Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Dark Templar

Graveyards

I know it is a cliché, but i love to take long walks on graveyards. I can’t help it, they are so peaceful and full of history. Is it anyone else on this site ho likes to take walks on graveyards? Witch graveyard does you like the most?

-Stephen King
Dark Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Do you like... does you like? Good Goth, sugar pie, use correct grammar. To be honest I have a lot of favorite cemeteries, there's a beautiful old one in my town that I adore wandering through though.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Sable_Rose

I haven't been to a graveyard in years; the graveyards are no where near where I live. ....But I do like to go places that are peaceful (i.e: libarary, outside when it rains...)

Does anyone else like to read those whatcha-ma-call-its words on the head stones?
Sable_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

I love graveyards. They're pretty, peaceful, and I have a thing for stone.

And yeah, I like to read the epitaphs.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Sable_Rose

Ah, "epitaphs" that's the word.
Sable_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Clockwork

Yes, I like them. I like the arrangement of tall headstones everywhere, reminds me of a chess board. Sadly, I haven't been to one in months, as there aren't any graveyards nearby. My friend on the other hand lives three blocks from a cemetery... and I'm rather jealous =/
Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I LOVE graveyards! I have many, many photos of different cemeteries that I have visited in my travels across the U.S., you can see some by clicking on my homepage on my name link. From Hartford CT and Boston MA, to Hawaii I have been to many, and always take pictures when I visit. I need to update my home page to include Concord CA, Pismo Beach CA, Hartford CT and Boston MA ones I took last winter.
(I fly about a dozen times a year.)

My favorite cemetery is the Oak Hill Cemetery in Cedar Rapids Iowa. My Lord what magnificent mausoleums and tombstones are erected there!
I wander though it every time I go there, at twilight.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Draconysius

English isn't his first language, so forgive his bad grammar. Anyway, I too love taking walks in graveyards. My favorite would have to be the one below my grandmother's house, by the methodist church in Blountsville. I've already decided to take a picture of this graveyard for my album cover.

I love them because they're simply decadent. They can be dark and depressing, but they're so beautiful at the same time. In fact, the dark and depressing factors are another aspect I enjoy of that; it allows me to reflect on those great questions. Headstones and monuments is about as gothic as it gets, baby!
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 AM   #9
Midnight_Fantasy

I find graveyards peaceful but we don't have any old style ones that are beautiful. In Perth everything seems to be slapdash.
Midnight_Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
c130

I do like graveyards... but only the ones that are old enough to be the resting place of nobles, with none of those horribly tacky polished granite headstones in sight. My favourite one is right in the center of Edinburgh; it's walled in and hasn't had anyone new added to it for probably over a hundred years.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:08 AM   #11
Dark Templar

[quote=HumanePain]I LOVE graveyards! I have many, many photos of different cemeteries that I have visited in my travels across the U.S., you can see some by clicking on my homepage on my name link. From Hartford CT and Boston MA, to Hawaii I have been to many, and always take pictures when I visit. I need to update my home page to include Concord CA, Pismo Beach CA, Hartford CT and Boston MA ones I took last winter.
(I fly about a dozen times a year.)
QUOTE]

Beautiful pictures Humane. I have to say that i got a little jealous on you!

My favourite graveyard is the one around "Domkirken" that’s located in the centre of Trondheim.

-Stephen King
Dark Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:20 AM   #12
Lord Macabre

Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Watertown\Cambridge, MA. The only thing I like about Boston besides the Copps Hill graveyard. Also Green's Cemetery in Woodbury, NJ where we used to party back in the 70's and 80's. There is nothing like hanging with the dead as opposed to The Dead.
Lord Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:42 AM   #13
Killer_Burrito

Mt. Auburn Cemetery is where it's at! I often drive around there as well when I'm learning to drive. Strange, I know, but it's great practice! It's so nice and peaceful. My grandparents are buried there. I haven't been to their graves in quite some time though...
>.>
Killer_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
Underwater Ophelia

I don't really like polished gravestones either. I like the really old ones where you can barely read what they say; you have to feel them or do a rubbing.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #15
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Templar
Beautiful pictures Humane. I have to say that i got a little jealous on you!

My favourite graveyard is the one around "Domkirken" that’s located in the centre of Trondheim.
I didn't realise, we're from the same city! Sheeses, who'd have guessed. I love that cemetery too, and often sit under this tree there in summer if things get too hot and stuffy in the city centre...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #16
Lord Macabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Burrito
Mt. Auburn Cemetery is where it's at! I often drive around there as well when I'm learning to drive. Strange, I know, but it's great practice! It's so nice and peaceful. My grandparents are buried there. I haven't been to their graves in quite some time though...
>.>
It is best in autumn and winter on a cloudy day, but also a great walk on a hot summer evening.
Lord Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #17
Vyvian Blackthorne

Graveyards are beautiful. I love nothing more through man made structures then visiting a graveyard on a cold, wintery night-the sky filled with gloom. I could spend there hours in such a place-I feel no fear of the foolish world outside of me. There is only peace, and with this, comes a darkly-inclined philosophy.
Prevalant, perhaps to some, but gems toward myself.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
Vako

In my part of town there is a cemetery a couple of miles from my house. My grandfather is berried there. The cemetery is near the city hall. The district park is right next to the cemetery. It doesn't have those neat, extravagant architectural tombstones, though. It has flat tombstones that are flush with the lawn to make it more convenient for the person they hire to mow the lawn. I've never hung out on the cemetery property it's self, but I go to the park alot so I sort of look over at the cemetary sometimes.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #19
wishcat

I love going to graveyards! I used to take walks with an old friend of mine at lovely graveyards all over town. I haven't really visited any lately because I don't have the time anymore. The only one I go to is the one my dad is burried in. He's burried in a beautifull graveyard. Maybe someday I'll post some pictures of it. =p
Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
Graveyards are beautiful. I love nothing more through man made structures then visiting a graveyard on a cold, wintery night-the sky filled with gloom. I could spend there hours in such a place-I feel no fear of the foolish world outside of me. There is only peace, and with this, comes a darkly-inclined philosophy.
Prevalant, perhaps to some, but gems toward myself.
What the hell are you saying?
What is "prevalant?" Do you mean "prevalent?" If you do, your statement still makes no sense...
Old 03-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #21
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I absolutely adore cemeteries. I have two right near my house and another one downtown by the Catholic church. I normally take walks to the cemetery that is 5 minutes away from my house. I like to write up there and I also like to take photos of the cemetery and edit them. It's always so peaceful and nice to be there.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #22
IsolatedReptile

I thought graveyards are beautiful, but no more so than a well decorated park or woods. I would be just as happy hiking a trail through some forest admiring the natural beauty.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally posted by Underwater Ophelia
What the hell are you saying?
LoL.
Well, that was my mistake. I must have mistaked the defination for being something obvious.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #24
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
LoL.
Well, that was my mistake. I must have mistaked the defination for being something obvious.
Nar. It means widespread.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #25
Vyvian Blackthorne

Well thank you, in advance, for such an interesting (and suprisingly helpful) vocabulary lesson