be a Christian, but a Christian is not a Puritan.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #19
Saddiction

Quote:
Most vegans try to look up their products before they buy them and not get them if they were tested on animals.
Key word is "try". Being the vegan that you are, do you use any products that are tested on animals? Just curious.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #20
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
Key word is "try". Being the vegan that you are, do you use any products that are tested on animals? Just curious.
I try my best to avoid it. Like for example to me buying that new blush just isn't worth it if they test on animals. Screw that.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #21
NachtSorcier

Quote:
I try my best to avoid it. Like for example to me buying that new blush just isn't worth it if they test on animals. Screw that.
That's one place where we can agree. I understand that testing medications on animals is sometimes necessary, but things like make up and shampoo, not so much.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #22
Graveyard.Crow

Plus it's not the animals fault that they want to stick questionable ingredients into the products.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #23
Cicero

So what if there's absolutely no way for us to exist without animal cruelty? At least vegans and vegetarians TRY.

It's like skin cancer - you can't avoid the sun CONSTANTLY and eliminate ALL possiblity that you'll get a melanoma, but you can wear sunscreen and a long sleeved shirt with the knowledge that at least you're decreasing your chances.

The results of farming vegetables are detrimental at times - forests are cleared and native wildlife destroyed. Clearing land for grazing cattle does exactly the same thing, with the added casualties of the cows. Grain-fed cattle add even more cleared land into the equation. Then of course there's the mistreatment that goes on in most factory farms - at least the field mice didn't have to be castrated without anaesthetic.

I wouldn't have a problem with eating meat if it wasn't such a destructive industry. For as long as factory farms remain churning out their cheap and abused product I'm not going to bother.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #24
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
That's one place where we can agree. I understand that testing medications on animals is sometimes necessary, but things like make up and shampoo, not so much.
Don't forget about hair dye. Hmmm I wonder if vegans dye their hair. GC, you're a vegan, what brand of hair dye do you use?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 PM   #25
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
So what if there's absolutely no way for us to exist without animal cruelty? At least vegans and vegetarians TRY.
I try also, by making donations to the Humane Society.

As unfortunate as it sounds, there will always be animal cruelty, and no amount of trying will be able to stop it.