Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
chloegoth

I really have been here, I swear.

However, I haven't ever introduced myself.

I'm one of those dreaded Lurkers. I bought a paid account in 2002 or 2003, but I've just now posted in a forum. I don't even know if the forums existed when I first signed up, actually. I just signed up for the fiction and articles.

Anyway, I'm here now. I'm 24, I live in Atlanta, and I'm a graphic designer. I am married with two fish. I'm a fencer, I used to live in Chicago, I attended the University of Chicago for undergrad, and I'm currently at the Creative Circus (a design school, not clown school, I swear). I grew up in Arkansas, and though I like being in the South for the purposes of nostalgia, I'm ready to be somewhere else again. I'm thinking Baltimore. I really, really like Baltimore.

I just got a real, honest-to-God couch. It's the most marvellous thing ever. I had no idea a couch could be this excellent.

Oh, and I speak French. And I paint. And I like werewolves. And outsider art. And knitting. And cats. Um... and stuff.
chloegoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
spookypurple

Hi there!

Hope to hear more from you.

:hug:

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
WolfMoon

Welcome Chloe.

Mind the charred bits on the floor and be careful not to become one yourself.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
chloegoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Welcome, chloegoth!

If you joined a long time ago, it must've been under another name? I think the forums have been around as long as I have... I don't remember my join date, but it's probably Oct 2002 or 2003?

So, glad you've joined the forums!

I've had a couple of different user names (and honestly, I don't remember any of them), and it's been sporadic, but I seriously haven't ever posted before now. I've lurked a loooong time. I think I started visiting the site regularly in 1998, and then when it became a pay site, I bought a membership (and a t-shirt) from the gothic.net booth at Horrorfind in Baltimore, and then only used it to read the columns, and then after that, I changed my username (because it expired from lack of use after the site became free again), and then again I changed it (for much the same reason). The current one is one I've had since... erm... well, whenever it says I joined when you look at my profile. I forget.

I love the people on the forums, though. Agreeable and frustrating, both.

I think I'm rambling now. Oops.

I'm totally glad to join the forums, though! The warm well-wishing is great.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloegoth
However, I haven't ever introduced myself.

I'm one of those dreaded Lurkers. I bought a paid account in 2002 or 2003, but I've just now posted in a forum. I don't even know if the forums existed when I first signed up, actually. I just signed up for the fiction and articles.
For the SECOND time, we have NEVER had Paid Accounts.

Never.

Nope. Never.

You may have registered in 2005, 2003, or 2004, but you were not charged a fee for Membership. Darren never charged for Forum Membership, and neither do the New Admins.

Even before the Server crash in 03, there was never a charge for Forum Membership.

Not by us. It didn't happen.

Period.

Welcome all the same, but please try and get your facts clear on this issue.

Thanks.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Metatron

Quote:
Oh, and I speak French. And I paint. And I like werewolves. And outsider art. And knitting. And cats. Um... and stuff.
Vous parlez français? Ce les marques deux de nous... je ne suis pas sûr si n'importe qui autrement ici, mais c'est certainement amusement à parler de temps à autre. Ma troisième langue est l'anglais. Le Français est mon deuxième et l'Allemand est mon premier. Il est bon de vous avoir!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
spookypurple

Vous n'etes pas tout seul!

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #8
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
Vous parlez français? Ce les marques deux de nous... je ne suis pas sûr si n'importe qui autrement ici, mais c'est certainement amusement à parler de temps à autre. Ma troisième langue est l'anglais. Le Français est mon deuxième et l'Allemand est mon premier. Il est bon de vous avoir!
Moi, je parle le francais aussi!C'est bon de savoir qu'il y a quelqu'un d'autre qui pratique le francais aussi!!
Bienvenue Chloe!
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
chloegoth

Help! I'm confused!

Holy cow... what a can of worms I've opened. I think I'm just really confused about what it is I did pay for... 'Cause I got a t-shirt (which came with whatever it was I paid for) and a packet of papers, which included instructions on how to set up an account.

Alright. I paid for something, but I don't think it was forum usage. I think I paid to read articles and things. As far as I knew, it was because the site upkeep was expensive, and in order to be able to keep on reading the horror fiction posted there, it was necessary to pay. I'm totally not trying to be difficult here. I'm just trying to figure out what it was that happened way back in 2002 (or '01, or '03 or whenever it was).

At any rate, I think I might have missed the fact that there were forums for the first few years I visited the site regularly. I know I definitely have never paid to use them, so I agree - that much is true.

Pour mes amis francophiles - je suis tres enchantee (et desolee - il faut pratiquer plus, et de trouver une programme par lequel je peut utilise les accents, etc.). Si vous avez le savoir d'une programme comme ca pour le Mac, ditez-moi, s'il vous plait! Et merci en avant. Je suis hereuse d'etre ici.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #10
chloegoth

Quote:
You may have registered in 2005, 2003, or 2004, but you were not charged a fee for Membership. Darren never charged for Forum Membership, and neither do the New Admins.

Even before the Server crash in 03, there was never a charge for Forum Membership.

Thanks.
Nope, never paid for a forum (I didn't even know they existed until two years ago, anyhow). That would be silly.

I'm not trying to be difficult, serious. I'm just terribly, terribly confused.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
chloegoth

Let's try this again.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I'm a graphic design student, and an administrative assistant (but only until Dedember)

2. Where are you from?

Arkansas. Yech.

3. Who is your favorite author?

Margaret Atwood

4. What are your favorite films?

The Lost Boys, Secretary, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

Toccata #5 by Charles-Marie Widor

6. At your funeral?

Toccata #5 by Charles-Marie Widor

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Old.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

Either a big, fancy, showy one that people will remember, or an urn.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

Pajamas.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Singing out loud in public and not being looked at strangely. Well, that and the metabolism.

11. What's your favorite band?

I don't have one, but currently I'm really fond of the Mediaeval Baebes.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

I'm in graduate school right now.

13. Why did you join?

Why not? (The world needs my opinion. Seriously)
Old 03-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
WolfMoon

Was the site even around back in 1998?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #13
WolfMoon

D00d!

Quote:
I've had a couple of different user names (and honestly, I don't remember any of them), and it's been sporadic, but I seriously haven't ever posted before now. I've lurked a loooong time. I think I started visiting the site regularly in 1998, and then when it became a pay site, I bought a membership (and a t-shirt)
Pay attention, sweetie.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
WolfMoon

Okay!

Paddle or whip?

Ah, hell!

BOTH!!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #15
ExistentialDisorder

it's possible she paid for a completely different goth site, perhaps one that doesn't even exist anymore.

it's also possible she got dup'd into paying for a membership that she could have gotten for free. especially in baltimore. heh. i grew up there.

great city. much better than arkansas.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #16
chloegoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder
it's possible she paid for a completely different goth site, perhaps one that doesn't even exist anymore.

it's also possible she got dup'd into paying for a membership that she could have gotten for free. especially in baltimore. heh. i grew up there.

great city. much better than arkansas.
I loooove Baltimore. It rocks my socks (and all other items of clothing). I especially like the Visionary. I visit it every time I'm there. My hubby is from Halethorpe, so we visit often (which is just fiiine with me).

I possibly got duped... Heeh.

Actually, I thought about it, and I realized that I think I got the account with the t-shirt.

For free. (*is red in the face*)

Ah, well. I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Whatever I paid for, it's paid for, and I'll leave it at that (because I don't think I'm ever going to figure it out).

Does anybody remember the dates that went with the site themes? I'm very bad with dates... I remember a carnival theme (or was that after the spiderweb theme), I think. Or maybe the spiderweb one, whichever comes first. I'm better with visuals. So whenever it was either spiders or scary clowns. I used to just read the free horror fiction, and Gothic Miss Manners.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #17
Metatron

Quote:
Pour mes amis francophiles - je suis tres enchantee (et desolee - il faut pratiquer plus, et de trouver une programme par lequel je peut utilise les accents, etc.). Si vous avez le savoir d'une programme comme ca pour le Mac, ditez-moi, s'il vous plait! Et merci en avant. Je suis hereuse d'etre ici.
Can you use Alt key codes on mac?
Old 03-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #18
Nardol

Not to argue but...

I seem to remember an optional account that cost $15/yr at one time, perhaps as far back as '01 or '02. I don't recall what the perks were, but I also moved and didn't regain an internet connection and only recently got back to this site.

Now I'm a little irked that I didn't get a T-Shirt : (

I have never had an account with any other goth-oriented literature site or board. Personally I don't find others to be very serious about anything.

PS I liked the purple theme too, effeminate or no. I think it had black spiderwebs on a purple background.
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #19
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloegoth

Alright. I paid for something, but I don't think it was forum usage. I think I paid to read articles and things.
Which is totally separate from the Message Forum. There was no message forum back then. Only the Horror Fiction. Thats why I said there had never been a charge for the Message Forum.

It really isn't an issue though, I just wanted to clear up the difference.

You're too pretty for me to care for long anyway..

And I really want to know where you got that Yummy Corset you're wearing in the pic you posted..

It's Dead Sexy and I want one!!

No wonder your husband proposed when you were wearing it..

The Man has excellent taste..

Old 03-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #20
chloegoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
Can you use Alt key codes on mac?
I dunno... I probably know someone who knows how, though.

I could swear that there's a way to set it up so that you can switch between keyboards using certain keystrokes, but I'll have to research it a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #21
chloegoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
Which is totally separate from the Message Forum. There was no message forum back then. Only the Horror Fiction. Thats why I said there had never been a charge for the Message Forum.

It really isn't an issue though, I just wanted to clear up the difference.

You're too pretty for me to care for long anyway..

And I really want to know where you got that Yummy Corset you're wearing in the pic you posted..

It's Dead Sexy and I want one!!

No wonder your husband proposed when you were wearing it..

The Man has excellent taste..

Awwwww.... thanks! *blushes* Actually, he used it to propose, in place of an engagement ring. The top buckle has a diamond set in it. It is the most awesome thing anyone has ever given me.

The corset is custom made by Starkers corsets in Canada. Their website is www.starkers.com, and the picture of me is posted there (they ask for photos of all custom corsets they do). They do awesome work. I have a Gallery Serpentine corset which doesn't fit me as snugly as the Starkers one, and it's less comfortable to wear. They make the corsets to each person's individual measurements, so the fit is fantastic.

Alright. Enough shameless plug for now.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:39 PM   #22
bunnicula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
For the SECOND time, we have NEVER had Paid Accounts.

Never.

Nope. Never.

Not by us. It didn't happen.

Period.

Welcome all the same, but please try and get your facts clear on this issue.

Thanks.
I have a mystery to solve. I am looking for a long lost friend. Here are some clues:

Her handle on gothic.net was "vein." and she had a gothic.net email address (which no longer works)

We were friends in New Orleans in 1998-99.

She had a "net.goth" party, which I attended, where I met a man named Darren who was supposedly the owner, admin, or originator of gothic.net

She moved to Denver with Darren and his wife in 1999 or 2000.

I saw her driving at Mardi Gras 2 or 3 years ago. I was walking down the street, and she yelled to me from the car. We tried to talk, but the crowd was too loud, and we got separated by the craziness. I looked for her that night, but never found her.

Does anyone remember a person with the name "vein" posting on here? I think she used "sexbat" as well, but I 'm not sure.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #23
bunnicula

The reason I am posting this^^ is because I was looking for gothic.net, and found this other site which existed only in archives. Are they separate sites or is it because of the server crash?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #24
bunnicula

Ok, can't edit that first post, but just realized it was Halloween, not Mardi Gras. I was in costume, so I know it must have been Halloween. The street was Decatur St. and I would never have been on Decatur St. on Mardi Gras. SO....must have been Halloween.

(all runs together sometimes, especially in New Orleans
Old 03-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #25
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula
I have a mystery to solve. I am looking for a long lost friend. Here are some clues:

Her handle on gothic.net was "vein." and she had a gothic.net email address (which no longer works)

We were friends in New Orleans in 1998-99.

She had a "net.goth" party, which I attended, where I met a man named Darren who was supposedly the owner, admin, or originator of gothic.net

She moved to Denver with Darren and his wife in 1999 or 2000.

I saw her driving at Mardi Gras 2 or 3 years ago. I was walking down the street, and she yelled to me from the car. We tried to talk, but the crowd was too loud, and we got separated by the craziness. I looked for her that night, but never found her.

Does anyone remember a person with the name "vein" posting on here? I think she used "sexbat" as well, but I 'm not sure.

PM me and I'll put you in touch with someone who might know how to find her..