Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Underwater Ophelia

Cleaning Piercings.

Usually I'm really good about my piercings, but about a year and a month ago I got an inverse navel piercing, and it still hasn't healed properly. I cleaned it several times a day, and gave it H2Ocean, but it just keeps on hurting every so often and oozing out tiny bits of junk.
Is there anything I can do about this, or is my body just rejecting it and there's nothing I can do?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
killer_asian_Dax

If it's been about a year and a month then you should probably take it out. Even unter the worst conditions it shouldn't take more than 3 months to heal. Average time is about a month and a half with proper care.

But a year? Sounds like your body has BEEN telling you to get that thing out of you. H2Ocean is a GREAT product! I use it every time I decide I want another hole in me. The bottle/can will say to use it 5-6 times daily, but I used it more like 7-9 times daily.

And don't dab over the piercing once you've sprayed it. Go ahead and clean off the excess that drips down, but let what's ON the piercing AIR DRY. There will be some crusties for a while and it'll hurt for a bit when you go to rotate it, but really- just the H2Ocean works all by itself and it speeds up the healing process.

But ya- sounds like your piercing is a lost cause you you should take it out. And if you so desire- just wait for it to heal and then try again. This time using H2Ocean right off.

Good luck to ya.!

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Killer_Burrito

oww...yeah you should take it out. That's not good. My second ear piercings still do that, so I don't wear earrings in them. Darn failed piercings...
Killer_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

Thanks. That's such a shame...it's really a gorgeous piercing, I think. Being me, I think I'll leave it as long as I can until it really becomes a problem. It doesn't hurt all the time, only once in a while, but I still think it should have been finished...we'll see what happens, I guess.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
shelldoo

My navel took 18 months to heal. it wasn't infected, it was just sore and had the typical crusty stuff. I made an effort to keep my clothing from rubbing it, washed w/ non scented, non colored all natural soap, only once a day. Never turned it. And h2ocean twice a day, it took a long time, but was worth it.
shelldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
c130

Is the "ooze" clear and like regular crusties, or is it yellow/green and smelly? Also is the piercing abnormally warm? If so, it's infected, and you MUST NOT take it out. But it doesn't sound like an infection.

Now it's more likely you've been using non-bio-compatible jewellery (basically, the bar's not pure Titanium or implant grade steel, and it's reacting with your skin to irritate it and prolong/halt proper healing) or it's migrating (being shifted around by your skin to find a more comfortable spot). You can tell if it's migrating because there'll be a red scar where it was originally pierced (it'll form a path across your skin to where the piercing currently is) and it won't have healed fully, hence the crusties. Also you should check you're not wearing any tight clothes or belts that rub on the piercing, which could aggravate it.

Navels can take up to two years to fully heal (can take even longer if it's getting irritated by your waistband, daily activities, jewellery material, etc.), so having a bit of trouble with it even now is not entirely unusual. Surface piercings like this take a long time to settle down.

What you should do is go into a good, reputable body piercing shop and get a piercer to take a look at it. They'll be able to give it a proper check and advise you on the best course of action.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Delicate_Torture

If you are ever worried about a piercing that you have had done, you should go and see your piercer. Look at the variations in advice you have just gotten from people online - people who can not see the piercing and who probably aren't body piercers.

Go and see someone who can look at the piercing and who is qualified to give you advice.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
c130

I'm speaking from personal experience with surface piercings, and regurgitating info from www.bmezine.com lol.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
shelldoo

I love bmezine.com I knew I recognized some of those tips. and I agree w/ you.
shelldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Heatherzilla

BMEzine is my bible. I practically live on there. . And I agree, go see a reputable piercer and listen to their advice.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
Delicate_Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
I'm speaking from personal experience with surface piercings, and regurgitating info from www.bmezine.com lol.
And you might notice that we gave the same advice in the end.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:08 AM   #12
c130

Indeed.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #13
nightmare syndrome

My navel started rejecting, and I completely refused to take it out...
It started pussing, and then the skin got smaller and smaller...

In the end, there was about a quarter inch of skin left, and i took it out.
The top part scabbed, and I completely pulled the piercing apart and let it heal. I was so shocked...I just took the top layer of my own skin off.

Anyways...if it is rejecting, you should definetely take it out, because well...You'd end up scabbing your own skin off.
nightmare syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Underwater Ophelia

I'm pretty sure the ring is surgical steel, and it doesn't smell, and it isn't green. Once in a while it oozes yellow/clear stuff.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:01 AM   #15
c130

You should try to switch to a titanium navel bar. The steel may not be implant grade steel, and the ring may be causing stress by flipping around, catching on stuff, etc.