Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Arashi

Parasols

So, I've seen parasols mentioned several times in the boards, but never a board completely about them. I searched 'em up and didn't find anything, so I think I'm safe to start a thread.

Anyway, I love parasols, but do not have one of my own. I am going to go to China Town in Chicago to see if I can find one either today or tomorow, but I am also looking for more umbrella-type ones, too.

Anyone know where I can get a nice parasol that won't be ridiculously priced? Or even DIY instructions? I'd like to make a lovely lacy one with ribbons and such.

If anyone has pictures of their parasols and would like the share them, that would be nice, too..
Old 03-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
vehemently

I have no idea how to make one, though I assume you could take a very plain black umbrella and sew a lot of lace on.. or use that liquid thread stuff...

But one idea I'd like to recommend, once in a children's toy store, KB toys or Toys R Us or something to that effect, I saw some lovely, overly lacey white and purple parasols, for only about ten dollars.

I'm not sure what it was for exactly, I'm assuming dress-up, but it was quite the find. I'm cursing myself for not getting one now, living in the blistering sun of florida...
vehemently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Arashi

Children's stores? That's interesting, I should take a look around Toys R Us and hope for the best, then..
Old 03-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Cicero

I bought my favourite parasol for $35 from a shop in Hollywood called Necromance. It's really good quality lace, and actually does a good job in keeping the sun off. If you can't make it to Hollywood they have an online store: http://www.necromance.com/index.php?resolution=1024.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
gulfcoastanthem

Wow, Cicero, those are gorgeous parasols!

You can always find plenty of parasols (probably of questionable quality, though) on ebay. Some online Japanese stores that cater to the Gothloli/EGL crowd sell the waterproof type that are ruffly on the edges.

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend, though.
Here are two of those stores:

Metamorphose

Baby, the Stars Shine Bright
gulfcoastanthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
Encaitare

Cicero, thanks so much for that link! What an amazing store...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:29 AM   #7
Arashi

I wish I had $35 to spend on a nice parasol, some of those in the online stores were very beautiful. The only problem is that my mother has been out of a job for a year, no more unemployment checks, and I have no income of my own... On monday I will have $200 available to me to buy clothes in which I need very badly, but that does not include acessories. I've been trying to stick with DIY for everything; I need to get the most of out that money.

Anyway, back from China town, I ended up with two beautiful Chinese parasols. One light blue and one light pink, both with flowers painted on. Only $5 each.. I'm going back on monday with a tad bit more spending money to get an amazing white one I sighted in a closed store window. As for the types of parasols seen in those stores, I'm going to attempt to buy a cheap umbrella at the thrift store and recover it, and add lots of lace and ribbon. It's worth a shot..
Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 AM   #8
Minyaliel

I'm making one myself at the moment, actually. It's quite easy - get an old umbrella from somewhere, rip off the soft part (but do not throw away, you'll have to use it for a pattern later on), get some lace or whatever you want to use and cut it into the shape of whatever the umbrella was covered in before. Fasten it onto the remains of the umbrella and try to bring it into the right shape (that's the tricky part). Decorate to your liking. I found instructions for this online somewhere, in fact it was a site linked to in a thread in this board last summer, so if you search hard enough you should be able to find it.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Arashi

Might this website possibly be it? http://www.gothfashion.info/parasol.php
I just came across that from a google search..
I'm going to try it as soon as I get the money to buy an umbrella and material to recover it..
Old 04-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
badteccy

I got mine from gothiclace

It's kickin rad.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi
Might this website possibly be it? http://www.gothfashion.info/parasol.php
I just came across that from a google search..
I'm going to try it as soon as I get the money to buy an umbrella and material to recover it..
That's it =)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
LiUsAiDh

I have one fron Thailand but I left it at my old house, so I might get it when grandpa dies (don't ask), anyhoo try pursuading somebody going on holiday to an oriental country to get you one, if you know any such person.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
chelseagirl

I've also been trying to find a really nice, parasol-esque umbrella. I definitely want it to function as an umbrella and shield from rain, but look a bit more like a parasol. I came across these:

http://www.brolliesgalore.co.uk/acat...OLLECTION.html

Damn, I wish I had that much money to spend on one. They sure are gorgeous.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #14
Saphyra Runa

GreatShopz.com

This is one of those online shopping malls. You'll see they have a shop called GreatParasolz. There are some interesting parasols there. Some you need to click on to see if they come in a color you want.

Click thru some of the other stores if you get a chance. Some things make you go Hunh?? Some make you think ewwwww. And then there are some that could make you go Oooooooh! I want the grey and black Vincent Van Gogh knee socks in GreatSockz.
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
Arashi

Ooh, thanks to the people who gave websites..
I wish I had the money to buy some of those..
Old 04-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
Your Darkest Secret

either of the following have parasols pretty cheap.

www.kinkyangel.co.uk
www.sohos.com

i've got the Kandy Phaze parasol from the former site. (it looks 100% better than it does in the photo)
Your Darkest Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #17
Dancing_in_rain

Oh! the GothFashion DIY website is my new favourite site! After this one of course =P

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote