Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

View Poll Results: Whats your fave type of music?
rock 56 35.22%
punk 24 15.09%
heavy metal 69 43.40%
nu-metal 8 5.03%
pop 2 1.26%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2004, 05:33 AM   #26
wrightroll

Ok, first off I don't do many of the popular bands like the cure, sisters, or some of the others mentioned, but I will give them credit where it is due. They attract people to the gothic subculture and keep it alive; however my list of fav. bands lies in the more obscure like Beborn Beton, Cruxshadows, Wolfsheim, And One, and Kie La Vez. If any of you like thesse underground style bands, and want to know of more IM or email me and I will suggest others. (fav popular goth band: Depeche Mode)
wrightroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:46 AM   #27
Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightroll
And One
Their lyrics are a desaster. Maybe I'd think better of that band if I wouldn't understand them.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:27 AM   #28
wrightroll

And One is a unique band as they have some of my favorite songs, but also some I vehemently dislike. They are on my list as a great band because they do walk across many different genres of music, i.e. pop (andone), techno(panzer mensch), classical??(Lawrence of arabia), and my favorite, and the ones I don't know how to classify(Men in uniform). They also earn my respect for being able to do both german and english songs with the same quality; I find that many bands that do songs in more than 1 language are only good in one, not both.
wrightroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #29
Black|Oleander

Is Gothic Metal a part of "Heavy Metal"?

I couldn't really say which is my favourite band because I like so many genres of music (black metal, death metal, speed metal, gothic and gothic metal etc.). It would be either of these:
My Dying Bride, Dimmu Borgir, In Flames, Darkest Hour, Bauhaus or, ofcourse, The Cure.
Black|Oleander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:21 PM   #30
Siege

hmm, lets see you say "heavy metal" in one choice, but "numetal" in a seperate one. Although I don't believe numetal (or rapcore for that matter) even remotely deserves to be classified as metal, it still is a metal genre. But onto specifics, my favorite genres are Power, Death, Black and Industrial. But I think the best band ever is Queen.
Siege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:16 AM   #31
cutter666

Mmmm my favourite band has to be......N*Sync.
Wait a minute guys n girls, i was just messing with you. My real favoutire band has to be Bowling for Soup. I know they're not goth or anything but i love them. They're so funny.
cutter666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:28 AM   #32
MrMaelstrom

Don't know Bowling for Soup, but I love the name already.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:08 AM   #33
Lacertion357

BEST BAND

THE BEST FUCKIN BAND IN THE WORLD EVER TO BE IS BY FAR CRADLE OF FILTH
Lacertion357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 05:34 AM   #34
cutter666

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
Don't know Bowling for Soup, but I love the name already.

They're a punk band from Texas. They have the best songs, don't take themselves seriously and are even better live than on CD. Don't get me wrong, their CD's are brilliant but live, let's just say that if I had died at that gig, I would have died a very happy little girl.
cutter666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:45 AM   #35
deadzenmen418

Considering the website….. The only two bands I can think of that never put out a bad album (and barely a weak song) are Joy Division and Bauhaus. The Sisters started strong and died. The Banshees kicked ass and got soft. 45 Grave started out well and became a parody. Over all and in the end, in my opinion, there is only ONE perfect deathrock album that still after 22 years eclipses all others - Only Theatre Of Pain by Christian Death. From the first creepy note to the last hollow drum, that album is as solid as deathrock gets. Between Rozz's cathartic need to explore the dark side of life and religion to Rikk Agnew's unparalleled guitar work and everything in between, it blows all else away. Most goth is so predictable and formulaic but this album never gets old.
deadzenmen418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:55 AM   #36
osiddian

As for the best band ever, I am unsure of who I would pick, but the beatles come to mind. I think that they have had the most influence in creating an open door for bands today.
However, my favorite bands as of today would have to be Death Cab for Cutie, the Mars Volta, Lacuna Coil, HIM, and the Distillers. I also love Goldfrapp and Lovage... very sexy sounding bands.
osiddian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #37
Monsosin

What?

:twisted: Who ever said Static-x sucks I will hunt you down and break your legs. Who doesn't love Evil Disco. Static-x, Manson, Distillers, COF you know who I m talking about, Zombie, Finger Elevin, and so many more you would go poopie if I mentioned them all. Static-X is still and always be number 1. :twisted:
Monsosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 03:32 PM   #38
WolfMoon

tuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege
hmm, lets see you say "heavy metal" in one choice, but "numetal" in a seperate one. Although I don't believe numetal (or rapcore for that matter) even remotely deserves to be classified as metal, it still is a metal genre. But onto specifics, my favorite genres are Power, Death, Black and Industrial. But I think the best band ever is Queen.
OMFG!!I love you!!Queen is my all time favorite.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #39
December_Rose

Korn is industrial? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Whoever told you to listen to some Throbbing Gristle was absolutely right. Anyways, I think there's a HUGE difference between "greatest band of all time" and "my favorite band" if I had to pick something as the greatest band of all time I would have to say The Velvet Underground.
December_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #40
OnMyOwn

first off i cant believe that you said korn is industrial. Ok i think joy division is the best band and then come the others such as the cure,siouxie and the banshees,bauhaus,and the sisters of mercy.
Other bands that i love are AFI,Queen,and HIM
But Joy Division and The Cure will always be #1 :twisted:
OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #41
Skrabrug

Bloody Dead & Sexy is the best band ever

www.deathrock.com has info about them and other deathrock bands
Skrabrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:02 PM   #42
anti_everything

Well, Nirvana, silly.

Okay, go ahead and kill me now. But be creative.
anti_everything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:36 PM   #43
Lazarus

My favs are: the Cure, NIN, Type o Negative, Manson, Ministry, Pantera,Bauhaus,Genitorturers, Fear Factory, Lacuna Coil, Tool...just to name a few
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:15 PM   #44
SuicideJade

R.E.M..
i have never met... erm heard an R.E.M song that i did not absolutley love..
and tied with it are the Cure..
same story as above...
Old 04-23-2004, 01:52 PM   #45
Gypsy2222

Well… considering this thread has been resurrected after two months I might as well add to the mayhem… Some of my favorite bands… Das Ich, Feindflug, Wumpscut, (notice a trend here?) Houjobb, VNV Nation, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Faith and the Muse, NIN, etc… For a more complete list, go to my extensive music list link…..

Two things before I leave…. Korn industrial?… LMAO…... Oh, and we forgot to list Gothic Darkwave, Gothic Ambient, Industrial, Industrial Dance amongst several other categories…..

Always,
~The Gypsy~
Old 04-28-2004, 07:30 AM   #46
tickingstitch

The Cure has been my meat for quite some time. All time best band, no question, followed up by Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Dead can Dance, and Claire Voyant. Off Topic Oingo Boingo is a love too. MM Blows in my opinion.

4 days till I see them again. Woohoo!

Idiom of Sad rules! www.hellwire.com.

Aim: K143rsjrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Oh shit!!!*tries to run away, but trips, he breaks his neck on a stool*No I know how Hilary Swank feels like.
tickingstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:03 PM   #47
Emptysoul

Well i donthave one fave band there are a couple of them tied.. Okay so there is HIM, AFI, Bush, and Linkin Park, Im sure there are more tied in the top but my mind just went blank...lol
Emptysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:45 AM   #48
the_darker_dead

MY God

Slipnot hands down has to be my fav band

finally may 25th
stay sic f*cks
the_darker_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:03 PM   #49
Loy

Best band ever? Hmm.....any of Miles Davis' bands. My picks would be for either the "Round Midnight" group (Davis, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, Philly Jones, and John "The FUCKING Man!!!" Coltrane) or the "Seven Steps" group (Davis, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, and Herbie Hancock), but really, this is Miles Davis we're talking about. You can't really go wrong with the guy who is one of the two coolest people to ever exist (Clint Eastwood being the other one).

But I'd also toss these guys out there as being great-

Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, anything with Steve Albini (Big Black/Rapeman/Shellac), the Gira/Jarboe conspiracy web (Swans/Angels Of Light/Beautiful People Ltd/Bodylovers/World Of Skin/etc), Public Enemy, the Wu-Tang Clan, N.W.A./Dr Dre, pre-"Dirty" Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Modest Mouse, pre-1975 Stones, Sex Pistols/PIL, ABBA, Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly and the Crickets, the Angry Samoans, Circle Jerks, pre-"Slip It In" Black Flag, the Adolescents, Outkast, Postal Service, Joy Division/New Order, Pretty Girls Make Graves, My Bloody Valentine, the Spits, Ramones, the Cure, Brian Eno's solo stuff, Guitar Wolf, Turbonegro (or TRBONGR, for you purists out there), Bing Crosby, the Glenn Miller Orchestra, Husker Du/Sugar/Bob Mould/Grant Hart, Minor Threat/Embrace/Rites Of Spring/Fugazi, pre-"Psalm 69" Ministry and all their bastard offspring (Revco, Pailhead, Lard, 1,000 Homo DJ's, et all), Depeche Mode/Erasure, the Saint Bushmills Choir, Suffering And The Hideous Thieves, Justin Broadrick's works (early Napalm Death/early Head Of David/Godflesh), Throbbing Gristle and all their bastard children (Coil/Psychic TV/Chris And Cozy), Einsturzende Neubauten, Pussy Galore/Boss Hog/Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Robert Johnson, Wire, The "Fucking" Rapture, Cabaret Voltaire, Cannibal Corpse, Iron Maiden, Slayer, AC/DC, the Girls, the Epoxies, SPK, Skinny Puppy (aside from that horrible, horrible last album)/the Tear Garden, Rotten Apples, Throwing Muses, R.E.M., Nick Drake, the Silver Apples, Chemical Brothers, the Feelies, Jay-Z, 2Pac, the Smiths, the Shins, Treepeople, Gang Of Four, Scratch Acid/Jesus Lizard, Beat Happening, Guided By Voices (or, to be honest, Guided By Vodka), the Pixies/the Breeders, Iggy Pop/the Stooges, the Blood Brothers, Nation Of Ulysses, Television, Kinski/Herzog, Miranda Sex Garden, Mission Of Burma, Galaxie 500/Luna/Damon and Naomi, the Melody Unit, Steve Knouse-era Faith And Disease, Dead Milkmen, Wesley Willis, Massive Attack, Everything But The Girl, Beth Orton, Crystal Method, Dizzie Gilespie, Rocket From The Crypt/Drive Like Jehu/Hot Snakes, Trance To The Sun, Slowdive, Jesus And MAry Chain, Love Spirals Downward, Low, Codeine, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Cocteau Twins, Dead Boys/Lords Of The New Church, and many many more you've probably never heard of.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:13 PM   #50
bloody_sabbath

hmm lets see... lets go through the old music list...

cryptopsy, decapitated, deftones, dimmu borgir, dying fetus, fear factory, korn, linkin park, meshuggah, metallica, mudvayne, mushroomhead, NIN, obituary, ozzy, powerman 5000, rammstein, rob zombie, slipknot, static-x, taproot, tool, white zombie

ya...that about sums it up
bloody_sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote