Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:01 AM   #1476
chloegoth

I finally saw Memoirs of a Geisha.

I think I will now have to go read the book...
chloegoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #1477
Pathogen.

*The Killing [1956]. Directed by Stanley Kubrick. [1 of his first films & it had to be a Film Noir flick. Pretty damn good one, too. My roommate thought it was boring. "Eyes Wide Shut", Kubrick's last film. Now that was hella boring!]
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #1478
spookypurple

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I know it's got lots of naughty words, but it does make me laugh..!

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #1479
Beowulf

Cool

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923 Directed by Wallace Worsley)

Deaf and half-blind, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, feared & rejected by the people of Paris, becomes the unlikely protector of a poor gypsy girl.

Lon Chaney, master of disguise, solidified his celebrity with his portrayal of Quasimodo, the deformed bell-ringer, who is forever cut off from any semblance of a normal life. Although his makeup is certainly horrific, Chaney's role is not really monstrous: he is a lonely human desperately misused by Fate. Chaney's face speaks for him, communicating the tormenting anguish of his soul. While not quite as poignant as Charles Laughton's interpretation 16 years later, Chaney still makes of the role a Silent hallmark which has stood the test of time. IMDB

This is one of my favourite silent films, starring the man with a thousand faces!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #1480
Pathogen.

*The Red House [1947] [another Film Noir classic; starring Edward G. Robinson plays a farmer with a wooden leg who does everything in his power to prevent his adopted daughter & his farm hand from finding out the secrets of a forbidden red house in the woods; Robinson goes 5150 in this flick!]
Old 04-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #1481
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I know it's got lots of naughty words, but it does make me laugh..!
"LADIES! LADIES! LADIES! JAY & SILENT BOB ARE IN THE HIZZOUSE!!"

"POPPING PILLS/DRINKING BEERS/SMOKING WEED/SMOKING WEED----"

I love that flick! Has me rolling, too!! 1 of Kevin Smith's best!! And Eliza Dushku is in it, too!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #1482
Phayte

Ice Age 2

I love cartoons
~William Shakespeare
Phayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #1483
Binkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayte
Ice Age 2

I love cartoons
Yeah, this one was pretty good. Though some of the innuendos like the "wild ass" remarks and the use of the word "dam" kinda had me looking around at the kids in the audience, wondering if they even understood the connotations.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #1484
Loy

ExDis-Again, you have shown why your opinion about films should be taken as seriously as the Stones yearly retirement announcements.

Let me get this straight (pun totally intended), you're problem with "Brokeback" is that, because it was made by a bunch of breeders, there was a "lack of understanding" about how fags feel when they fall in love? Wow, how fucking retarded of you. Sorry, but love is love is love is love. Simple as that. When two people fall in love (or lust), it's no different from when 2 other people fall in love (or lust).

The only thing that does differentiate the experiences is all the extrenuous stuff (histoy, background, how others deal with it, etc etc), and whilst you can make an argument that the film-makers breeder status excludes them from this type of understanding, this is an argument that makes people who live in the real world laugh at your ignorance. Sorry, but every homo, dyke, and fence-sitter I know who has seen the movie have all agreed that it is extremely true to life (especially the refugees from Republican controlled areas such as Texas and Montana). And every breeder I know was able to understand what was happening on screen, and understand why the characters acted the way they did. Sorry, but that pulls the rug out of your "breeders can't understand fags" argument.

As I've said before, the problem with "queer cinema" is that a lot of it spends so much time defining itself by its queerness that it forgets to do its job as cinema, which is to connect with the viewer (and this isn't a hard-fast rule. I mean, "My Own Private Idaho" is one of the greatest films ever made). The fact that "Bareback Mountain" tries to be a great film first, and a queer story second, isn't neccesarilly a bad thing.

And to explain something to you....your thing about how this was "intended" for straight audiences....maybe you have no idea who the fuck Ang Lee is. Well, you can easilly go to IMDB and look up his history as a film-maker. What this history will tell you is this-Ang Lee is a giant. Now, while his films don't make the type of bank Spielbergs do, his is a style closer to Scorcese's-he's known for making great films that get a lot of attention and awards. With this in mind, he's allowed to make whatever the hell he wants as long as the costs are kept low. And he doesn't have to kowtow to "audience expectations".....in other words, he wasn't making this for a "straight" audience, but for "audiences" in general. And if you didn't care for it, I don't think it would have broken Lee's heart at all.

This reminds me of my throwing my TV out my window when "Crash" won for best picture, and all my anger at audiences who actually like crap like "Crash", and I have this to say-YOU are the reason American films suck these days. Remember that before you open your mouth about films again (or, really, anytime you open your mouth). I don't mean to sound like a snob about this, but as I've said to plenty of people shocked by my love for the "Mummy" movies, it's OK to like good films, and it's OK to like bad films, you just have to know the difference between the two. Differentiating between crap and genius is something you've proven an inability to do over and over again.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #1485
Beowulf

Cool

Dracula (1931, Directed by Tod Browning)

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music *they* make."

This is an absolute classic, one of my favourite films from the `Universal Monster series`.

"Dracula was directed by Tod Browning, with a screenplay based on the stage play by John L. Balderston. The title role was played by Bela Lugosi. Also starring in the film were David Manners as Jonathan Harker, Helen Chandler as Mina Seward and Dwight Frye as Renfield.

The onset on the Great Depression caused a drastic reduction in the budget for the film, and several grand scenes that closely followed the Stoker storyline, had to be abandoned. It was considered less expensive to stage the film using Balderston's stage play as its basis. Lugosi's portrayal became the one by which he was most remembered and despite his earlier stage successes in a variety of roles, typecast him. The eerie speech pattern of Lugosi's "Dracula" was said to have resulted from the fact that Lugosi did not speak English, and therefore had to learn and speak his lines phonetically. This, however, is urban legend; Lugosi spoke English as well as he ever would by the time the film was made. Lugosi however was not the first choice to play the role. It had been intended as a vehicle for Lon Chaney but Chaney died before the project began.

The film was a great success, and newspapers reported that members of the audiences fainted in shock at the horror onscreen. This publicity, shrewdly orchestrated by the film studio, helped ensure people came to see the film, if for no other reason than curiosity.

It was one of the three films (with Frankenstein and The Wolf Man) that formed the bedrock of Universal Studios' horror movie series of the 1930s and 1940s." Source

What I love about these films, and this film in particular is the atmosphere and feel of the film and the mis-en-scene which is reminiscent of a german expressionist film, but then they were made by the some of the people who had worked on the expressionist films in Germany. Also Bela Legosi became Dracula when he played the role, which added an dimension to his character.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #1486
tenet_2012

I am currently watching Narnia.

I forgot just how much I hate this movie.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #1487
A Simple Poet

I finished watching Dr. Strangelove for the first time in its continous entirety (I've watched pieces of it out of order before) last night. It amazes me to see how people were so bent about being nuked in the late sixties and how all of that concern has seemingly evaporated these days. Now we are more agitated by a computer virus and distant or local terrorism than nuclear war...(yes, the nukes are still out there...)
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #1488
A Simple Poet

I would have to believe, if talking about the American attitude towards the possibility of Global Thermal Nuclear War, the general indifference of our increasingly self absorbed population is likely to blame. It is interesting you allude to a herd mentality.

When the mainstream entertainment media is constantly drilling it into the minds of people that "It's all about you", it is very easy to forget that there are other people in the world who have weapons who want to kill you. I'd wager that many people nowadays are so very much out of touch that they may not know who the major players are/were in the nuclear arms race.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #1489
Pathogen.

Three.

On Friday night:

*The Killing [1956]. Directed by Stanley Kubrick. [That Film-Noir flick kicks ass!!]
*Killer's Kiss [1954]. Directed by Stanley Kubrick. [Another 1 of Kubrick's early flicks & Film-Noir. I like the story: A boxer comes to the rescue of a woman beaten by her abusive nightclub owner boyfriend & falls in love. But the jealous nightclub owner retaliates by sending hired thugs with guns after the boxer & his girlfriend.]

Last night before bedtime:

*Memento [2001]. It was my 3rd time seeing this. And it still confuses the hell out of me.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #1490
Mr E Nigma

Take the Lead. Pretty good movie.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #1491
[dark matter]

Meh..I watched Saw and Saw 2 on Friday. Im not a big fan of horror/suspence movies, but those movies were pretty good. Except for the Puppet, that thing was creepy. And they were kind of gorey.
[dark matter] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #1492
Pathogen.

The Lady From Shanghai [1947]. [Film-Noir classic directed by & starring Orson Welles. Redheaded Rita Hayworth's blond in this one. Still a hottie! Kicks hella ass!]
Old 04-10-2006, 12:32 AM   #1493
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofatragedy
King Kong

Oh lord did I cry like a baby at the end....

*Shame
EYESOFATRAGEDY: Which version? The original 1933 version with Fay Wray, the 1976 remake with Jessica Lange or the new remake with Naomi Watts & Jack Black?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #1494
Morrigan_Dubh

I watched "The Cell" last night. I was pleasantly surprised. But that's just because I thought it was going to be an unholy pile of offensive tat, with no redeeming aspects whatsoever. It turned out to have one redeeming aspect - the imagery and special effects were pretty.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #1495
delusional_fairy_goddess4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Dubh
That's not creepy at all, my darling. That shows good taste. He's a peach.
If you find guys in their 20s attractive now, then wait until you are in your 40s and I am sure you will still have plenty of crushes on 20-something boys.
i guess you're right about that, but she acts like a 12 or 13-year-old when she watches his movies. she even has his picture as the wallpaper on our computer and she stares at it constantly.
that's the part that creeps me out.
delusional_fairy_goddess4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #1496
Pathogen.

Three.

*Gilda [1946]. [Rita Hayworth's best remembered film role; also 1 of my favourite Film-Noir flicks]
*The Notorious Bettie Page [2006].
*The Killers [1946]. [Burt Lancaster's & Ava Gardner's 1st film and they get top-billing; this Film-Noir flick kicks ass!]
Old 04-12-2006, 01:32 AM   #1497
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
I am currently watching Narnia.

I forgot just how much I hate this movie.

You're just too awesome for your own good.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #1498
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusional_fairy_goddess4
i guess you're right about that, but she acts like a 12 or 13-year-old when she watches his movies. she even has his picture as the wallpaper on our computer and she stares at it constantly.
If she starts running her fingernail down his pixelated chin and cooing, I'd call someone.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #1499
CreepyTendencies

KatieBird - extremely disturbing flick.
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #1500
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusional_fairy_goddess4

Hehe...Your mom sounds like fun! although I suppose if that was my mother I might be a bit freaked out too. But on the other hand at least she sounds like a mother who you could talk to about boys with, if you wanted to.