Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #26
Cambodian Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Actually the US uses it in their weapons. They then use the weapons to distribute the stuff around the globe. They have dropped tonnes of it in Iraq already. But thats getting off topic.
What are you talking about. We havent used any in Iraq.
Cambodian Breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #27
CptSternn

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0515/p01s02-woiq.html

Remains of toxic bullets litter Iraq

...During the latest Iraq conflict Abrams tanks, Bradley fighting vehicles and A-10 Warthog aircraft, among other military platforms, all fired the DU bullets from desert war zones to the heart of Baghdad.

I can find more for you if you want.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #28
Binkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambodian Breakfast
What are you talking about. We havent used any in Iraq.
He's probably talking about Depleted Uranium (a predictably common arguement). Mael and I had a pow-wow about this a few months back. He was trying to suggest that DU munitions were highly radioactive (they are fractionally radioactive - to the point of being insignificant) and caused people to get sick cause it has a half-life of 4.8 million years. On the contrary, the UN's WHO has done extensive testing on the effects of DU munitions used in Kosovo and found that it isn't linked to any notable health effects in humans. They continue to test in Iraq, but adhere to the same conclusions.

In case he says otherwise, if that is indeed what he's talking about, point him here:

http://www.who.int/ionizing_radiatio...ranium_Eng.pdf
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #29
Crom Crauch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Dubh
Nuclear power? Do you really want a nuclear power plant in your back garden?

China, eh? Interesting... Can you elaborate?
I actually wouldn't terribly mind. Chernobyl was an example of nuclear power with very poorly maintained equipment. Oh yeah, there's actually less radiation from a properly sheilded nuclear reactor then from a coal -fired power plant... assuming that you live downwind from either plant.

Yeah, China... the nation that is rapidly industrializing, and as such is sucking away much of the oil from OPEC, as well as an increasing demand for raw materials and scrap metals. China is currently consuming 325 million tons of crude oil, and importing around 119 million tons of crude oil. (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_4501206.htm)
In retrospect, the USA is importing 13.5 million barrels per day, and is consuming around 20.03 million barrels per day. (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/us.html)

Iucunda macula est ex inimici sanguine

Quod sum eris
Crom Crauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #30
Cambodian Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkie
He's probably talking about Depleted Uranium (a predictably common arguement). Mael and I had a pow-wow about this a few months back. He was trying to suggest that DU munitions were highly radioactive (they are fractionally radioactive - to the point of being insignificant) and caused people to get sick cause it has a half-life of 4.8 million years. On the contrary, the UN's WHO has done extensive testing on the effects of DU munitions used in Kosovo and found that it isn't linked to any notable health effects in humans. They continue to test in Iraq, but adhere to the same conclusions.

In case he says otherwise, if that is indeed what he's talking about, point him here:

http://www.who.int/ionizing_radiatio...ranium_Eng.pdf
Your are right. We do use Depleted Uranium rounds in one of our aircraft. I have held this 30mm round. Didn't kill me. We also can use them in some of our anti-tank rifles. But that's really it.
Cambodian Breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 AM   #31
Morrigan_Dubh

The BBC have an infomative page on DU, if anyone wants to know more. It's old but still relevant for background information.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...um/default.stm
Old 05-04-2006, 08:37 AM   #32
angel_dark_demon_bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
The US might have more landmass than say Europe, but how is it then if you add all the European countries together with a comparable population you don't even get close to matching the amount of oil the US consumes? Take a look at the chart in the link at the beginning of this thread. Hell, you can take most all industrialised nations and add them up and its almost the same as the US dependancy.

It's not some freak accident. To say its because of population, size, or otherwise is silly.
Yes, but not all of europe is suddenly and completly converting to green energy. Its being done slowly by individual countrys with a much smaller population and land area than the US. And as Ive said before the US is starting to use more green fuel already, you may not hear about it much, but then, you're half a world away.

It seems the great and all knowing is not as great and all knowing as he has been lead to beleive.
angel_dark_demon_bright is offline   Reply With Quote