Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #26
Jarl

I like how schools are flawed, the one I went to was really rough, which is good because it was a decent representation of the real world. I hate the private christian schools and their idea of a school environment, I visited my girlfriends private christian school once or twice and it was scary.... they actually let the graduates loose each year with he delusion that they will be treated with equality and kindness...
Jarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #27
Jarl

The biggest lie is "if you break the rules you will be punished"...

all they ever did to me was send me home on a fun holiday every now and then or put me in a separate room alone where I listened to music as opposed to being stuck in the class with insane teachers and ape like students. But I guess some of you care about your education.... I don't much care for fancy jobs for fancy cars and houses. All I need is food and bed... and a girlfriend.
Jarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #28
Lapin

Private Christian schools are rather creepifying. They're all very quiet and . . . well, just not normal-like, you know? Kids are supposed to be loud and boisterous and creative, not all uniformed-out and compliant and silent.

My high school was pretty diverse.

I just hate the insensitivity of people my age. A boy at my school died on graduation night. I work in the same general building. Now people keep asking me if I knew him.

"Yes I knew him, and it really freaking hurts right now, so if you could stop reminding me that he's dead every two damn seconds, I'd really fucking appreciate it!"

Of course, if I said that, I'd get fired.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #29
james"bloody tears"

biggest lie I was ever told "no matter what you will be excepted(sp)" bull sh** they attempted to run me off every day(both students and staff)

biggest truth "high school will be the greatest years of your life" its were i met me wife

love me or hate me i wont change

the eyes are the windows to the soul, are you afraid of what you see?
james"bloody tears" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #30
DeathChii

The math they teach you is so pointless in relation to real life...
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #31
Extraordinary

I think that was already covered and the conclusion was the following equation:

MATH = MONEY OK
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #32
DeathChii

Math is really hard to do when you are stoned x]
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #33
Edward

You know what guys, this is just disgusting, your bitching about a minorly flawed school system, which is in fact flawed by the students, not the faculty, I am directly involved in the building and supporting of several public schools in the area of Guatemula, I raise massive amounts of money, and every 2 years I go down their, and help them, and THEY know what school is about, they don't take it for granted, and they don't bitch about it, they march right into the tiny, hot classrooms, every day, and they do it exitedly and with a smile on their faces.

At my school I am Harrassed on a daily basis, verbally, physically, and sexually, which is very annoying, but I realise, as much as those losers are their to make my day just that much worse, I have to go to school every day and go through the motions, because if I want to do anything with my life, I have to get started with a high school education, people have made changes without it, but not many, and I plan to go through the motions for the 5 hours of the day I have classes, and this time next year, I will have graduated, and I will be gettin my diploma with a smile on my face, not because I'm "finally over with high school" from what I've been led to believe, High School, is "life light", and the dickwads, and the lies, they don't go away, my smile will be because I'm one step closer to making my mark.

"Red velvet lines the black box."
~Peter Murphy

*Holding a gun to Robert Smiths Head.*
Smith: DON'T KILL ME!!!
Me: STOP EATING!!!
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #34
Extraordinary

Oh, look at the big scholar with her DIPLOMA.

So what, my GED's not good enough for you now, Mcdonalds?

[P.S. IN THE FUTURE MCDONALDS WILL REQUIRE A COLLEGE DEGREE]
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #35
dark_dragon_of_ice

Math helps me with awesome physics and stuff XD
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #36
Edward

uhm, scholar, diploma? I haven't graduated yet, I don't even have good marks, I just realise how much harder it is to get places without some sort of high school diploma, yeah, you can get a great job without one, I'm not saying all hope is lost, I am just saying, for what I want to do with my life, I'm going to have to go through the motions, and graduate. And yes, I do work at McDonalds, but I would rather work hard at a job where I am treated like a robot, than have a job I settled for, I chose to work their, I could work eslewhere, but I actually enjoy it, McDonalds is probably the best job a 17 year old can have while trying to get through school.

~Peter Murphy

Old 06-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #37
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
You know what guys, this is just disgusting, your bitching about a minorly flawed school system, which is in fact flawed by the students, not the faculty, I am directly involved in the building and supporting of several public schools in the area of Guatemula, I raise massive amounts of money, and every 2 years I go down their, and help them, and THEY know what school is about, they don't take it for granted, and they don't bitch about it, they march right into the tiny, hot classrooms, every day, and they do it exitedly and with a smile on their faces.

At my school I am Harrassed on a daily basis, verbally, physically, and sexually, which is very annoying, but I realise, as much as those losers are their to make my day just that much worse, I have to go to school every day and go through the motions, because if I want to do anything with my life, I have to get started with a high school education, people have made changes without it, but not many, and I plan to go through the motions for the 5 hours of the day I have classes, and this time next year, I will have graduated, and I will be gettin my diploma with a smile on my face, not because I'm "finally over with high school" from what I've been led to believe, High School, is "life light", and the dickwads, and the lies, they don't go away, my smile will be because I'm one step closer to making my mark.
Ah, thank you for presenting a different and quite valid perspective.
Well said.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:25 AM   #38
c130

I hated highschool. None of it was useful to me for any reason beyond having grades to show future educational institutions and employers that I'm not a complete retard.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:25 AM   #39
Aaroneet

Quote:

I actually like the academics part of it, just not the preppy "Go (name of school here)!" part of it. But you're right. We do lose sight of our priveges, and what we feel we are simply entitled to have. It's not like school is just some form of sadism developed by the country to help militarize its youth (even though I do believe that to a certain extent). But there are minor obstacles we have to face, and that are irksome. Until we know what it's like to have to sit in those "hot classrooms", we will continue to "bitch" about these petty things. As for the faculty part, I don't entirely agree.

My brother asked his second grade teacher to spell the word "mathematician". She spelled it "mathmatition". He received a perfect score on every test he took that year, in first grade, and in kindergarten, yet the system would still refuse to place him in a Gifted Program because he couldn't use a scissor. Meanwhile, they're looking at a kid who learned to read practically before he could stand up, was at an accelerated reading level, was mathematically gifted, and was teaching others around him how to read. If that doesn't demonstrate ineptitude on the part of the faculty, then I don't know what does.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:26 AM   #40
Edward

I try my hardest. I'm just annoyed that everyone thinks they have it bad because they have the chance at an education. No matter how much of a jerk students and teachers are to each other.

~Peter Murphy

Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #41
Aaroneet

Again, you're not wrong, and we need to put these types of petty matters into perspective every once in a while.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #42
Saphyra Runa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChii
The math they teach you is so pointless in relation to real life...
I said the same thing when I was your age. Math is used everyday of your life you just don't think about it as math.

Though I never did understand about theorems and all that crap in geometry. Why does line A intersect with line B? Because I took my pencil and I drew it that way that's why. Needless to say my teacher and I had many, err, umm, discussions. Good man though. I managed to pass despite my attitude.

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #43
Extraordinary

Quote:
uhm, scholar, diploma? I haven't graduated yet...And yes, I do work at McDonalds...I actually enjoy it, McDonalds is...the best...school.

You know, I was joking about thinking that you were bragging about having a diploma (which you don't even have yet, I know). Why does no one on this website understand anything humorous if it's not about sporks or pancakes?

But way more importantly, ROFL. What a coincidence that you actually DO work at Mcdonalds. I don't know why you admitted that right after I said it, though. That is so awesome, I want to print this out and frame it for Christ's sake.

[ P.S. LUCKILY YOU ARE NOT IN THE FUTURE ]
Old 06-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #44
raggedyanne

As much as I bitch about school on this site, I realize that everyday the staff presents us with material that will be beneficial to my future, I just have to find it. I am harassed, ridiculed, beaten up, stalked, mentally tortured, degraded, etc. because I choose to be different. The biggest lie they tell you is that everyone gets the same education. You get out what you put in. Outside factors may attempt to prevent you from having the perfect school experience but you have to ignore them. This last school year I had some teachers that really fucked with my brain. My core teacher was so screwed up that she sat at her desk and glared at me all period. She abused her authority and her students, grading unfairly and basicly not teaching. My geometry teacher was so offended that an eighth grader had made it into his honors 9th grade geometry class that he scrutinized my work excessivly and constantly told me I was not mature or talented enough to be there. I got a D+ in both those classes. I could have done better, but I let them get to me. To succeed in school you pretty much need to ignore everyone except the teachers and students who inspire you to learn. Lying is the school administrator's greatest skill. It is the job of the student to find the truth behind the propaganda.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #45
Extraordinary

Anybody else ever wonder why public schools teach you chemistry but not how to do your taxes, except taxes are mandatory and chemistry is never used by anybody ever?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #46
dark_dragon_of_ice

Chemistry is used by only by the ultra cool wannabe scientists....like me!!!
And chemistry is everywhere and is very important...unless you like ignorance of the world around you.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 AM   #47
CptSternn

The biggest lie was that they encouraged kids to think and be creative, where in reality high schools do just the opposite.

As far as their usefulness, unfortunately, they are like college - just a set of hoops ye have to jump through so the powers that be know yer able to follow orders well enough to do what they tell you.

It makes both institutions a necessity, but for all the wrong reasons.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:18 AM   #48
Senor_Sadomachism

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Want to make $150,000 a year U.S.?
Then learn Trigonometry and Quadratic Equations. And the Calculus.
Use it to get a degree in Physics with an emphasis in Photonics, Optics, Electro-Optics or Laser Engineering.

Then you can afford a very decadent goth lifestyle and buy all the clothes and music you like.

So yes, it can be used in the real world if you apply it and yourself.
Soon you will all be wearing clothes with flexible organic based LEDs so your shirt can be a computer monitor with a dynamically changing wallpaper and YouTube videos playing on your back, thanks to people who learned mathematics.

That part is not a lie. It may be difficult for most, and attainable by only a rare and gifted few, but it is not a lie. The rest is, unfortunately.
Agreed. Enough with the teen angst! And stuff... Umm yeah first of all... this is the truth. The world is surrounded and made by Math. Someone had to know the equation to measure the l and w = h of a room. Someone had to know Math to make a piece of machinery to cut the pieces. Someone had to know Math to tell how big the piece of metal is to cut off for that Bat Mobile you've always wanted. Someone had to know Math to even make that machine in the first place. Someone had to know Math to make that...

sewing machine
the machine to make the sewing machine
machine to cut metal to make something, computer, car, Ipod, dildos, you name it! Did I mention someone had to know math to calculate the price of those Cyberlox you just brought? I could go on and on but I forgot. There's a lot more to it.
Senor_Sadomachism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:28 AM   #49
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary
Anybody else ever wonder why public schools teach you chemistry but not how to do your taxes, except taxes are mandatory and chemistry is never used by anybody ever?
At the time I was in high school (eons ago), math classes were more rigorous, and most everyone graduated knowing the simple mathematics required by the tax forms of the time, which were simpler back then than they are now.
One could do taxes with the math that was taught.

Now days the tax forms still use simple math as pertains to the actual calculations, but what they do require (and is not taught as part of the general requirements in high school) is the perspective and understanding of a lawyer.

Yes, doing taxes should be taught prior to adulthood.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:01 AM   #50
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneet
My brother asked his second grade teacher to spell the word "mathematician". She spelled it "mathmatition".
My language teacher is like that. And they let her teach people of 17-18 years old who are going to get into University. She gave me bad marks because she said that she couldn't understand what I wrote, that the words were too elaborate for the situation. My parents had to complain and everything, and things turned out well in the end, but I was so annoyed...

Trust me, in Spain, the educational system is absolute RUBBISH. There are no exams to separate good student from bad students (like there are, for example, in Britain) and I have had to be stuck with people who don't know anything and don't care through all my life. They're making the level go lower because they need to get people out of school, and they want their statistics of scholar failure to decrease; so in a couple of years, people will be able to enter university with 3 subjects failed.

I finished high school last month. Tomorrow I'm doing an exam to enter University, and luckily, I will not have to cope with this shit any longer
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote