Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL

Ghastly Crumb Tiny of the Month

Since I love this book ...
The Ghastly Crumb Tiny for April is:

"Q "

Since I can not print the writing here else breaking copyright agreements, I will discuss it instead. I hope most of you all are familiar with this book by Edward Gorey. If not, ah well ... look it up on Amazon.com or download a copy. It's a small book of witty lines and great penned (I believe) drawings.

April and spring are synonymous to me. The snowy wasteland that Canada once was has melted and the ground is muddy; the sun is out and the air is feeling fresh and so much warmer. It's bound to happen that a little boy will be running along flying his kite and unsuspectingly sink in a mire (freshly thawed from the snow)- an area of wet, soggy and muddy ground.

Looking at mire from a different definition ... Poor Quinten sank in a mire when he found out he was failing his classes ... And then he sank in a mire and died. (its implied even if it is not spicifically spelled out in the book.)

April is close to the end of the school year and around this time, if you are in school, you are either failing or doing okay. Of course if you are failing you could sink in a mire, fall into a state of learned helplessness and then fail completely come June or the end of April - whenever your school term ends. It's a great time for mires of both definitions (except if you live some place with only one season or do not go to school).

If you've read the book, what letter is April for you?
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
ThwanCondu

...I've read Gashlycrumb Tinies, but what's this Ghastly Crumb of which you speak?
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Jane13

Edward Gorey is so freakin awesome ^.^
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
ThwanCondu

And how! My friend got an Edward Gorey tattoo! I'm so jealous.
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Steel & Bismark

I love edward gorey, I inherited a lot of my sister's books by him when she went to college. I particularly love "T is for Titus who flew into bits".
Steel & Bismark is offline   Reply With Quote