Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #126
Godslayer Jillian

I love Dimmu Borgir. They use a lot of instruments fit for an orchestra.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:37 AM   #127
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
Dimmu Borgir without a doubt.
The fact that Cradle of Filth is the best selling black metal band scares me.
happy_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #128
De_Mons

I'd vote Cof because of the vocals and dani
De_Mons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #129
OnixxFilth

Cradle for sure! Dani is hot and he has awesome vocals! Anyone know how he can scream like that and still be able to speak in a normal voice (with that charming British accent of his :X) ?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #130
Calamity

I'm gonna go with Cradle. I've been listening to Cradle way longer than Dimmu and honestly I don't think Dimmu is that great. I love Cradle's lyrics and Dani's voice.
Calamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #131
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiC
Just Wondering What do people think of cradle of filth and dimmu borgir??? :twisted:
Neither. I do not like or agree with growly, puky, "cookie monster" vocals in Metal of any kind. Metal is intended to be immaculate, handsome, and romantic. Not the vocal sound of someone horking because Satan and demons are 'coo'.

No on Cradle of Filth. (aptly named). No on Dimmu Borgir.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #132
Splintered

I disagree.

I believe that metal can (read, not should) be harsh, brutal, and destructive. I din't believe that being immaculate, handsome, or romantic are characteristics required of metal. Case and point: Bolt Thrower, Behemoth, Napalm Death, and Amon Amarth. They are all fine bands, and have harsh vocals, are loud, not too clean, and yet are very talented. Sure, it takes some time to get used to, but there is a certain aesthetic quality too it.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #133
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
I disagree.

I believe that metal can (read, not should) be harsh, brutal, and destructive. I din't believe that being immaculate, handsome, or romantic are characteristics required of metal. Case and point: Bolt Thrower, Behemoth, Napalm Death, and Amon Amarth. They are all fine bands, and have harsh vocals, are loud, not too clean, and yet are very talented. Sure, it takes some time to get used to, but there is a certain aesthetic quality too it.
You and I like different kinds of metal. I'm more into the clean, soaring, melodic vocals, you are into the more brutal sound. It is all metal, but I prefer the immaculate kind.

I must admit that I don't understand the "destruction" part you mentioned. It seems more constructive to me.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #134
Splintered

With nearly all other sorts of music, you can sort of get the feel that it is being built up or maintained. Like some kind of highly advanced building that is being built up. For some reason, it seems like the kind of metal I'm referring to is fastpaced and trying to break those buildings down. It's mental image, but I think it serves my point.

AS for immaculate kinds of metal. Could you list any bands you're referring too?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #135
DeathChii

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
No suprise. You are just a stereotypical 'gawth' teen, aren't you? Your posts are making Ian Curtis weep.
Just because she likes a certian band she automaticaly becomes a poser? Ever thought that maybe it's just her taste in music? =\
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #136
DeathChii

I enjoy some metal bands; ie: Megadeth. =]
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #137
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
With nearly all other sorts of music, you can sort of get the feel that it is being built up or maintained. Like some kind of highly advanced building that is being built up. For some reason, it seems like the kind of metal I'm referring to is fastpaced and trying to break those buildings down. It's mental image, but I think it serves my point.

AS for immaculate kinds of metal. Could you list any bands you're referring too?
Yes, here is a link to a post I made in a Metal thread a couple of months ago that can answer your question.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showpo...9&postcount=20
Old 06-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #138
Romantic Raven

I like Cradle of Filth better than Dimmu Borgir, although some say that they've become a bit too commercial lately.

I'm a bit disappointed with some people around here. I didn't know that one is considered to be Goth if one ONLY listens to Goth music. Just because you listen to metal too, BESIDES Gothic bands, it doesn't mean you're just a poser. I expected a bit more open-mindedness. Obviously, I'm just an idealist.
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #139
Vic

Dimmu.
Basically because my Boyfriend made a video with 'Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse' playing in the background and it was hilarious!
He recorded his sister dancing stupid and recorded his African Grey swinging in his cage - It was like a dance off. Good stuff. So whenever I hear Dimmu now, thats what I think of!

COF annoy me quite a bit if I'm honest. Dani is sometimes funny when he makes stupid comments. Like once he was talking about a performance and he blamed God for ruining it, because it rained. . . . .
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 AM   #140
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic Raven
I'm a bit disappointed with some people around here. I didn't know that one is considered to be Goth if one ONLY listens to Goth music. Just because you listen to metal too, BESIDES Gothic bands, it doesn't mean you're just a poser. I expected a bit more open-mindedness. Obviously, I'm just an idealist.
Hun, most of the posts here are over a year old, made by people who are no longer around.

It is accepted for goths to listen to other bands too around here. Just read one of the many threads about what goth is.

I personally think that some of Dimmu's more classical/symphonic inspired songs are quite good.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #141
Godslayer Jillian

Well, you have to give credit to Horrorgirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic Raven
I expected a bit more open-mindedness.
Actually, you're the prejudicial one in here. You're disappointed by Horrorgirl based on one post you read of her responding to the original post of this thread.
Have you read any more posts by Horrorgirl to know how open-minded or close-minded she is? (Obviously this can't be done with SiC. He only posted once)

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #142
Vyvian Blackthorne

Good goth, Jillian is so goth he ressurects old threads...oh wait...nevremind (purposely mispelled) I actually perfer Dimmu, because they're actually good and not sell outs. But I DO like an aspect of Cradle of Filth's work; just because it's based on Gothic Literature and influenced by some old school goth. But I guess that means I really don't like either bands, I just like goth generally. Hurr.
Goth Forever
Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #143
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
Yes, here is a link to a post I made in a Metal thread a couple of months ago that can answer your question.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showpo...9&postcount=20
Ahhhhhh.
That makes a lot more sense now. Your list seems to be more Power/Melodic Death/etc. Alright. That makes a lot more sense.