Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #101
IsThatLatin

Why is it that, even when no one is doing any "preaching" or "shoving vegetarianism down one's throat," and we are really just having a discussion, someone always has to say how much they hate it when vegetarians do those things...as if to warn us, because clearly that's all we really want to do.: "I'm okay with you, as long as you don't start preaching and shoving it down my throat!" As if we're waiting, poised to strike and start the shoving! Damn, just calm down. I know a lot of other vegetarians but I don't know any who are preachy. I understand if someone's had a lot of encounters with vegetarians preaching to them, but really, I've had a lot of encounters with people who eat meat making fun of me, being generally annoyed with me based entirely on my dietary choices, and who just love to charm me with witticisms like "I didn't claw my way up through the foodchain to eat twigs and berries!"--but I didn't come on here first thing and start bagging on these handful of annoying meateaters. Calm down.
IsThatLatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #102
ArtificialOne

I'm not all excited about that.. I just wanted to let everyone carnivores/omnivores and herbivores allike to know the difference between discussion and preaching... Didn't know that was a t-shirt either.. had some funny midwest kid tell me that when I worked at a resort in Ca. And you do have to admit people regardless of topic if they feel strongly about something they tend to get preachy.. I know I'm guilty!

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #103
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
I'm not all excited about that.. I just wanted to let everyone carnivores/omnivores and herbivores allike to know the difference between discussion and preaching... Didn't know that was a t-shirt either.. had some funny midwest kid tell me that when I worked at a resort in Ca. And you do have to admit people regardless of topic if they feel strongly about something they tend to get preachy.. I know I'm guilty!
"Guilty" as in posting something about an animal rights advocate group eating meat in a thread about vegetarianism?

Thank you, IsThatLatin. The guys I work with are all meat-eaters, and they like to shove burgers in my face and make fun of my personal choice. I have yet to encounter a vegetarian that would do something as rude.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #104
IsThatLatin

It's all good. I just get tired of the usual immediate jump to assuming all vegetarians' are preachy. It's like guys when they're trying to tell their other guy friends that he doesn't mind homosexuals..."as long as they don't start hitting on me!" As if every single homosexual is out to bang every straight guy they find.

It's really hard to talk about topics that people feel very strongly about, one way or the other. You have to be really careful with your words, and considering this is the internet, just typing--without intonation, etc--it's hard to tell where people are really coming from.

DH...your co-workers are assholes. That's been my experience too. I've had meateaters literally shove meat in my face, as if it's even remotely funny. I've never seen a vegetarian do something that disrespectful--besides, if I shoved a breaded chik-patty in someone's face, it wouldn't be nearly as disgusting.

Uncooked tofu, though...that might be kind of gross.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #105
Godslayer Jillian

I was just about to become a vegetarian, but my mom brought home baby back ribs!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #106
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I was just about to become a vegetarian, but my mom brought home baby back ribs!
I tried in the 8th grade to become a vegetarian, and my mom made little smokies.

I am MUCH more determined this time around, though.

And yes, uncooked tofu is disgusting. I tried to eat it once, because I was too tired and lazy to cook myself a damn meal... Bad choice.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #107
Godslayer Jillian

If one doesn't want to feel bad about baby back ribs, just remember they had long fulfilling lives.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #108
IsThatLatin

I wish there were hilarious meateater jokes to make, but I just can't think of any. Oh well.

And yes, uncooked tofu is nasty. At least, I think it is. That's usually what people think of when they think of tofu (if I had a dime for every time someone said that they could never be a vegetarian because the food is disgusting, and they're usually referring to tofu, as if that's all we eat...)...but man, you drian it, cut it up, fry those puppies up, toss them with just the right spices...noodles...yum...hells yeah!

I don't really see what the big deal is about quitting the whole meat thing. It's not like it's an addiction. Quitting smoking is hard, quitting eating meat just isn't. Some would say "Oh, but it tastes good." Well, sure it does, but if you want to quit, you quit. There are so many tasty vegetarian meals out there...not once have I ever missed meat, and I was a big steak fan, mind you. Besides, vegetarian alternatives have come a long way. There's a kick-ass faux-turkeyloaf out there. The "bacon's" not bad, nor is the "sausage". Some of the lunch "meat" leaves little to be desired, but their "salami" and "pepperoni" is pretty good. Chik cutlets and patties, to me, are as tasty as chicken breast and breaded chicken patties. I wish they'd come up with a pork alternative. I'd woof that down.

Anyway...it' not kicking herion. It's just not that hard.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #109
ArtificialOne

Ok I do admit I have something against mushrooms.....I Like the vegie burgers though. Anyone read up on what they are trying now to "grow" meat in vats using like chemicals and proteins...They say it tastes the same.... Ease up on the peta thing jeesh.... like that was 10 posts ago and 2 hrs ago. Might as well be a year!!!! j/k

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #110
IsThatLatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
Ok I do admit I have something against mushrooms.....I Like the vegie burgers though. Anyone read up on what they are trying now to "grow" meat in vats using like chemicals and proteins...They say it tastes the same.... Ease up on the peta thing jeesh.... like that was 10 posts ago and 2 hrs ago. Might as well be a year!!!! j/k
I know what you're talking about...it's comparable to what we do with stem cells. I read that they've done fish; they're working on pork next. I think it's an interesting idea and if it's workable and ethical, I say it's great. I would consider eating that meat. It would be great to have an alternative to the current industries...it'd be nice to put those folks out of business.

Btw, I don't like mushrooms either. It's funny...whenever you have to order a vegetarian meal on a flight, I guarantee it'll have tons of mushrooms, and red and green bell peppers--I hate peppers too. *sigh*
Old 01-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #111
ArtificialOne

I'll never give up meat but some practices are pretty disgusting. you should see in australia they have these giant Abatoires.. (I know I didn't spell that right). Blood and guts everywhere. Also if you ever driven through central cali from bakersfield the huge cattle farms through there smell horrible. I mean with our technology we can't do any better? I'm all for tech that helps obiviously. Lets hope something brings that stuff to an end. I'd like to drive through the central valley withough holding my nose. Also notice how they stuff carrots into all the vegie packs these days. If I wanted that many I'd have bought a whole bag of them!!!!

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #112
nuksaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Basically, cows are kept almost constantly pregnant in order for them to produce milk. Then when they have the calf, it is taken away too soon and fed on formulas laced with artificial supplements and hormones in order for it to grow more muscle and flesh than it should.
The life cycle of a dairy cow. From the age of 2, a dairy cow is desired to have a calf every 12-14 months; this doesn't differ from any other breeding program. (Those cute little puppies that everyone enjoys have even a more rugged breeding process.) The calf is seperated from the mother after the first week and is fed supplemental milk. These supplements have added vitamins and nutrients to ensure a healthy calf. Between the 1-2 months period, they are weened from milk and fed an enriched grain mixture.

Quote:
Then they are sold for slaughter.
The milk producing breeds of cattle have been bred to produce milk. This means their meat production potential is low. Their bodies are structured and all their energy to produce milk, so they are more fatty than the meat producing breeds. To raise these cows for slaughter would cause the dairy farmer to lose money. About the only companies which accept these breeds for their meat are dog food companies and even those are typically the cows which are too old.

Quote:
it'd be nice to put those folks out of business.
Why would it be nice?

Quote:
Also if you ever driven through central cali from bakersfield the huge cattle farms through there smell horrible.
Is it the poop smell? Or are you speaking of a stockyard/slaughterhouse, where they burn the offal?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #113
IsThatLatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksaa

Why would it be nice?

Because we're clearly talking about those folks who raise animals primarily for slaughter, in cruel environments.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #114
nuksaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThatLatin
Because we're clearly talking about those folks who raise animals primarily for slaughter, in cruel environments.
What about those who raise animals for slaughter in non-cruel environments?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #115
IsThatLatin

From a previous post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness

Would you agree with meat-eaters going to the grocery store and buying Organic Free-range Meat?
Quote:
I'm not sure how I could argue with it. i think as long as one is as conscious as one can be about where their food comes from ands tries to support cruelty-free sources of that food, then that's great.
That being said, I can't help but feel that the whole concept of raising living, conscious things for the solitary purpose of killing them is rather icky. That's just me.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #116
nuksaa

Quote:
That being said, I can't help but feel that the whole concept of raising living, conscious things for the solitary purpose of killing them is rather icky. That's just me.
Propose a 'what if' question. If everyone did stop eating meat from these type of animals, what would the solution be as to what to do with these animals? Would we be dooming a species to extinction?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:06 AM   #117
VamPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Ooh, you should try Garenburger's BBQ "Riblets"! They taste just like "real" ribs but are boneless and fit perfectly on a sub/hoagie roll (and OMG the sauce *drool*)

Anyways, I’m Vegan and loving it, and no I don’t buy wool
VamPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:17 AM   #118
VamPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksaa
Propose a 'what if' question. If everyone did stop eating meat from these type of animals, what would the solution be as to what to do with these animals? Would we be dooming a species to extinction?
nope, I talked to my local animal control officer (he oversees the shelter I volunteer at) and he says that farm animals will return to their natural “wild” state in just a couple/few generations (pigs especially)

I say that we (humans) should (slowly over a period of time) should shut down the factory farms, let the animals return to nature where they belong , and get on with fixing human problems
VamPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 AM   #119
ArtificialOne

Funny thing I heard on discovery channel is that pigs are the one animal that is quickest to return to being wild no matter how many gens in captivity. Just look at what damage they do in Australia and Florida when they escape and go native. The wild ones taste allot better than the store bought junk....(not trying to stir controversy with that comment, just making an observation)

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:

Last edited by ArtificialOne; 01-22-2007 at 07:04 AM. Reason: screwed up
Old 01-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #120
DarkHeartedDemoness

The wild ones are also OK to eat, in my opinion. We, humans, are at the top of the food chain. Eating meat is OK. I choose not to eat meat because I can't afford organic free-range, and I don't agree with the way animals are treated before they're killed. I think many of the vegetarians here will agree with me on this, or at the very least let you know that your choices in your diet are your own, and if you think wild piggies are yummy, that's your decision to make.

The majority of vegetarians are not "Meat is Murder" screaming militant hippies with paisley clothing and dreadlocks.

I'm sure you didn't assume that... I just wanted to go over that one more time.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #121
ArtificialOne

Anyone just hear on the news that police busted peta members dumping euthanised dogs? I didn't catch the begining the story...

Yeah I whent hunting in florida with my father and my uncle (I don't by myself as I think it's a waste of time, but my father forces me once in awhile when I visit) But the wild pigs which aren't indigenous to the states are tearing up all sorts of land and local species. Australia has it worse with the pigs digging up croc eggs and eating all sorts of junk thats endangered.... In fact aus has programs that lets people go around and ill these things to help protect local species and plants.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #122
nuksaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamPirate
nope, I talked to my local animal control officer (he oversees the shelter I volunteer at) and he says that farm animals will return to their natural “wild” state in just a couple/few generations (pigs especially)

I say that we (humans) should (slowly over a period of time) should shut down the factory farms, let the animals return to nature where they belong , and get on with fixing human problems
I would agree with the pig scenario. But we would be dooming certain breeds of cows and chickens to extinction, unless they were moved to to a zoo or certain wildlife refuges that have a low predator population. Regardless, a significant population of the domesticated would have to be killed in order to maintain the population at a managable level for wildlife/populated areas.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #123
mindbender

I am vegetarian because of personal ethics and health concerns.
mindbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #124
KontanKarite

What would you call someone who has no set eating habits? I was a vegitarian when I was with this girl who was vegitarian. Then she started eating a little meat here and there. Then I started eating it too. I guess I'm weird. I have no qualms with eating nothing but veggies or eating nothing but meat. I have no real preference over either one.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #125
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Yep. Milk, eggs, and cheese are animal products, not meat. Vegans don't eat any of those. I guess eggs are kind of a fine line, but since they're unfertilized, they're not actually an animal.
Unless you're Catholic.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote