Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #51
Clockwork

Jesus Christ. Start one thread with one or two flames and everyone else goes flying off the handle in suit.

I understand that you love your wife and find her attractive, demoniac, but that you feel you could bring out a lot more of her beauty with the appropriate clothing. There's nothing wrong about that. You were perhaps a tad harsh with your statements, but I'm not going to scream at you for that.

If you decide to go along with this, I agree with chelseagirl: don't pressure her. She has the right to dress as she chooses, but there's nothing wrong with opening her eyes if she's willing to accept your advice.

And make sure your relationship with her isn't superficial, otherwise I'll have different advice.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #52
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
If your wife wants a makeover, she'll ask for one.

If you don't think she's pretty, you need to work on your relationship.
I'm sorry, but you're a complete fucking asshole. What the fuck is this, 4chan?

Most people don't "decide" to dress boringly, it's laughable that you think you're defending a FREEDOM OF CHOICE 90% of people make, it's shoved in their faces by society as a whole. There's nothing wrong with wanting someone pretty to show it.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #53
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
You waltzed onto a message board and berated your wife and her sense of self to strangers, all within a time period of less than 20 minutes. Your protests attempting to negate your insults toward her are lame, at best. This post and every response that followed should be forwarded to the woman who agreed to marry you.

Take a hard look in the mirror before you start to sling stones. Forget the physical characteristics you see (which aren't much to brag about) and pay attention to the person behind your own eyes. This is a rude post, whether or not "plain jane" is an insult where you come from. You intended it as a dig at your wife. Don't hide behind ridiculous backtracks that don't hold water.
I don't think his post is rude. I think YOURS is fucking rude.

You're no psychologist, freud. It's obvious he just wants the woman he loves to look more like his ideal woman. I don't see what's wrong with that, you'll call that shallow yet you'll make ridiculously shallow judgements on his entire life and not think twice about it.

I can't believe what a bunch of sheer and utter cunts you all are. You judge someone as shallow yet your own judgements are about as shallow as they can possibly be. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I applaud him for having the guts to recognise a problem.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #54
Godslayer Jillian

Well, it's laughable that you (Rosie) bitch about how they didn't contribute anything to this thread, and yet all you did was precisely that: bitching about them.
That contributes even less to this thread.

What's my opinion?
It will sound harsh, but it's true.
Demoniac, before changing her style, you should both encourage one another to go to the gym.
Being overweight is socially acceptable, but it's still both unhealthy and unaesthetic.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #55
edible_eye

To each his own, really, when it comes to deciding who was rude and who wasn't. No biggie, as far as I'm concerned.

I do find it odd, Rosie that your justification for attacking DarkHearted was as follows - "Most people don't "decide" to dress boringly, it's laughable that you think you're defending a FREEDOM OF CHOICE 90% of people make, it's shoved in their faces by society as a whole." - when, essentially, a woman who isn't contributing to this discussion is being both judged by her husband while unknowingly being set up for some pressure to be set upon her to change.

But again, call it as you see fit.

I'm no Freud, as you stated, but I will say this - anytime someone proclaims to have a better grasp of anything over and above a piece of someone else in relation to the latter, I'll call bullshit. If person A is content being person A, there's no reason or justification for person B to try and "improve" person A, no matter what person B feels would be an "improvement". That's not a judgement on his "entire life", but rather a pertinent question regarding what he's truly attempting to gain here.

Support? Validation? What?

We know nothing about his wife aside from the fact he doesn't like the way she dresses and he wants to change that. He wants to change her. I think that's rude. You obviously feel different.

And DarkHeartedDemoness isn't an asshole. She may be blunt and straightforward at times, but that doesn't make her an asshole - unless, of course, you're offended by those who talk straight and don't pull punches.

And as for this - "I applaud him for having the guts to recognise a problem." - the only one saying she has a problem, again, is him. If she doesn't see her way of dress as a problem, then who is he to say it has to change?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #56
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
I'm sorry, but you're a complete fucking asshole. What the fuck is this, 4chan?

Most people don't "decide" to dress boringly, it's laughable that you think you're defending a FREEDOM OF CHOICE 90% of people make, it's shoved in their faces by society as a whole. There's nothing wrong with wanting someone pretty to show it.
Rosie, I think you over reacted to DHD's comment. This reaction may mean that you are perhaps defending demoniac because you know him outside this forum? I don't know, I am just curious.

Is this the case? Perhaps you are even the one in the photo with him?
Just a guess.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #57
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.wes straker
*Smacks hand against forehead.* Man, I'm a loser.
No, I'm sure you're not alone in that. In New Jersey or Long Island (whever he's really from) he's probably the sexiest man alive-judging from what I've seen there. Bloopie's just a loner, that's all. Poor guy, no wonder he was so mean~!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #58
maggot

Rosie is a man.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #59
Godslayer Jillian

Where ever did you get that idea?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #60
MollyMac

The Adam's Apple juts out of her posts.

I recall Rosie being brash and left field way back in the day, as well. Hardly matters, I just can't understand how one would consider this thread a good decision?

If he said that his wife wanted to do something different, that would be one thing. But if she is content, let content be. What are clothes when you have an imagination?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #61
maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Where ever did you get that idea?

Both Mollymac's reasons and the fact that Xng says so.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #62
Encaitare

Demoniac, can you please spell "atheist" correctly in your user title? Wacked-out fundamentalists are supposed to be the ones who can't spell.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #63
mrs.wes straker

I don't care what Rosie or anyone says. This isn't a bandwagon issue. If my husband disrespected me by posting something like this online I would be well within my rights to be pissed. I wouldn't hide it, either.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #64
Godslayer Jillian

But there's a picture of her (him?) in one thread she(he?) made and it's a woman (man?) O_o

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #65
MollyMac

It'd be hidden, but only until the swelling of his blackened eyes subsided.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #66
maggot

It's a transvestite. Seriously.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #67
mrs.wes straker

Arf, ruff ruff ruff bark. Arf!

Ahem.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #68
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.wes straker
Arf, ruff ruff ruff bark. Arf!

Ahem.
So you're straight too?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #69
mrs.wes straker

To tell you the truth, I don't know why I was barking. It just felt right. !
Old 04-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #70
HumanePain

Oh, I thought it was in response to the transvestite comment Mag made.
Gays and others sometimes refer to straights as "bow wows", hence the barking.
I think too much. Or not enough.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #71
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Oh, I thought it was in response to the transvestite comment Mag made.
Gays and others sometimes refer to straights as "bow wows", hence the barking.
I think too much. Or not enough.
I have issues with slang. I'm never up to date. I think everything from the 80s is awesome and ultra-mod. So now you know who's not thinking. It's me. *grins*
Ruff!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:43 AM   #72
xmorpheus

ok.......

It's difficult to tell from the photo, but I'm guessing she's not a stick insect so she may have some shyness issues if she feels she's "overweight". i use that term in the loosest possible sense since the media seem to think that anything over a size zero (size zero - WTF!) is overweight these days. If so, she may have decided to a) not bother as she doesn't feel she looks good in anything so why waste time and money and b) she doesn't want to draw attention to herself. If you want to combat that, you have to bolster her self-esteem. If she feels you don't find her attractive, that's just going to re-inforce the negative self-image. Let's hope she doesn't lurk here or you may just have sent her into a downward spiral......

I'm with Chelseagirl on this - if you want her to glam up a bit, give her an incentive.

Organise a special occasion - maybe an anniversary - and book a good night out - or better still a weekend away somewhere, with a posh dinner thrown in.

Then you pick an outfit (and I strongly advise you to get some female guidance on this - a guy's idea of what is sexy and a woman's idea of what is trashy can sometimes be disturbingly close!) and buy it for her as a surprise. Alternatively, rope in one of her friends or maybe a sister, get her a gift voucher and send them shopping.

A spa day would also be a good idea.

Also, from the pic, you're not really looking like Mr. Glam yourself. Maybe if you made a bit more of an effort, she would too? There's nothing worse then getting all dolled up for a night out and seeing your partner in a wrinkled shirt and jeans without so much as a brush through the hair and some pit spray!

It's not a criticism - just a reminder that these things cut both ways. If you've stopped trying to make yourself attractive for her, why on earth would she bother doing so for you?
xmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 AM   #73
CLV

Rosie is talking shite. The guy should have never posted a pic of his wife saying she needs a make-over in the first place. If I was his wife I'd be VERY upset if I found out, especially if I was already self conscious of the way I looked in the first place.

By posting the pic he deserved all the bad advice anyone could offer.
CLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 AM   #74
xmorpheus

CLV, I happen to agree - but at the same time, since he did do it, there's no point in giving him bad advice that - if he's silly enough to take it - will rebound on the poor girl.

It's not her fault so why not give some halfway decent advice that might at least get him to make the effort to spend a bit of money and quality time with her.
xmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:39 AM   #75
CLV

Ok...altho I did give VERY good advice initially (see eyeliner posts).

I suggest he stops worrying about what his gf wears. But next time she dresses up and looks great, he says maaaaaaan you looook goooood.

or...whilst his gf is there he starts checking out loads of other women in a very obvious fashion, like 'wooooaaahhhhh momma she looks hot' etc etc....this might keep her on her toes.

(please ignore second piece of advice)
CLV is offline   Reply With Quote