Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
AshleyO

What if I told you that there was an MMO based on zombies...

That would take into account your very real responses to other people in such a scenario?

Day Z

http://www.dayzmod.com/about.php

OK, check it. You've got what I can only imagine is a game where permadeath is the reality. You have a hunger system in place. You have to avoid zombies. You can build up fortifications and repair vehicles. Go scavenging. And get this... depending on how cooperative of a person you are, you can literally build small working communities.

This is some FREAKY possibilities to kind of get an insight into how other people think. Depending on how much you allow yourself to get into it, you can behave exactly as you would imagine you would and the person you're interacting with would do the same.

What this means is that other players are probably a better bet or a bigger threat than the actual zombies.

I seriously just watched a video of a guy get into the game for the first time, he sees a body in the road and these dudes just rob his ass and kill him afterwards. They didn't have to do that. But they did.

Just... look into it. This is something you might want to check out.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
AshleyO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOB7YGgREFg

Just.... look.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Solumina

That sounds really fucking cool, but I'm not looking at it right now because it is late at night and there are way too many drunk kids aimlessly wandering by my window and mumbling incoherently on a regular basis (the one draw back to my apartment is that I am ground level and on the most direct path to walk between a bar and University Suites) so I'm sure I would have awful zombie nightmares
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
AshleyO

Yeah...

This game will probably force my hand on a new PC rig. And if I could get other gnetters in on it, oh shit.

Get this. Get this shit.

Depending on the server you join, the game is all based on real time. So if you join a server in a central timezone, the time of day reflects that timezone. That's interesting as all hell.

Apparently the life expectancy of someone in the game is 4 real hours. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with a lot of people being nihilistic in the game. But that's the reality of the game. o_0

Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Versus

Why have I only now discovered this? I'll need to check out when I get home.

Also, have you seen the post apocalyptic mmo Fallen Earth?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Solumina

Oooooo gosh this sounds like such a fun sociological study!
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Saya

Somehow I don't think this would help my social anxiety.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Solumina

Yeah, not so much
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Versus

Oh, shit. Dude. I have Arma 2 on my computer. Bar none, it is the most realistic shooter I have ever seen. In fact, it's closer to a military simulator then a video game. Unfortunately, it's meticulous attention to detail alienates gamers because it's so boring.

Seriously.

While it's awesome in it's own way, nobody really likes having to pull out their compas and laser range finder to get the azimuth and distance to an objective to report the grid coordinates.

Or when their character passes out from dehydration from trying to hump 90 pounds of equipment up a mountain.

Or that they get blown up because they tried to engage a BMP with HE instead of AP, or didn't laser designate it to give the ballistic computer a firing solution to adjust for lateral movement.

And so on...
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Murder.Of.Crows

I'm seriously interested, unfortunately I'd need to get my hands on the game and I lack the funds. If you get on it though, I'd be sure to throw it on the top of my to get list.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Oh, shit. Dude. I have Arma 2 on my computer. Bar none, it is the most realistic shooter I have ever seen. In fact, it's closer to a military simulator then a video game. Unfortunately, it's meticulous attention to detail alienates gamers because it's so boring.

Seriously.

While it's awesome in it's own way, nobody really likes having to pull out their compas and laser range finder to get the azimuth and distance to an objective to report the grid coordinates.

Or when their character passes out from dehydration from trying to hump 90 pounds of equipment up a mountain.

Or that they get blown up because they tried to engage a BMP with HE instead of AP, or didn't laser designate it to give the ballistic computer a firing solution to adjust for lateral movement.

And so on...
It's still in alpha. But this is some interesting shit right here.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
Haejin

oh my gawsh
Haejin is offline   Reply With Quote