Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:18 PM   #201
Revolution-of-Vampyrism

Gothika, and in awhile I'm gonna watch The Last Samurai. o.o;
Gothika wasn't as cool as I was hoping. I'm hoping The Last Samurai will be good. :lol:
Revolution-of-Vampyrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:59 PM   #202
SuicideJade

the movie THE STUFF had to be the worst of all time.. a friend made me watch it many aeons ago when i was a young tweenage prep..
it's about killer yougurt that eats you from the inside out.. the animation is in claymation for goddess sakes!
you have to see this piece of shit to believe it..
it is one of the worst movies of all time next to killer klowns from outer space and the blair trick, uh i mean bitch...err witch project!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:24 AM   #203
Kingseesar

I saw the Village yesterday. I liked it a lot! I have to warn those that are interested in checking it out, though, that like all other Night Shyamalan flicks, you must expect plot twists, more plot twists, and the over all feel of the movie to change completely before the end.

Great acting (once you get to the end you see why I think that. At first it doesn't seem so great) eautiful cinematography, and of course a well placed reflection shot and a cameo by Night himself. Good stuff.

And one other strange note. I used to live near a place where the Pheonix family would eat lunch every now and then. I amnot sure if they actually lived in the area or where just regular visitors or what, but I saw them more than three times at this specific restuarant, with Rain and Leaf and their parents. I just found out (call me behind the times cause I am) that Jaoquin is the same kid as Leaf!! He just changed his name cause he thought it was dumb or something! Now I like the movie even more just because I remember seeing Leaf eating sandwhiches at this little country restuarant a few times.

How's that for stupid?

Will
Kingseesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #204
Loy

Hmmm....I actually liked "The Stuff". While the FX were cheesy (it was a low-budgeter from the 80's. What exactly DID you expect?), the film itself is fucking hilarious, which is how you're supposed to take a satire. See, "The Stuff" is a satire on capitolism and Nutrasweet (for those who are too young to remember, Nutrasweet was supposed to be a less dangerous substitute for saccharine. What a lot of companies did was add a little drop of Nutrasweet, which gave them permission to put the "nutrasweet" logo on their products, without taking OUT the saccharine. Yet nobody called these companies on it until the mid-90's), and the problem with Larry Cohen films is that they NEVER have the budgets they deserve to get their point across. It makes for sad viewing at times (check out the FX in "Q"), but if you can handle the low-budget aspect, you'll see that Cohen is actually one of our countries greater unknowns.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #205
AlKilyu

I liked Q.

We watched "The Happiness of the Katakuris" the other night. I was supposed to pick up Gozu, but they were out so I thought I'd surprise Manimal by getting another Miike film. He had gotten it from Netflix already and was going to suprise me! We were both surprised at the fact that we did not really like it. We tried, we even tried singing along to the karioke part, and the sing along near the end, but to no avail. I actually like the premise of it, and it makes me want to see the movie it was a remake of, "The Quiet Family".

Then we watched "Full Contact", a fav of mine. I saw it twice in the theater (the only one that was brave enough t show HK movies before they became well know) and loved it. I would have gone back the third night, since it was a doulbe feature with "A Better Tomorrow 2", but it had stopped it's run here by then.

In watching that we actually got a movie EPS liked, which still boggles the mind.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:29 AM   #206
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
As far as "Giant Plastic Deer Man", it's nowhere near as god-awful as "The Killer Shrews"...in fact, we should the shrews from that filmduke it ut with Giant plastic Deer Man!!!! That would be awesome!!!!!!
I tried pairing these two up, but the Wendigo, as it usually does, just stood there which pissed off the Killer Shrew that much more. Unfortunatly last I looked the Shrew had made the Wendigo his bitch and was asserting his dominance over him, as is common in the anim...

Oh boy...that's not right...

The Killer Shrew has apparently taken to "Donkey Punching" the poor Wendigo. That's just wrong, I do not condone that in anyway shape or form. I know these are demonic creatures and all, but DP'ing is just plain wrong. I'm sorry folks you had to see that, I'll get the garden hose and break these two up...
Old 08-11-2004, 09:27 PM   #207
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofatragedy
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I will never get tired of that movie.
I like the story, but I've only seen it in dubbed English, and I think the voice acting kinda sucks. I'd like to see it with subtitles, because I think it would be better that way.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:42 PM   #208
SuicideJade

i last saw May..
perfect pre dinner viewing..
two thumbs up from me

*jane*
always go for subtitles.. it's an entirely different story.. you can get 2 stories out of the same anime that way...
Old 08-15-2004, 06:27 PM   #209
.BatteryPoison.

Kill Bill (1 & 2)

I waited until I saw both (as they both make up one movie) before I gave a piece of my mind. What'd I think? Very amateurish in terms of film-making. Very unoriginal in terms of style and story. Was very unimpressed with the whole sha-bang.

This movie has six key points to it. The masacre at the church and the Bride going back and killing all 5 people involved in it. What lies between these points is filler. Lots... of filler. Not like Martin Scorsese filler, which often plays a role in character development or bares some relevance to the story at hand, but rather, standing around and bullshiting about 'How's it going' filler. At the end, there's a two minute comic book character allusion that's only there to pass the time while a drug sets in. I found myself often twirling my index fingers, waiting for things to speed up and get to a point.

As for the film-making. Horrible. Not quite as bad as Oliver Stone's 'I'm going to make you puke' style of switching things up in Natural Born Killers, but equally as annoying. I say this because there are suttle ways of doing what Tarantino attempts (and makes blatantly obvious). First off, the annoying techno video-game music that serves as an auditory mofit throughout the entire scheme. It's loud, it's obnoxious, and it calls entirelyl too much attention to it, to the point that you're pulled out of the movie because it reffers too much to a video game style of handling a show-down. In one part of volume two, the frame goes from 1:2:1 to 3:4 at a reduced size so that it's supposed to make you feel confined. This could have been done with a point of view from the ground or framing the shot in 1:2:1 with the surroundings to make it seem that way. We didn't need to shrink the screen size down by more than two-thirds to catch the concept. The animation in the first volume; could have done without it. I liked the comment that came from the guy seated next to me when he said, "Come on! I didn't pay to see a cartoon."

As much as the style of direction and the acting really bored and irked me, I did like the attention that Tarantino paid to realism in film-making. Well... to an extent. Like the fact that when you get hit in the chest with a large object or two slugs worth of rock salt, you don't immediately get back up and finishing the ass kicking. For the one on one's, the violence was realistic, but in the first volume when she was slicing and dicing 88 guys at once and walking away with little more than a scratch or two, that was a long stretch.

Story was average for a revenge story. Alot of the characters were a little too cocky and had too much attitude for me to possibly like or relate to. Dialogue suffered alot (especially for a Tarantino film). Ending felt a little too generous considering some of the encounters she had. I especially frowned on the fact that she literally punched her way out of a coffin buried six feet underound. But, all in all it's an ok movie. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone over the age of 35 though.

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
.BatteryPoison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #210
Blood_Luster

The last movie I watch was MY LITTLE EYE which is a very wicked freaky film. It's kinda like a mix of Big Brother and Series 7. But it is well worth watching, also if you get it on dvd you get some very cool special features.
Blood_Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:16 PM   #211
TeapotScar

Vampire Effect.
Loved it, the effects and ideas were great. You have to love creativity in an action comedy. Must-see.
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:14 AM   #212
Jane13

I thought about seeing that movie, but I hadn't heard anything about it. I'll have to go check it out now.

The last movie I saw was Alien vs. Predator. I took my mom to see it on her birthday (She chose the movie!), the same day it came out. IT was pretty good for a sequil, and my friend and I had some good laughs.

movie: The enemy of my enemy is my friend...

me: Well, when you're not popular, accsionally you have to settle.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 08-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #213
.BatteryPoison.

Taking Lives:

First off, let me just say that I don't see someone like Angelina Jolie being an elite FBI agent. Secondly, I don't see the Canadian government wanting FBI agents to come into their country and literally take over criminal cases that have nothing to do with Federal Crimes commited in the United States.

That being said, this film is basically Twisted, repackaged with better dialogue, acting, and premise... but that flick left alot to be desired, which doesn't say much for Taking Lives. Why? First of all, it kept all the cliches standard (ball-breaking cop, know it all female lead, psychopathic killer obsessed with the female lead, etc.), sparing it's audience nothing in terms of new developments with the style or the direction.

With the opening scenes of the film, you can instantly make a physical connection to who the killer is going to be (of the main adult cast), which leaves no room for anything to be shocking or really thrilling at all. These films are becoming more and more transparent year after year. And to think, they went to such great lengths to actually distort the voice of the killer on the trailer (while in the movie it is not), just to hide his identity. With the audience able to point out who the killer is without having to watch more than a 1/3 of the film, it sucks to lose the mystery and just be left with what little entertainment qualities can be redeemed.

There was one thing that stood out in Taking Lives that I applauded, which was an exchange between the ball-breaking detective and Jolie. While the detective is talking with the cheif about her misconducts and how she was way out of line, she suddenly steps in and says, "If you have something to say about me, say it to my face." The detective turns to Jolie and slaps her in the face, then walks away. Brilliant!

Conclusion was vague and chintzy as hell. One of those overly-elaborate "you were my puppet" kind of deals. Just a weak way to play out the end of any story because it feels like it was rushed and the writer just had no original or good ideas to go with. Oh well... it should do fine for entertainment, but don't expect to be left in awe of a great film after you lay eyes on this recycled crime thriller.

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
Old 08-21-2004, 12:50 AM   #214
gingerbreadwench

I went to see Exorcist: The Beginning today at the first showing. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to see it or not, but I have a thing about seeing movies on the opening day. I can't say too much other than it took us all back two giant steps as far as CGI goes. Ugh... the worst special effects ever seen. The movie was pretty dumb and thrown-together too. A lot of it seemed like it was just scary for scary's sake and didn't have much to do with the plot.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:52 AM   #215
VRLowKey

Yu Gi Oh. Got nagged into it by a significant under-12. Basically 3 episodes pasted together with annoying dialogue.
VRLowKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:19 AM   #216
Jane13

I took my mom to see AVP for her birthday.
Right now I'm watching MEtropolis, tha siglent film, not the anime.
-Cinema Strange
Old 08-23-2004, 10:23 AM   #217
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadwench
I went to see Exorcist: The Beginning today at the first showing. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to see it or not, but I have a thing about seeing movies on the opening day. I can't say too much other than it took us all back two giant steps as far as CGI goes. Ugh... the worst special effects ever seen. The movie was pretty dumb and thrown-together too. A lot of it seemed like it was just scary for scary's sake and didn't have much to do with the plot.
It was. I haven't seen it but the 'scary' scene were put in for just that purpose and at the last minute. There will be two versions on video; the theatrical and the first movie made before they decided to scrap it all together and start anew.

Quote:
In the first movie, Max von Sydow played Merrin, the title's aging exorcist who revealed that he had encountered the same demon during his time as a young missionary in Africa.

The "Exorcist" prequel, originally penned by "Terminator 2" co-screenwriter William Wisher Jr. and rewritten by "The Alienist" author Caleb Carr, would chronicle that early spiritual battle.

The original "Exorcist," starring Jason Miller and Max von Sydow, is considered a horror classic.
John Frankenheimer, the director of "The Manchurian Candidate" and "Black Sunday," signed on to the movie in August 2001, and soon Liam Neeson was attached to play the young Merrin.

After nearly a year of preproduction work, Frankenheimer backed out of the film in June 2002 -- just three months from the start of shooting. The ailing, 72-year-old filmmaker underwent surgery on his back and complications led to a stroke. He died almost a month later.

With no director, production was postponed two months. That cost the "Exorcist" prequel its star. Neeson quit the movie since the delay would interfere with his commitment to other movies.

Paul Schrader, the screenwriter of "Taxi Driver" and "Raging Bull" and director of "Affliction" and "Auto Focus" took over from Frankenheimer. Although his worked tended to explore the dark and hidden intimacies of life, Schrader did have a cult favorite with the erotic horror-thriller "Cat People" in 1982.

Stellan Skarsgard, whose credits included "Good Will Hunting" and "Deep Blue Sea," stepped into the Merrin role. Skarsgard wasn't as big a name, but he shared von Sydow's Swedish background and looked more like him than Neeson.

Things seemed to be back on track, and filming began in Morocco in late November 2002. Schrader says he inherited Frankenheimer and Carr's approach to the story.

"The thought at that time was do more of a character piece about the young Merrin, and less of what we would refer to as spinning heads and the pea soup," Schrader told The Associated Press. "There was almost no way to compete with 'The Exorcist' on a horror ground with all its imitators and parodies."

The script by Carr and Wisher was more spooky than gross-out, according to Schrader, and contrasted the original movie, in which child actress Linda Blair became a disfigured ghoul during the possession.

"Carr had fashioned an African boy who was afflicted, who was deformed and became possessed, and as he was progressively possessed became perfected," Schrader said. "I liked that idea, but it did effectively remove the engine from the horror vehicle. You no longer had a poor pathetic thing being tortured."

Schrader had finished everything but the music when he turned over his final cut of the movie to Morgan Creek Productions chief James G. Robinson last year. The result did not go over well with the boss.

"In the end, he decided they should have made a more conventional horror film," Schrader said.

Schrader found himself fired. And Morgan Creek had an all-but finished "Exorcist" prequel that it didn't want. A series of directors were approached to shoot new scenes that might punch up the scare factor.

Harlin, who made the horror movies "Deep Blue Sea" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master," had a longshot proposal: re-shoot Schrader's entire movie, replace some actors, drop characters and revise the plot.

That didn't go over well, either. At least, not right away.

"They said, 'See you later!' And I thought I was home free," Harlin said. "So I went home and started relaxing and all the sudden I got a call and they said, 'We really thought about your idea of redoing the whole movie and that's a really great idea. Let's do it."'

Counting the $35 million that Schrader had already spent, Harlin's remake pushed the total cost reportedly north of $90 million.

While most of the other actors were replaced, Skarsgard kept the Merrin role -- but he changed his approach.

"The first one we did was more of a psychological thriller, basically about a man in crisis," Skarsgard told the AP. "For the Renny Harlin movie ... I changed the performance, I even changed the makeup actually. You have to adapt to the material and the kind of film you're doing. I think I went much darker in the Schrader version."

Shortly after starting the movie from scratch, Harlin was struck by a car in Rome and his leg was pulverized. He spent the remainder of the shoot on crutches nursing crushed bones that are still held together by 14 metal pins.

He walked the red carpet at Wednesday's premiere for "Exorcist: The Beginning," but the injury still pains him.

The movie, meanwhile, did not screen for critics until the day before its release. Harlin said it was only finished a few days ago, but such a block on reviews is common when a studio believes a film won't play well with critics.

Whether fans prefer Schrader's more cerebral version or Harlin's scarier take may be decided on home video. Both films will likely turn up on the DVD in the coming months.

Schrader wants his film to be seen, but is cynical about the combo DVD package.

"The reason my version will see the light of day, if it does, is not because of fan push, or any high motivations," he said. "It's just because there's a buck to be made."

Exorcist III is a great fucking movie and should have been called II. There is some images in that I find brillant.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:28 PM   #218
Jane13

I definitely liked one and three the best... maybe it goes good, bad, good, bad, good... they should make another one so we can test the hypothesis...
-Cinema Strange
Old 08-23-2004, 05:44 PM   #219
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Donnie Darko for the second time.

Regardless of what everyone else says, I didn't notice that much I didn't catch the first time.

Except now I know what the deal was with Gretchen and Donnie's mom. And I wonder how in the world I missed it before.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:37 PM   #220
.BatteryPoison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
I’d like to add my two coppers to this fine critique…one thing that pisses me off while watching movies is picking up the in your face clues that the strong female/male supersleuth yes Holmes was your daddy 666 IQ you’re looking at the cat that schooled Bobby Fisher – oh so confidently miss.

This movie had potential, but went awry as soon as the story turned from psychological thriller to Jolie needs some dick. There was a great angle they could have played with the psychopathic bit, which was started during the first questioning round, and the main character seemed to be going in the right direction to continue the mystique and then it went to one-upmanship of who does a better sex scene.

My money’s on Billy Bob and Hallster, shit. Now that was intense.

But I digress. This movie isn’t bad, it’s abysmal. It has fair acting, good eye candy, but that’s just the outside packaging. There isn’t anything, actually, in the package. No story, no motivation, no meaning to anything. If you’re looking for a good way to mutilate your day or night, have gotten tired of pouring drano down your throat and salting your gnash, the by all means, watch Taking Lives.
LOL...
The inevitable romp scene lasted forever. Usually it's like a quick 30 seconds of some nice fades, you get the concept, and the story moves on. Here you have like a minute and a half of Hawk pumping Jolie to the point where it's borderline porno.

This movie is exactly why when someone starts writing good screen plays, they'll be up for the Nobel Prize for acts of humanitarianism.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #221
TeapotScar

"Simply Irresistable". ugh if anybody can explain to me why I sat through this god-awful movie with god-awful acting and NO changes of the outfit for Ms. Gellar... gross.
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:38 PM   #222
Jane13

Has anyone seen thae show "Mystery Science Theater 3000"? So often I am reminded of a scene where these kids are dancing. The malt-shop owner comes out from behind the counter and says "No dancing! Not allowed!", so the robots say, "No acting! Not allowed!".
-Cinema Strange
Old 08-24-2004, 06:56 PM   #223
gingerbreadwench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Has anyone seen thae show "Mystery Science Theater 3000"? So often I am reminded of a scene where these kids are dancing. The malt-shop owner comes out from behind the counter and says "No dancing! Not allowed!", so the robots say, "No acting! Not allowed!".
One of the best shows ever. EVER. Unfortunately, I can no longer catch it on. Is it available anywhere on DVD? I need to check on that...
Old 08-24-2004, 10:47 PM   #224
AlKilyu

MST3K is on video/dvd, but it's not the same.

Xnguela: You like French films, get Haute Tension (High TEnsion). Thanks to the great Loy, I found the only place you can get it in the U.S. until it comes out in the theater next year is www.scarecrow.com.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:52 PM   #225
Loy

As far as fucked-up frenchies, allow me to add the works of Michael Haeneke and Francois Ozon, along with "In My Skin"