Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-24-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
wanabeegothguy

any wannabee goths?!

hi everyone
i'm not really goth - and am mostly looking for other wannabee goths like my self. I.e. normal boring guy/girl who likes the bizar of goth, but don't practise it besides going to concerts and listen to NIN ;-)

W
wanabeegothguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
unedifying

Hmmm... you know, I think you're the only non-Gothic person here.
unedifying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
PoupeeCelestia

Location: Lapiland =) quite a nice place with purple mountains and that kind of stuff...
Nah unedifying, thatīs not it. Maybe there are more posers/quantum goths here than which we thought , after all this community itīs getting famous, and itīs easy to find in search engines.

And...this guy could be just a troll. Arenīt you wannabegoth?.

But well, if what you want is to become "oh so goth" then go check this and then come back. (XD)
http://www.the-night.net/silly/steps.htm
PoupeeCelestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
roserougesang

Heh, that was an amusing link.

Oh, just thought you'd like to know wannabeegothguy, there's three kinds of people on here, the goths, the non-goths (like you, i'm sorry to say) and the goths in denial (le sigh, if only dear Mr Eldritch was on here)
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
PoupeeCelestia

Location: Lapiland =) quite a nice place with purple mountains and that kind of stuff...
Being serious now, you really donīt need to be "oh so goth" to be part of a community. Calling yourself a wannbegoth makes me think you are mature enoff to recognize it, instead of being childish trying to show anywhone else how goth you are.
Go to the Introductions sections and talk a little bit more about yourself, so we can get to know you better =).
PoupeeCelestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
unedifying

lol

I always think of people who call themselves wannabe goth's as the middle school children who can't make up their minds. Perhaps that is because the only people I knew calling themselves wannabe goths fit into that category; and they all ended up being a bunch of Scensters.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
And I say, you must have a very small ego and a very very loooooooooooow selfesteam to call yourself wannabe goth.
Do you WANT to be a wannabe goth? If so, then really, go check that absolutely wonderfull and hillarious link from PoupeeCelestia. That would make you into a wannabe goth.

Oh, and excusez-moi, but what DO you mean by "practice" goth? HUH?
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
unedifying

Quote:
Oh, and excusez-moi, but what DO you mean by "practice" goth? HUH?

Yeah. Explain to me how you practice a lifestyle/personality.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Splintered

Uh..
How do you practice a lifestyle/personality?
Um.... I don't know.
You read up on Wikipedia on the lifestyle, and act like it...
Not to be offensive or anything, but that seems rather easy to me. Just act like the common characteristics of the culture, and you're practicing it.
Splintered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

Calling onself a "wannabe goth" is better than calling oneself a goth and not knowing what it is about. I agree with Celestia in how great it is to recognize it.
Calling oneself a wannabe is awesome, too. Demonista - beautiful past Gnetter - always called herself a wannabe while I called myself a cliché.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
unedifying

Quote:
Just act like the common characteristics of the culture, and you're practicing it.

Unless I misunderstood, I thought the word practise was being used not in the context of, say, 'being in the medical practise' but 'practising riding a bike.'

Ah well. Perhaps I just don't know enough about these labels; mostly I call myself a Morgan. It's quite simple that way, really.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #12
UltraNEO*

Personally i never got with the Goth thing. And what's it all about? Worst still, why are there so many other people wanna be apart of something, that I see as being nothing more than a personal statement. i don't mean a trend or a fashion fad that's just created by media hype. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone.

I've always been me.. slightly too expressive, bespoken, but that's me, not a wanna be. Guess at least I'm honest.

(umm.. it made sense in my little mind...)

"Listen when your hurting someone, don't think of the pain he feels, only concentrate on the pleasure of causing him pain. That's the only way to show true compassion for your partner." - taken from Korosiya Ichi
UltraNEO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #13
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by unedifying
Unless I misunderstood, I thought the word practise was being used not in the context of, say, 'being in the medical practise' but 'practising riding a bike.'
Everytime I've seen it used towards a culture, it's been like:
"I practice Wiccanism" or "I practice Christianity", or "I practice Nazism".
Splintered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
wanabeegothguy

wow... Did'nt realize i started so much fuzz... oh... well... i'm not goth! that's for sure... but i like to shop in the big old “lifestyle store”... trying to convince myself that i put together my own unique me ;-). I guess I just seek people like me… I know they most be out there!

To me goth is mostly music and sex!

Something I don’t feel good about exposing all that much – I have had a good deal of girls with that attitude towards the subculture … and I thought that this place could be a good place to find friends like that… after all – global village and all that shit!?

I do understand if some people thinks it underminds the Goth-Subcultures authenticity if to many wannabees are around… don’t hope any one will take it personal!?
wanabeegothguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
nuksaa

So you wish to create this own unique you and find other people the same as your unique self...and that would include an interest in music and sex...Did you actually read your post before submitting it?

1) you don't need to be goth to speak to a goth

2) you don't need to force yourself into preconceived constraints in order to achieve an identity.

3) goths have several interest and are diverse in the pursuit of these interests. (Check out the political section)

I know as we continue to pursue the recognition of the Goth Subculture's Authenticity on the floor of the United Nations (Damn it, Nepal is still holding out in recognizing us), I doubt heavily that you being not goth or having a mild interest in the 'global village' of goth will undermine us, too much, in this endeavor.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:30 AM   #16
Thre3cutS

Wow. The 'wannabe goth' persons in my town worship Marilyn Manson, Lie about cutting themselves, and wear 1,000 chains all over. A little sad if you ask me.
Thre3cutS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:47 AM   #17
bleedingheart344

Thre3cutS, that statement almost makes your username seem a tad hypocritical, if you ask me. But, you may want to introduce yourself in the Introductions forum first, and answer the questions posted at the top of the page.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:44 AM   #18
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by unedifying
Maybe you practice goth by sacrificing teddy bears a few times to make sure you know how to slaughter small pets?

Because, you know, real goths sacrifice small pets to the Almighty Satan. And also they eat babies. I wonder how you practice eating babies? As a real goth, I never had to practice, I just inherently knew. Maybe you're supposed to eat gummy babies, or something. But I don't think they make those in black, and a real goth would never be seen with something as colorful as gummy babies. So I guess that's not it.

Oh, and real goths call thimselves Satanists because they worship Satan. None of that LaVeyan stuff for us, we just worship pure evil, right, guys?

I know all of this, of course, because I'm a True Goth, and True Goths know everything about Gothicness.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #19
Splintered

I think you guys are confusing the term practice.
Practice: a customary way of operation or behavior; "it is their practice to give annual raises"; "they changed their dietary pattern"

That's also another way to use it.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #20
Godslayer Jillian

Not listening; too much in love with Demoness.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #21
chelseagirl

Wannabegothguy, is this what you are trying to say?

1) You dress normal and don't want to have anything to do with actually hanging out in the goth scene, BUT, you like the music associated with the goth culture and have a hard on for goth girls. Thus, you want to meet goth girls who would be into someone like you; and

2) You want to meet other guys like you, who dress normal and are not into the actual goth scene, but like to listen to the music you consider goth, and also like banging goth chicks.

?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #22
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingheart344
Thre3cutS, that statement almost makes your username seem a tad hypocritical, if you ask me. But, you may want to introduce yourself in the Introductions forum first, and answer the questions posted at the top of the page.

Maybe he is trying to imply that, unlike the goth wannabes he is speaking of, he actually does cut himself and is not just lying about it to be cool. Totally uncool either way.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #23
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Maybe you practice goth by sacrificing teddy bears a few times to make sure you know how to slaughter small pets?

Because, you know, real goths sacrifice small pets to the Almighty Satan. And also they eat babies. I wonder how you practice eating babies? As a real goth, I never had to practice, I just inherently knew. Maybe you're supposed to eat gummy babies, or something. But I don't think they make those in black, and a real goth would never be seen with something as colorful as gummy babies. So I guess that's not it.

Oh, and real goths call thimselves Satanists because they worship Satan. None of that LaVeyan stuff for us, we just worship pure evil, right, guys?
Practicing a gothic lifestyle should probably also include cutting yourself, practicing witchcraft and casting spells, drinking blood, and deluding yourself into thinking that vampires actually do exist, and that you are, in fact, one of those noble creatures....

hehe

There is actually a girl on another messageboard that I frequent that lists her "interests" as, and I quote, "cutting, sneaking out at night, and casting spells".
I am half tempted to post a link to her myspace page, where she proudly delcares in her blog that she's "gone wiccan". *sigh* It's quite embarrassing.

bwaahhhaaaahhhaaa!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #24
OnixxFilth

Oh, God! Another sad person who thinks that you can "become" a goth! *laughs hysterically*
Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #25
RobinGreenwood

Wannabegothguy, you picked a silly place to look for wannabes...from what I've seen, they're generally discouraged around here, nothing else by all the ridicule (as you can see) that's directed towards wannabes.

I think if you're calling yourself a wannabe, then you're not a wannabe. Nor are you a goth. You want to meet people like you, right? Actual Wannabes are pretenders trying to be something they're really not, and they're not worth your time (you seem smarter than that). So go to the Introductions page, tell everyone in more detail what sort of people you're looking to meet, and maybe they'll find you there. But I would suggest you don't call yourself a wannabe because you should be yourself, not "wannabe" something you're not. And you don't want to be a wannabe goth. Tell us who YOU are, your interests, etc, and i'm sure you'll meet people you like.
RobinGreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote