Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Xombie

Strip club music!

I started dancing at a strip club 2 months ago, and I get to pick my own music, for the most part. The DJ has this huge music database thing which supposedly has any song I could ask for as long as it's not the most obscure shit ever. So far he has ignored my requests to play Siouxsie and the Banshees, and I don't know if it's because it's not on the database or he just doesn't like it, haha. Aaaanyway, give me some songs you think I should dance to! Right now he has me dancing to Marilyn Manson a lot, haahaha, although honestly it's not too bad; The Dope Show is a fucking sexy song.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
BourbonBoy

You can never go wrong with some Nine Inch Nails.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Acharis

How obscure is too obscure and what's your usual taste?

These are just songs I think would be good, so may be the most obscure shit ever to the DJ or the wrong tempo. Give them a try and see if any work.

Alien Sex Fiend - Boneshaker Baby
Bjork - Army of Me
Danzig - She Rides/Mother
Garbage - #1 Crush
Iggy Pop - The Passenger
O Children - Dead Disco Dancer

Maybe try Porcelain Black/Porcelain and The Tramps.. It's not very tradish but might be poppy enough to dance to.

Edit: Also just for the lols I would try Rammstein - Pussy
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Xombie

Haha there is already a girl who dances to Rammstein and there is no way I could do that with a straight face anyway. I was thinking about Bjork and things like Portishead. Low-key electronic shit seems to go over well there.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Lady_Ligeia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie View Post
I started dancing at a strip club 2 months ago, and I get to pick my own music, for the most part. The DJ has this huge music database thing which supposedly has any song I could ask for as long as it's not the most obscure shit ever. So far he has ignored my requests to play Siouxsie and the Banshees, and I don't know if it's because it's not on the database or he just doesn't like it, haha. Aaaanyway, give me some songs you think I should dance to! Right now he has me dancing to Marilyn Manson a lot, haahaha, although honestly it's not too bad; The Dope Show is a fucking sexy song.
Man, back in my sex working days, I had a repertoire of songs to both get me in the mood and to dance to. As far as Siouxsie and the Banshees go, I did a lot of dancing to "Red Light" just because of how deliciously sinful it sounds. Christian Death's "Electra Descending" and basically the whole "Only Theatre of Pain Album" as well as the occasional Alien Sex Fiend ass-shaking bonanza. I loved doing slow, sensual dances to Sisters of Mercy, especially stuff off of "Kiss the Carpet", "Valentine", "Heartland", "Some Kind of Stranger", and general "First and Last and Always" material. Oh, and I've gotten extra love$ from my customers because they noticed I was playing Bauhaus in the background.

Manson is always good for to up the eroticism, but if he only has stuff of that persuasion that appeals to you, would he possibly have NIN's "Perfect Drug"? That song still brings out the "best" in me.

Wow. This just feeds my temptation to return to webcam stripping, pro-domming, and the general realm of sex work. So much money and so much fun to be had. My only problem is everyone else's problem with it and how people discriminate against sex workers... Bahumbug. If you enjoy it, then you're lucky that you're still dancing for a living. Good luck!
Lady_Ligeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
BourbonBoy

Lady_Ligeia, go for it. If women give you shit for it, reply, "Hey, at least I'm getting paid for it." Besides, who are they to judge you for what you do for a living?

Xombie, I was thinking of some other acts that you might be interested in.
Anders Manga
Collide
Danzig
Depeche Mode
Garbage
Godhead
Gravity Kills
Horrorpops
The Last Dance
London After Midnight
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult
Prodigy
Rasputina
Snake River Conspiracy
Type O Negative
Zeromancer
Sorry for the long list, I have a huge music selection
Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
Acharis

Quote:
I was thinking about Bjork and things like Portishead. Low-key electronic shit seems to go over well there.
Cool! The FLIR might have something if you want a slow writhy dance.
Sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9V9x_tXztM&feature=kp
Old 07-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
Acharis

Phantogram (When I'm small) isn't bad either. Try plugging some of these into Pandora and see what you get
Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Xombie

Yesss, you guys are killin' it so far.

BourbonBoy, a lot of those bands are ones that I listen to, but I hadn't even thought to try to dance to them.

A girl already dances to When I'm Small, and yes, it is sort of like an i-own-this-song situation, haha. Some girls just really have it down with certain songs and don't want to see other chicks using them.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Acharis

I keep thinking of more things to throw in..
Excuse ^_^ I don't know the mood of the place and have never done this work, but I like music/dancing and am always happy to recommend stuff. (And am picking up some killer new music myself here.)

Trying to think what's enjoyable and has a good manageable time for moving, stuff that wouldn't be awkward or too fast. Any particular suggestions you've liked more?

I don't see any Tool here.
Muse
Jack Off Jill
Deadmau5
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Enigma (1) (2)
GOSTS (1) (2)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
Lady_Ligeia, go for it. If women give you shit for it, reply, "Hey, at least I'm getting paid for it." Besides, who are they to judge you for what you do for a living?
Genuinely curious, but why do you assume only women discriminate against sex workers?

Anyway, lots of good suggestions, but if you're looking for low key electronic stuff, have you listened to much of Janelle Monae? Her Archandroid album particularly is a lot of fun and has some weird, but not too weird songs.

I like Wondaland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FF4jcSlr9Y

And Q.U.E.E.N was my summer jam last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEddixS-UoU
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
BourbonBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Genuinely curious, but why do you assume only women discriminate against sex workers?
Partially from what I witnessed a former girlfriend go through. I dated a dancer when I was in Colorado Springs in '02/'03 and I brought her to a platoon function. The guys were fine with it, but a lot of the wives and girlfriends turned nasty when they found out what she did for a living while attending junior college. It wasn't an isolated incident either. At the company Christmas function they were just as bad, grouping together and putting their noses in the air at her while talking about her behind her back and saying it loud enough for me to hear whenever I'd go to get us drinks or use the restroom. All of the guys were always polite to her and the only women at either function that didn't judge her were the wives from Europe and East Asia.

Xombie, my ex girlfriend that was a dancer used a rotation similar to the list I added herself back in '02/'03 (man I feel old now). But this was when CD's were still used at the clubs so I'm not sure if any of them will be on your club's playlist. She used to practice at home to the music and bring them in. You could probably check your club's playlist to see what they have and decide what you want and practice at home.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Saya

I think women tend to be the most vocal when it comes to shaming, but that isnt the be all and end all of discrimination or the worst that gets done to sex workers.

I feel like im derailing but recently a guest at the hotel i work at came back from a nearby strip club with a moral dilemma. A man attacked a dancer as she was leaving and they were in a fist fight. The guest was feeling bad he didn't interfere, and had a one sided conversation with me about why he shouldn't have. He said, "well, she seemed fine and was kicking his ass. And he called her the n word so I guess he really deserves it. Well, good night!"
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #14
Xombie

Allll right, so right now my personal list is looking like this:

Burn - The Cure
Feel it - Jakalope
Change - Deftones
Sober - Tool
The Sky is Fallin - Queens of the Stone Age
Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
Lotus Flower - Radiohead
Pure Morning - Placebo

So I guess this is more of the direction I've been headed; plus, I think these are just mainstream enough to not only be included on the database, but to appeal to the customers a little more than some of the super-gothy or electronic shit. Keep in mind that I live in Bumfuck, North Carolina where everybody prefers country music.

More more more suggestions!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Acharis

Ok - not sure of what you enjoy, what image or whether you like to dance fast or slow... but how would the patrons feel about some classic rock? Sorry if it's dad music but some of it is alright and old/popular enough that the DJ might have it.

I'm thinking Van Halen (Drop Dead Legs, Poundcake, or Hot For Teacher)
and ZZ Top (La Grange, Sharp Dressed Man).

Even J Geils Band (Centerfold).

There's also Def Leppard (Pour Some Sugar On Me)
Led Zeppelin (Trampled Underfoot, Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love)

If it has to be country I'd go Gretchen Wilson (Redneck Woman) or Dwight Yoakam (Turn It On Turn It Turn Me Loose). Cheesy but you might be able to swing it.

I still think Iron Maiden
Old 06-29-2015, 05:39 AM   #16
Fasker

Trent Reznor - I wonna fuck you like an animal
Fasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #17
Bellasaria

Quote:
well, if you or anyone else are still looking for strip club music, i would strongly recommend rob zombie's 'living dead girl' or generally any of his songs as they are perfect for that imho
Bellasaria is offline   Reply With Quote